User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by rivercrow
    I often describe myself as "having had the F beaten out of me" as a kid.
    That would be a 'me too'.

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotTooPopular View Post
    Actually, I didn't express feelings because I felt it wasn't safe to do so.
    And another 'me too', although it was definitely a not safe thing to do, as opposed to just feeling like it wasn't safe.
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by bluebell View Post
    That would be a 'me too'.

And another 'me too', although it was definitely a not safe thing to do, as opposed to just feeling like it wasn't safe.
    Well just because I felt like it wasn't safe doesn't imply that it really was safe.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Actually, what I think I'm experiencing these days is a sort of rare trading of dominance. What I mean is that typically INTPs are dominated by Ti. Ne is there, but it's subject to Ti; some say it feeds Ti. Even Si seems to be subject to Ti. There seems to be a rare trading of dominance, though, between Ti and Fi. I think it might be related to high introversion and high perceiving, making me very much an introverted judger.

Any body else notice a sort of function dominance and even trading dominance?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I do have this theory that all kids tend to spend most of their time acting like SFPs. Introversion and Extroversion seem to be very present during childhood, though. I don't really know that much about kids.
    From my experience, kids all do have fairly clear type preferences (at least 3 out of the 4)... but as kids they are also in that "explore the world and experience sensation" mode -- and I think that is what you might be reading as the "SFP" thing.

Even my INxx kids commonly get into that mode, where they become rambunctious and mess with everything and go nutty just because they can. It's sort of nice to see for the INxx kids who easily could become withdrawn and self-encapsulated; I wish the ESFP would sometimes drop back into IT mode, though.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

I wonder if I'm an INFP forced into emotional flatness. Then I wonder if that explains all INTP type nines. I'm the youngest child, and at home I was surrounded by 3 NT guys and never had a good relationship with my ESFJ mom.
    Yes that explains it.

MBTI
    INFJ

I do have this theory that all kids tend to spend most of their time acting like SFPs. Introversion and Extroversion seem to be very present during childhood, though. I don't really know that much about kids.
    no, I have a child and she is clearly an F, yes (and an introvert). She loves to be messy. She seems to have no logic at all. She is 7 years old.

But her best friend (8 years old) is very different. She is an extrovert. She does seem to have more logic, more self control and almost no intuition. She does not like to be messy either.

My mother (INTP) describes herself from the age of 4 years old as being very cerebral and logical, learning to read the NYT at the age of 4 and given an IQ test at the age of 6 because she was so gifted.

There are clearly different types. There is a great website that explains childrens' types.

Personality and Kids
    People who get nostalgic about childhood were obviously never children.
    Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes
    US cartoonist (1958 - )

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

As a little kid I was introverted, but eventually I got the E beaten out of me. I was probably always an F, but I used to make a huge effort to suppress it from showing, especially in public. I always viewed my NF-ness as a weakness as a child. But as I grew and had the E beaten out of me because my family wanted me to make an impression socially, I found that I was more comfortable with showing my F. These days I think I've fully learned to control my emotions, and suppress them when acting upon them would not benefit me. It's still an almost-conscious effort for me to do this though. You know what helps to distract you and make you emotionally neutral? Choosing a 4-digit number and counting backwards in increments of 7.
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

MBTI
    ENTP

I remember as a kid, seeing my sister having temper tantrums and feeling contempt for her and how she made such a spectacle of herself, wondering how she could have so little self-respect. And I remember sneering at my aunts when they'd all be hugging and kissing each other like long lost friends, when they only saw each other two days before, and my brother and I used to make fun of them - but my brother's ENFP so I'm not sure that's an exclusive T thing.

Dufresne makes a good point in that most of us looking back to when we were kids, would think we seem to have grown less emotional, but comparing our child selves to our adult selves perhaps isn't as productive or enlightening as comparing our child selves to other children of the same ages, either then or now.

Like Jennifer, I remember making a conscious decision not to cry again, and I remember there was a time when I was sorta proudly counting the days, then weeks, then months, before I lost count when it went into years, since I'd last cried, when I was about 8 that started.

Ah - there's the other thing: when I was about 12 I remember asking my mom what the hell 'values' means, I didn't understand the concept or the use of it, but just heard people talking about it all the time. And I thought it was silly when she explained it, and said you can't have fixed values because I only 'valued' whatever was most useful or prudent at the time, which changed according to the situation. I didn't get it.

And I remember my uncle, an architect living in Canada and probably ENTP, saying to my mom when she was stressing about my social skills, that she shouldn't worry because I was interested in people, but just more in a kind of 'bug under a microscope' way, a 'poke with stick to see what it does' kind of way!
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Maybe I am just the weird form of INTP, the type 9 kind instead of type 5. Maybe there's just rare emotional times when all INTPs end up feeling and acting like INFPs.
    I've always been under the impression that I'm an emotion stuffer, and I'm a lot colder and unemotional than I should be.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Maybe I am just the weird form of INTP, the type 9 kind instead of type 5. Maybe there's just rare emotional times when all INTPs end up feeling and acting like INFPs.
    I've always been under the impression that I'm an emotion stuffer, and I'm a lot colder and unemotional than I should be.
    Well, I've seen both INFPs and INTPs type as Nines, so it's possible there is some overlapping behavior there.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft