• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mild grunting, few words and full sentences only when neccessary.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Do most introverts communicate like this and does the idea of a world without verbal communication not freak you out in the least.

(When I read about communication being the be-all and end-all of a relashionship I shudder, and wonder how the heck I'm gonna make it with someone!)

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's entertaining to think about, but at first you have to talk more to set the foundation for later assumptions. Once the couple knows enough about each other about 80% of things could probably be communicated this way. It is, however, a good idea to maintain use of a full vocabulary and grammar as it still does end up useful.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I've actually gotten to the point where I'll tell people "I don't want to have a conversation like that." instead of feigning mild interest.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Now you've gone and ruined a possible friendship...

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I'd like to live in a world like that only if it only applied to people I don't like.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I don't talk a whole lot. Just don't feel its always necessary to fill the air with sound and say whatever comes to mind. Sometimes I'm in a "chatty" mood but its not that severe. Hah

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Do most introverts communicate like this and does the idea of a world without verbal communication not freak you out in the least.

(When I read about communication being the be-all and end-all of a relashionship I shudder, and wonder how the heck I'm gonna make it with someone!)

Quality, not quantity. And introverts can really go off on the stuff they care about, especially in small groups.

Make sure you talk when you need to talk about something - and just find someone who does the same.

My wife and I got out for dinner once a week, and often end up spending at least one other night together. That's when we talk about all the major issues - money, relationships, stress, worries, etc. The rest of the time, we end up nattering on about the things we care about - my projects, her school work...

Introverts can talk, and often better than extraverts, least in small groups. The closer we are, the more we do.

batumi

MBTI Type
infj
I don't talk a whole lot. Just don't feel its always necessary to fill the air with sound and say whatever comes to mind. Sometimes I'm in a "chatty" mood but its not that severe. Hah
There are certainly many ways to connect to others. I am dating an ISTJ however and I find it frustrating when another way to connect doesn't replace talking.
I can handle and even enjoy silence, but how about some occasional eye contact, for instance?
Can you offer any feedback on this?

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Yeah, you're right, there should be some replacement. I can almost imagine the scene. He's completely wrapped up in himself and doesn't let you in. If I'm right, he has bigger issues if I'm wrong - have you spoken to him about? You'll have to spell it out.

Or just grab him and sqeeeze him and loooooove him.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
We know there is such a thing as under-communicating but does anyone think there is such a thing as over-communicating?

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
We know there is such a thing as under-communicating but does anyone think there is such a thing as over-communicating?

To a specific audience, yes. It really depends on the individuals concerned, and it is impossible to generalise. One man's golden silence, is another man's awkward pause.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
To a specific audience, yes. It really depends on the individuals concerned, and it is impossible to generalise. One man's golden silence, is another man's awkward pause.

What a dance.

6sticks

MBTI Type
istp
Mm. Eh.

Communication isn't just verbal.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
When I'm in a situation or conversation where I can tell that others expect me to be talkative, I do it, but mostly just to accommodate them. It literally takes too much energy out of me; when I'm done I give a huge sigh and lie down for a minute, and am generally a little annoyed.
batumi said:
I can handle and even enjoy silence, but how about some occasional eye contact, for instance?
Can you offer any feedback on this?
Just sounds like he's shy and nervous. Can't think of what to do to get things going, but I can tell what not to do, if you're really stumped. The situation doesn't really sound bad, though...

ArbiterDewey

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Definitely grunting, especially after getting up in the mornings. After "waking up," full sentences are used.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, you're right, there should be some replacement. I can almost imagine the scene. He's completely wrapped up in himself and doesn't let you in. If I'm right, he has bigger issues if I'm wrong - have you spoken to him about? You'll have to spell it out.

Or just grab him and sqeeeze him and loooooove him.

This.

NYmac86

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I do this on the phone and with small talk with strangers I think to be too peering, nosy, into my rigidness which is sometimes there for a reason and their wayward nosiness not! (People you meet at parties and hound you the one time you'll ever see them in your life anyone?)