• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Insulting Stereotyping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mvika

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Lately, I have spent some time looking at the various YouTube videos on MBTI in general and on ENFPs in particular! RAGE!! That is what I feel! This is such BULLSHIT about feelers and Ps in particular acting like Jerry Lewis on Ecstasy! I mean it is worth an X-files episode to investigate how someone this puerile and ludicrous would survive in the real world, if not thrive in it, acting the way ENFPs are portrayed in these videos!:angry::BangHead:

I am at a loss of words, which is good, because the ones I might use will certainly precipitate my getting banned from TypeC, which is on the cards for sure.

But JUST LOOK at this NINCOMPOOP here! Who the hell will even get through school or college acting like this!
Many of us are highly ambitious, extremely driven go-getters, who will do what we set out to do, albeit in a more creative and opportunistic way than someone with their plans set in stone! So we don't walk around like we have a stick up our ass, but I guarantee you that should you push that stick through our one ear and out the other, you WILL MEET W/ RESISTANCE!!!

But THIS!!!!! this woman does not have the marbles to understand the working of a belt buckle and they handed her a stapler!

:wtf:
I will say this: if this type of stereotyping continues, nobody, who has ever heard of MBTI, will hire an ExFP for anything--not even to play the clown at a Chuck-e-Cheese birthday bash, for the enfp fool will be expected to use icing for make up and light the candles with a fart! This is not good, people! If any other group, say a race or a religious denomination, were treated with such blatant disrespect, there would be some SERIOUS lobbying efforts at the Capitol!

Maybe the Constitution needs to amended yet again to allow ENFPs a fair trial before being institutionalized for oozing a deluge of non-biodegradable stupidity!:ranting:

Okay, here is the broader question! Have any of you been unjustly discriminated against, once your type was known, here or in the real world to your detriment? I would love to hear your experiences--all types welcome, but I have a soft spot for Feelers and Ps.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've often seen Carl Rogers typed as an ENFP. For those who don't know he was an influential Humanist Psychologist nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize. His demeanor is very quiet and focused.

I know the E-FP stereotypes being much like Phoebe from friends. I have known artists who are quite zany in their imagination, but still focused. I've been wondering about a good definition for ENFPs lately. I think my boyfriend is one, but he is more serious than me in some ways.

I think each stereotype uses dramatic bias. Each takes the most extreme cases of a type and then normalizes the behaviors as the central defining characteristics.

Mvika

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've often seen Carl Rogers typed as an ENFP. For those who don't know he was an influential Humanist Psychologist nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize. His demeanor is very quiet and focused.

I know the E-FP stereotypes being much like Phoebe from friends. I have known artists who are quite zany in their imagination, but still focused. I've been wondering about a good definition for ENFPs lately. I think my boyfriend is one, but he is more serious than me in some ways.

I think each stereotype uses dramatic bias. Each takes the most extreme cases of a type and then normalizes the behaviors as the central defining characteristics.

In my opinion, I am more like Chandler than like Phoebe. I use humor as a defense mechanism, after all! :)

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Okay, here is the broader question! Have any of you been unjustly discriminated, once your type was known, here or in the real world to your detriment? I would love to hear your experiences--all types welcome, but I have a soft spot for Feelers and Ps.

Seriously? INTJ's are universally hated. We're right up there with ISIS, people who order in English with a Spanish accent at a Mexican restaurant and Ann Coulter.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Mmm, can't remember the name of the dude that made the video on YouTube, he talks about the other types too, but I like what he said about the ENFP in comparing them to the ESFP and that whole class clown jokester type image. With the ESFP it's more like what you see is what you get, and with ENFP, they use that as more of a tool to connect with people, but that's not actually who they are. I realize this can paint a negative perception of ESFPs, they also have that deep Fi after all, but it makes sense as both Ne and Se are extroverted perceiving functions and exploratory in the environment. What they do though is different of course. Haven't seen your posted link just yet as I'm at work now :p

Mvika

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Seriously? INTJ's are universally hated. We're right up there with ISIS, people who order in English with a Spanish accent at a Mexican restaurant and Ann Coulter.

Maybe, but nobody called you stupid! There is a grudging respect for even the most hated INTJs.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Maybe, but nobody called you stupid! There is a grudging respect for even the most hated INTJs.

Nah, I know a lot of INTJs who are plenty stupid on top of all the other stereotypically loathed traits, just not in their own minds of course. They earn grudges, maybe, but not a lot of respect.

If it's any consolation no type cares about stereotypes more than ENFPs, so unless you're being hired by another ENFP (in which case it would be fine anyway) I wouldn't worry.

Mvika

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Nah, I know a lot of INTJs who are plenty stupid on top of all the other stereotypically loathed traits, just not in their own minds of course. They earn grudges, maybe, but not a lot of respect.

If it's any consolation no type cares about stereotypes more than ENFPs, so unless you're being hired by another ENFP (in which case it would be fine anyway) I wouldn't worry.
Surprisingly, the bosses/profs who like me the most are ISTJs!! Because a typical ENFP will show their ESTJ side at work more often than not. We may even come across as too particular and less forgiving of goofing off than others. There is a lot of overcompensation.

I try to be very organized at work, because i know that is my natural weakness. So an ENFP boss will not be running a ship full of heehaws with himself as the standup clown. His sense of humor becomes seriously limited when it comes to professional matters and he tends to become hard as nails as stress increases, (Fi don't handle stress well). In fact, the ISTJs are the most relaxed bosses i have met--they seem to have a kind of laid back confidence like a veteran sea captain who has weathered many a storm and knows he can keep it together.
In fact, the loyalist ENFP may play the bulldog for their STJs bosses as we have must lower frustration threshold towards those whose sincerity we doubt.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I feel the same way about xSFJ descriptions. They always paint us to be ultra conservative, traditional, stick-up-the-ass controlling grandma types. The only good video I've ever seen on ISFJs is Michael Pierce's. And the worst part is, because there aren't a lot of SJs online, no one really gives a shit and many people are fine just buying into those stereotypes, because not many people are around who will fight them... and half of the online SJs are mistyped as NPs because of how awful SJ stereotypes are.

Mvika

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I feel the same way about xSFJ descriptions. They always paint us to be ultra conservative, traditional, stick-up-the-ass controlling grandma types. The only good video I've ever seen on ISFJs is Michael Pierce's. And the worst part is, because there aren't a lot of SJs online, no one really gives a shit and many people are fine just buying into those stereotypes, because not many people are around who will fight them... and half of the online SJs are mistyped as NPs because of how awful SJ stereotypes are.

If it is any consolation, I don't limit you like that. My father is an ISFJ: an archaeologist, a writer, a poet of great delicacy, a pianist and a man who contains multitudes within his psyche, but oh so conventional in attire, an impeccable gentleman with haunting soft eyes.

á´…eparted

passages
I don't think so. Though, people have tried to insult me by claiming I am not an ENFJ, as if I was somehow lesser for not being one. Quite a number of people have tried this since I joined here, but it's become a lot less frequent with time.

Though honestly, if someone tries to stereotype me wrongly, I just sort of go "oh you sweet summer child, bless your heart". So when it's personally directed, it doesn't bother me at all.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
rule of thumb your type no matter what it is the most hated type.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well nobody really complains about positive stereotyping.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Well nobody really complains about positive stereotyping.

In a way I sometimes actually kind of do lol, which is funny. :p I don't like when people think that I'm warm and nurturing just because I'm "ISFJ The Nurturer." I'm actually quite cold in reality. :(

Mvika

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In a way I sometimes actually kind of do lol, which is funny. :p I don't like when people think that I'm warm and nurturing just because I'm "ISFJ The Nurturer." I'm actually quite cold in reality. :(

Lux tribe is for cold people? *shock*

Mvika

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, there is a lot of garbage out there. Maybe this is a better portrayal.

This is 100% me! Shocking! I wanted to believe I was a unique snowflake!.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The comments about IxFPs being lazy or whiny bug me, I admit. I just don't know any IxFP like that in person.

I think online we vent because we avoid self-disclosing in person, so maybe that is where this stereotype comes from, as well as the emotional content of any art we may make (which again, is an outlet for people who may otherwise not normally display feeling in a gushy manner). I basically hear the exact opposite feedback in person - that I (and other IxFPs) hold too much inside.

The lazy thing, I really don't get. I make jokes about being a slacker, but it's really that my ideals are so high. My family is always telling me to slow down, that my body is going to give out if I keep going, going, going. It probably is common for an IxFP to go into some chrysalis phase of withdrawal and to appear rather inactive, but even in my most isolated teenage years I was a straight A student who did volunteer work, and my spare time was spent reading great novels, drawing comic strips, writing short stories, and doing other art projects, not being a couch potato.

My biggest flaws and strengths are rarely captured by the IxFP and INFP stereotypes. I really don't know what people they are based on, as they don't remind me of any IxFPs I know. :shrug:

Sometimes I think it is just a fear of their own infantile, repressed Fi, which is fused with emotion and just feels like a baby crying to have its needs met, and they think if they listened to their feelings it would mean lazing about all day. That's just not how it is as a dominant function.