User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is in your personal (real-life) experience the rarest male type(s)?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • INTP

    4 5.71%
  • INTJ

    5 7.14%
  • ENTP

    3 4.29%
  • ENTJ

    2 2.86%
  • INFP

    14 20.00%
  • INFJ

    45 64.29%
  • ENFP

    3 4.29%
  • ENFJ

    9 12.86%
  • ISTP

    0 0%
  • ISTJ

    0 0%
  • ESTP

    0 0%
  • ESTJ

    0 0%
  • ISFP

    9 12.86%
  • ISFJ

    4 5.71%
  • ESFP

    3 4.29%
  • ESFJ

    4 5.71%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 4567 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 66

  1. #51
    Dhampyr Economica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zhash View Post
    After having a 1/2 hour conversation with someone, I can quick size their personality type.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhash View Post
    Keep in mind that you must always make a 30% allowance for the way people are socialized in life but I must say that the 70% is usually right on.
    Uh, Zhash, the right time to add a disclaimer like this one is when you make the assertion, not when someone starts questioning it.

    (Incidentally, what does it mean that 70% of your typings are usually right on? That the true percentage is even lower?)

    Let me ask you again: How do you know whether your 1/2 hour typings are accurate?

  2. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    Uh, Zhash, the right time to add a disclaimer like this one is when you make the assertion, not when someone starts questioning it.

    (Incidentally, what does it mean that 70% of your typings are usually right on? That the true percentage is even lower?)

    Let me ask you again: How do you know whether your 1/2 hour typings are accurate?
    I'm smart, intuitive and I know and I'm usually right on. I may miss one of the components but I'm very good at it. If they are very good friends, I ask them to take the test to confirm and guess what? It confirms it.

    Instead of asking me questions and challenging me, try reading the book and perhaps you can become good at it, too.

  3. #53
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zhash View Post
    I'm smart, intuitive and I know and I'm usually right on. I may miss one of the components but I'm very good at it. If they are very good friends, I ask them to take the test to confirm and guess what? It confirms it.

    Instead of asking me questions and challenging me, try reading the book and perhaps you can become good at it, too.
    I've read the book and I enjoy casually typing people. However, I also realize it's a self-verifying system in my own mind (even if they take the test later, it's already influenced by what I've said to them) and there's absolutely no way to know if I'm typing them objectively and accurately or not. It's enough for my purposes (deciding how I can approach them to get along or make progress with that individual) but I would consider it hubris if I were claiming a high percentage of accuracy for something like casual personality typing that is absolutely unscientific.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  4. #54
    Senior Member Eileen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?
    Posts
    2,191

    Default

    I know TONS of INFP guys. [edit: it should probably be noted that I know more INFPs than is probably statistically likely.] I'd say (in this order)... INFJ, ISFP, ENFJ
    INFJ

    "I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

  5. #55
    Dhampyr Economica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zhash View Post
    I'm smart, intuitive and I know and I'm usually right on. I may miss one of the components but I'm very good at it. If they are very good friends, I ask them to take the test to confirm and guess what? It confirms it.
    Your very good friends do not count as 1/2 hour typings.

    Instead of asking me questions and challenging me, try reading the book and perhaps you can become good at it, too.
    I have asked you a simple and reasonable question which you have now twice refused to answer. Considering that you have added a belated disclaimer to your original statement, reframed my question as "challenging you" and even gone ad hominem by insinuating that I must be jealous of your expertise, I'd say the reality here is that you in fact don't know whether your typings are correct and that you can't stand to admit it.

    ---

    My motivation for putting your folly on display like this? Part self-therapy part attempting to raise quality of debate on this forum and part being cruel to be kind. Like I wrote elsewhere:

    We INTJs base a lot of our self-esteem on being insightful and decisive, but we are not always right - and that's okay. Making errors (of fact and of judgment) is forgivable. (People don't mind that we are not perfectly oracular. Really! ) Refusing to recognize and own up to our errors, however, costs us serious points. And it's idiotic, really, given that we aren't fooling anyone, just alienating them. Some strategists!

  6. #56
    Senior Member Langrenus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    I have to ask, how do you people know that these people are what you claim?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    At some point, you need to trust your own judgment.
    Of course, polls like this are dependent, if they are to have any value whatsoever, on a mass of people trusting their own judgement to type an even bigger mass of people, and then the original mass of people trusting the ability of the rest of mass to accurately type their section of the bigger mass.

    Which sounds, to me, like:
    a) a stupidly lazy sentence; and
    b) a recipe for disaster

    Zhash saying 'a formal education teaches you nought about people, but I found a book and that told me what I need to know' reinforces my fears here (I know the paraphrasing is more than a tad unfair, but let me make my point damnit).

    I really would love to try some of you out sometime. So to speak.

    [Edit] - Oh, and Economica - speak for yourself. I'm always right.
    January has April's showers
    And 2 and 2 always makes a 5

  7. #57
    にゃん runvardh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    8,559

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    I know TONS of INFP guys. [edit: it should probably be noted that I know more INFPs than is probably statistically likely.] I'd say (in this order)... INFJ, ISFP, ENFJ
    My brother and uncle are both ISFP (fun too, ^_^)
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

    INFP, 6w7, IEI

    I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  8. #58
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    I have asked you a simple and reasonable question which you have now twice refused to answer. Considering that you have added a belated disclaimer to your original statement, reframed my question as "challenging you" and even gone ad hominem by insinuating that I must be jealous of your expertise, I'd say the reality here is that you in fact don't know whether your typings are correct and that you can't stand to admit it.
    The Tieger's live in West Hartford, CT., (the town at which I am employed) and I have been working toward certification in "The Art of SpeedReading People". I'm very, very good at it. Enough said?

    ---

    My motivation for putting your folly on display like this? Part self-therapy part attempting to raise quality of debate on this forum and part being cruel to be kind. Like I wrote elsewhere:
    No need to do that.......it's not necessary. Enjoy your evening.....

  9. #59
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Langrenus View Post
    Of course, polls like this are dependent, if they are to have any value whatsoever, on a mass of people trusting their own judgment to type an even bigger mass of people, and then the original mass of people trusting the ability of the rest of mass to accurately type their section of the bigger mass.

    Which sounds, to me, like:
    a) a stupidly lazy sentence; and
    b) a recipe for disaster
    I understand that, and in some sense, you are right.

    But what is the alternative? Never being willing to make a judgment about anything, even if you have the skill and experience to do so?

    Perhaps in the field of "MBTI typing," not everyone will succeed admirably by trusting themselves, and yes, there are some people I'd rather see doing anything but categorizing people based on perceived personality traits; but that doesn't mean that there are not people who will do very well typing, using reasonable mature judgment and monitoring their own assessments and self-correcting when necessary.

    We are probably not as differing on the issue as it sounds, we're just focusing on different facets. You're saying "applied in a very general way, this logic can be very dangerous," and I'm saying, "applied in a more specific way, this logic is empowering."
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  10. #60
    Senior Member Langrenus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I understand that, and in some sense, you are right.

    But what is the alternative? Never being willing to make a judgment about anything, even if you have the skill and experience to do so?

    Perhaps in the field of "MBTI typing," not everyone will succeed admirably by trusting themselves, and yes, there are some people I'd rather see doing anything but categorizing people based on perceived personality traits; but that doesn't mean that there are not people who will do very well typing, using reasonable mature judgment and monitoring their own assessments and self-correcting when necessary.

    We are probably not as differing on the issue as it sounds, we're just focusing on different facets. You're saying "applied in a very general way, this logic can be very dangerous," and I'm saying, "applied in a more specific way, this logic is empowering."
    Fair points. I've no doubt that there are individuals here, and elsewhere, who are more than capable of typing people accurately. However, my experience is that this skill is not one that is found all that commonly. I think your question about the alternative is disingenuous - if you have the skill and experience making judgments need not be a problem. My concern here lies with the cases in which people making judgments without the required skill or experience. Furthermore, other people are then relying on their judgments when drawing conclusions from polls, etc - so really your own skill and experience becomes nothing more than one more figure in the averaged equation. Unless, of course, you don't trust the results other people have supplied but only your own, in which you can be confident - in which case we haven't really moved anywhere.

    I'm a hopeless cynic, and to be honest we're probably not that far apart. But it's good to argue debate
    January has April's showers
    And 2 and 2 always makes a 5

Similar Threads

  1. [INFJ] INFJs the rarest type...
    By Oaky in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 08-27-2012, 10:25 AM
  2. Males and females of the same type- differences?
    By BlackCat in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-09-2009, 05:23 PM
  3. [MBTItm] NF type male, with a T type female.
    By Angry Ayrab in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 10-25-2008, 05:49 PM
  4. Rarest female type?
    By Economica in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 06-26-2007, 05:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO