• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Trouble articulating emotions and ideas

jadves

Enneagram
In my mind, it's almost as if my feelings and ideas are in a unique language, understood by me intuitively. (In the literal, not the MBTI meaning) However, I have difficulty putting these thoughts into words. Leading to me incorrectly stating my true feelings and thoughts or being unable to do so whatsoever.

It's frustrating because its harder to contribute to conversations when I have to spend time translating my thoughts into coherent sentences.

Is this function related, or does it sound like something completely separate?

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Sounds like you're having issues with your Fi.

I don't have any sources or info on hand on how to assist you, but give me a few and I can PM you some links on your issue.

Do you know what your MBTI type is? And could you elaborate on this problem in the mean time?

jadves

Enneagram
I'm fairly sure that I'm an Fi dominant or auxilary and therefore tertiary/ inferior Te. So essentially its nailed down to ESFP, ENFP, INFP, ISFP.

I'll give a real life example of this problem:

There was a news story about a couple who violently beat their 13 month old child to death whilst drunk; usually news stories don't affect me too much, I guess desensitization has had an effect on me. But this report made me furious, a million words worth of feelings buzzed around my head, thoughts of an entire life that couldn't ever be lived, I could feel the rage in my stomach and my fists clenched. Yet I could only bring myself to say "Jesus Christ that's awful" An entire storm of emotions and all my brain could articulate at a moment's notice is a lackluster generalized statement. I had so much more to say, but I would need to spend time actually planning how to say it or else it would make me sound stupid, for lack of a better word. Actually, even if I had eternity to translate it into words, I doubt I could find the words to adequately represent it.

I kind of rambled there, and by the way I had trouble typing that too, just to give you an idea of what I mean.

Does this help at all?

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm fairly sure that I'm an Fi dominant or auxilary and therefore tertiary/ inferior Te. So essentially its nailed down to ESFP, ENFP, INFP, ISFP.

I'll give a real life example of this problem:

There was a news story about a couple who violently beat their 13 month old child to death whilst drunk; usually news stories don't affect me too much, I guess desensitization has had an effect on me. But this report made me furious, a million words worth of feelings buzzed around my head, thoughts of an entire life that couldn't ever be lived, I could feel the rage in my stomach and my fists clenched. Yet I could only bring myself to say "Jesus Christ that's awful" An entire storm of emotions and all my brain could articulate at a moment's notice is a lackluster generalized statement. I had so much more to say, but I would need to spend time actually planning how to say it or else it would make me sound stupid, for lack of a better word. Actually, even if I had eternity to translate it into words, I doubt I could find the words to adequately represent it.

I kind of rambled there, and by the way I had trouble typing that too, just to give you an idea of what I mean.

Does this help at all?

Well yes and no. Honestly, I was thinking you had tertiary Fi. Your example more or less sums up to "I had a lot of opinions about something but I didn't want to look stupid so I gave the base minimum".

From what I've studied (and from experience, as I am an ENFP), your auxiliary function is the easiest to use. Sounds like you use it but in an unfocused and awkward way. In my opinion, the likelihood of you being an ExFP is low.

I'm thinking and in a way, that could actually be an Ti issue and not an Fi thing?

What is the bigger issue: organizing your thoughts or expressing them? And explain why.

Lady Lazarus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I see this sort of thing as generally being more the problem of N doms than those with "poor" Fi or Ti.

jadves

Enneagram
You know, it could actually be more of a problem with organizing my thoughts rather than expressing them. When I've got an idea, in order to accurately express it out loud, I need to run through it in my head as if i was explaining it to myself and ironing out the kinks in my thought process along the way. Once I've done this, explaining it is just a matter of restating how I explained it to myself, but out loud. However, if I don't spend time doing this my thoughts tend to contradict themselves, have logical inconsistencies and sometimes make little sense as if I was making it all up on the spot. You could be right about the Ti thing.

- - - Updated - - -

jadves

Enneagram
Well yes and no. Honestly, I was thinking you had tertiary Fi. Your example more or less sums up to "I had a lot of opinions about something but I didn't want to look stupid so I gave the base minimum".

From what I've studied (and from experience, as I am an ENFP), your auxiliary function is the easiest to use. Sounds like you use it but in an unfocused and awkward way. In my opinion, the likelihood of you being an ExFP is low.

I'm thinking and in a way, that could actually be an Ti issue and not an Fi thing?

What is the bigger issue: organizing your thoughts or expressing them? And explain why.

You know, it could actually be more of a problem with organizing my thoughts rather than expressing them. When I've got an idea, in order to accurately express it out loud, I need to run through it in my head as if i was explaining it to myself and ironing out the kinks in my thought process along the way. Once I've done this, explaining it is just a matter of restating how I explained it to myself, but out loud. However, if I don't spend time doing this my thoughts tend to contradict themselves, have logical inconsistencies and sometimes make little sense as if I was making it all up on the spot. You could be right about the Ti thing

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Look into the introverted functions. What do you type as? That sort of thing. Build from that. I think it's common with Ni, Si, Ti or Fi as tertiary. So look into those functions and how they manifest in that position in the function stack.