User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

edcoaching rocks!

Julia Child! I am an ENTP and I always list her as one of my heroes.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Okay, Gabe's convinced me offline that Dumbledore is probably INTP with his interpretation of Book 7 as an inferior Fe tale...

So for INFJ...Si Morley in Jack Finney's Time and Again. Luke Skywalker. The little boy in Roald Dahl's The Witches.
    edcoaching

I am curious. There is a popular web-sites that claim that various forms of ADD are correlated with N and P.

Is this a myth, or is there research to support the distinction?

Are there any appreciable differences noticed when students are grouped by: SJ-NJ-SP-NP?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTJ

Dear edcoaching,

Do you know anything about "learned helplessness"?
    Apparently, that is the road block I am dealing with at this point.
    Also I'm recovering from many years of deep depression and demoralization.
    I'm having trouble motivating myself to do my chores, some of which are overwhelming tasks.

I was just wondering if you could point me in the right direction.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Dear edcoaching,

I'm having trouble motivating myself to do my chores, some of which are overwhelming tasks.

Not to interrupt edcoaching's thread, but this indicates to me that you're probably still suffering from depression. You need to do the best you can and not label your inability to function at 100% right now as "learned helplessness." That's just going to add to a sense of failure and make you more depressed.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I has dperssion? Now I has!

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I has dperssion? Now I has!
    Heehee, I was reading INTJMom's post as that her chores seem overwhelming--even the small day-to-day ones. That's a depression indicator. Nah, just run-of-the-mill laziness and procrastination don't count.

I could have been misreading her post.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Dear edcoaching,

I'm not a counselor but as Tallulah said, keep thinking about the depression.

As I understand learned helplessness it's when people give up because they don't see that their efforts are making any difference. They get zinged no matter what course they try. Learned helplessness, defined by Seligman (Learned optimism: How to change your mind and your life, 1998) as “… the giving-up reaction, the quitting response that follows from the belief that whatever you do doesn’t matter” (p. 15). His research with laboratory dogs showed that when the subjects had no control over shocks they received, they soon stopped trying and simply lay down once they realized their actions, such as jumping to get away, were futile.

When helplessness in people was studied, the biggest factor contributing to it was a lack of hope.
    Whether or not we have hope depends on two dimensions of our explanatory style: pervasiveness and permanence. Finding temporary and specific causes for misfortune is the art of hope: Temporary causes limit helplessness in time, and specific causes limit helplessness to the original situation. On the other hand, permanent causes produce helplessness far into the future, and universal causes spread helplessness through all your endeavors. Finding permanent and universal causes for misfortune is the practice of despair (Seligman, 1998, p. 48).

Another way to look at it is finding one's way out of learned helplessness is figuring out what you can control.

I'm just supplying a definition here--it's something to be talked through with someone close to home who can help you sort it out. I wouldn't dare try to be more helpful than suggesting you seek out someone to help you with it.
    edcoaching

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I am curious. There is a popular web-sites that claim that various forms of ADD are correlated with N and P.

Is this a myth, or is there research to support the distinction?
    The only research I know of shows overrepresentation of E and P in people misdiagnosed with ADHD. When I'm working with educators I point out the similarities between ADHD descriptors and normal behaviors for the preferences.

1. Often does not give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork, work, or other activities. Students with a preference for Intuition often rush through rote work, making careless mistakes. They are less interested in accuracy than in ideas.
    2. Often has trouble keeping attention on tasks or play activities. Extraverted students are drawn to external stimuli. Sounds, smells, and other distractions will pull their attention from the task at hand.
    3. Often does not follow instructions and fails to finish schoolwork, chores, or duties in the workplace (not due to oppositional behavior or failure to understand instructions). Many Intuitive students do not read directions, but instead assume they know what to do. Perceiving students may not have a good sense of how time is passing.
    4. Often has trouble organizing activities Perceiving students often lack skills in sequencing and chunking tasks. These skills seem to come more naturally for Judging students.
    5. Often avoids, dislikes, or doesn't want to do things that take a lot of mental effort for a long period of time (such as schoolwork or homework). Introverted students often have a narrow range of self-chosen interests. Extraverted students need chances to move. Intuitive students often want a say in activities and may not put in effort on things that don’t interest them.
    6. Often loses things needed for tasks and activities (e.g. toys, school assignments, pencils, books, or tools). Intuitive students, because their minds are in the future, not the present moment, are often unaware of what they brought with them or where they set it down.
    7. Is often easily distracted. Extraverted students are easily distracted by things going on in the outside world.
    8. Is often forgetful in daily activities. Intuitive students are pulled by ideas and possibilities, not reality.

From something I wrote...
    There is a very real disorder known as ADD. However, before jumping to conclusions, we can look at the type clues and try teaching the student strategies and skills. Armstrong (1995) found that one of the biggest sources of misdiagnosis of ADD was a mismatch of teaching and learning styles. Jensen (1998) recommends that teachers and students first exhaust non-prescriptive options to determine whether crowded classrooms, teachers who demand too much classroom attention, or lack of self-discipline skills are contributing factors. In other words, view the child through the lens of type before assuming that a deeper problem exists.

Are there any appreciable differences noticed when students are grouped by: SJ-NJ-SP-NP?
    My mind goes mostly to how they get in trouble!! There'd definitely be differences and I could probably theorize about what they'd be. I concentrate on ES, EN, IS, IN so students ahve the energy and information they need to learn. We definitely work with J-P for work completion and actually your groupings would have a lot to do with the needed tools and motivations to both keep from rushing through work and bringing it to closure...young NPs for example often visualize projects much more grandiose than they can pull off in reality...
    edcoaching

MBTI
    INFJ

Surely Melanie Hamilton is the soulmate of Ashley Wilkes? Margaret Mitchell described him as an Idealist and there's much discussion about how they discuss books and ideas and how simpatico they are. Scarlett is S, certainly, but why Melanie?
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.