User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    Thanks for your help, guys.

Now I know the truth. But on the other hand, notta was right again. Can't win for winning!

I do think it is difficult to type someone with OCD, or other such conditions - which is why I've never been sure where the type begins and the OCD end (and vice versa). Hence, I think an INTP with OCD is possible, but no one would ever believe they were an INTP. Does that make sense?
    Absolutely makes sense. Key idea is that the type descriptions are for the most part written re normal development and add/ocd/overbearing parents, etc., can all mess up a person's ability to figure out how they prefer to operate...
    edcoaching

MBTI
    INTP

I'm not sure some of those questions would have been accurate, in my case, though. I have always tested INTP, the usual descriptions fit perfectly, and I barely have a scrap of J in me. But I always lived a fantasy life in my head as a kid, I always imagined myself in the future (though I didn't necessarily make concrete plans), and if a teacher gave a stupid assignment, I didn't even stress that much over it--I'd do it quickly in class so I could read a book or spend the rest of the time in my head. If I'm stressed out, I tend to shut down and do mind-numbing things, as long as it's just stuff like overloading, but if it's something that's frustrating me and causing me to question my abilities, I might get a bit emotionally strung out.

I think from your questions, though, you'd have probably said I was INTJ, and I know I'm not INTJ. *shrugs*

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I'm not sure some of those questions would have been accurate, in my case, though. I have always tested INTP, the usual descriptions fit perfectly, and I barely have a scrap of J in me. But I always lived a fantasy life in my head as a kid, I always imagined myself in the future (though I didn't necessarily make concrete plans), and if a teacher gave a stupid assignment, I didn't even stress that much over it--I'd do it quickly in class so I could read a book or spend the rest of the time in my head. If I'm stressed out, I tend to shut down and do mind-numbing things, as long as it's just stuff like overloading, but if it's something that's frustrating me and causing me to question my abilities, I might get a bit emotionally strung out.

I think from your questions, though, you'd have probably said I was INTJ, and I know I'm not INTJ. *shrugs*
    Remember where she said INTP and INFP are the most individualistic types that therefore resist being typed..

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Remember where she said INTP and INFP are the most individualistic types that therefore resist being typed..
    INTPs, if accurately typed, have the least trouble accepting it.

MBTI
    INFP

Why should someone resist being typed as an INTP or INFP? They┤re the best types.

Quote Originally Posted by edcoaching View Post
    The dominant Feeling group almost always states their judgment of the situation as a fact and starts discussing how to persuade the idiots in the scenario see the error of their ways.
    That fits me quite nicely.

MBTI
    INFJ

Seriously (sort of),
    • INTPs are the most withdrawn of all children, and Extraverted moms wonder if something is wrong
    • They pick up on a particular interest and follow it to the end--bugs, dinosaurs, etc. INT/FJs can have similar interests but they'll have more than one going
    • INT/FJ's often continues threads of their childhood fantasy worlds into adulthood
    • In grade school if the work was stupid, INT/FJs tended to rush through and be sloppy,go find something more interesting. The INT/FJ might tell the teacher it's dumb or suggest ways of making it better from about 5th grade on. INTPs often detach, stew on how dumb it is, not realize how much time is passing, never quite finish.
    Thank you, Ed. A very informative and interesting post and one that's timely for me. I hope I can jump in here with my own questions.

I can relate to the first item on your list for sure. I'm not E, but I'm way more E than my son or husband, both INTPs. My husband thinks he's fine, just a little lazy.

My son is very self-contained, as is my husband. They can spend hours on the computer happily reading articles, watching movies, listening to music.

I'm not sure about the last item; he's found school dumb or pointless and in middle school he wrote a thoughtful, articulate critique of school policy. He's not likely to rush through to get to something else. He'll stew, complain, procrastinate or not put in much effort and find time has gone by.

He started out wanting to major in Biology, but now he's not sure because the hard science and math prereqs are killing him. He got a top score on the SAT II Bio. test and an A in college-level Infectious Diseases, but barely squeezed out Cs in college Calculus and Chem. He needs at least one more Calc. class, another Chem and two Physics classes for a Bio major. Privately I've always thought he'd do better in Social Science because his math skills aren't the best. Tutoring, extra hard work, etc. are needed but he hasn't put in that kind of effort at college.

This quarter he's taking Marine Biology and two film classes.

Are INTPs slow starters, ie, does it take them awhile to find themselves and their passion? And what does an INTP who's between driving interests do?Speaking of driving, he's 19-1/2 and shows no interest in learning how.

Thanks for your posts.
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    What cognitive type is most likely to have "people miss the point" as their theme song?
    You mean, what cognitive type is most likely to have others miss the point they were trying to make?
    No, that this is their consistent complaint about other people and what they feel the evils of the world rest on. They say that people do not focus in on the real important aspects of problems, no true critical thought, their minds are distracted by trivia and hence nothing ever gets solved or taken care of in a proper fashion so misery goes on and on and people remain clueless why.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jae Rae View Post
    I'm not sure about the last item; he's found school dumb or pointless and in middle school he wrote a thoughtful, articulate critique of school policy. He's not likely to rush through to get to something else. He'll stew, complain, procrastinate or not put in much effort and find time has gone by.
    That actually sounds typical INTP as the unmotivated student. They'll occasionally protest but rather than fight the system in public school if they find it stupid, they just can't bring themselves to engage...

Are INTPs slow starters, ie, does it take them awhile to find themselves and their passion? And what does an INTP who's between driving interests do?Speaking of driving, he's 19-1/2 and shows no interest in learning how.
    I'm not even sure this is type-related in this current environment. I know SO many young men who are having a hard time figuring out goals--whether it's because of economic uncertainties going back to 2001 or because they aren't going to sell their souls to corporate environments and haven't figured out alternatives. Between interests, there's RPG, travel til their money runs out...reading Faulkner and Dick and other tomes, setting up web forums or other tech things, finding others to play Ultimate or disc golf with...In my extended family, three out of the four young men fit this description, although all are scraping by, making a living...
    edcoaching

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Delphyne View Post
    Why should someone resist being typed as an INTP or INFP? They┤re the best types.
    They see it as being labeled and no label could capture their uniqueness. I was working with about 60 high schoolers one day and 4 guys were standing on the side, arms folded, frowning. I asked what was wrong, and they said, "You're trying to label us." I handed them the INTP type description and asked them to see if they found anything in it that made sense (We'd done a bunch of exercises already and i'd seen their output; this wasn't really typing from afar).

About 5 minutes later they waved me over and said, "Yeah, this is us..."

Happens time and again.
    edcoaching

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    No, that this is their consistent complaint about other people and what they feel the evils of the world rest on. They say that people do not focus in on the real important aspects of problems, no true critical thought, their minds are distracted by trivia and hence nothing ever gets solved or taken care of in a proper fashion so misery goes on and on and people remain clueless why.
    Hmmm....not sure i could narrow this to one type

• INTJ/INTP could do it if they've worked out their full solotion to the world's problems yet can't articulate it in a way that makes anyone take notice (lack of Fe in presenting it...)
    • INFJs could do it because we're so used to being right
    • ENTPs who don't listen and who are on a crusade could do this, not realizing they've got a goal without execution plans
    • ENTJs could easily think they've got the one right way to fix everything and yet lack "recruiting skills"
    • I also want to say that ENFJs who have a cause can see anyone who doesn't agree as dangerous to the community at large
    • And, INFPs somewhere into adulthood can take on a "crusader" persona, standing up for what they believe in in a catalytic (healthy) or fanatical (unhealthy) way

The other types usually wouldn't be as vocal...but there are always exceptions. And all of the ones mentioned above are examples of lack of type development--not the healthy ways these types would express their ideas.
    edcoaching