User Tag List

First 412131415 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    I'm still a little unsure of my type and what functions I use most. I thought if I gave you a real life situation it might help you to point me in the right direction.

Recently I have purchased a business. I made the decision to purchse within an hour of looking at the financials, assets etc... It did not feel like jumping in too quickly as I have been looking for an acquisition for the better part of a year and was fairly familiar with what was out there. This purchase also included movig three and a half hours from my current location and uprooting myself and fiance and child. The buiness on its own is fairly stable and profitable but I can never let anything stay as it is. Since actually taking control two weeks ago I have determined that I can expand the base of customers and areas of the business with a particular strategy. I have been recruiting subcontractors to fill certain niches that I am not very adept at in order to implement this strategy. My goal is to build this company into a large and diverse service business.

If it helps: whatever I get involved in I am compulsively driven to grow, expand and build it up. I always dream big, perhaps too big, and my expectations may not always mesh with reality.

Also I have been told by a very skilled counselor that I am an extremist.

Any help you give is appreciated as I think understanding my preferred functions will definitely help me to grow as a person and better utilize my natural talents in areas of interest.

Thanks
    Your examples make perfect sense for someone whose first function is Te and second function is Ni. It's common to use Ni to figure out the ideal--solitude for thinking produces plans, but often we (I'm Ni as well...) don't share those plans, so to other people it seems like we're making rash decisions. They don't see/hear all the thinking that preceded the action.

And ENTJs are often known as grand-scale organizers--taking systems and structures and people and making all the divers parts realign into something bigger, more efficient, more successful than they were. True, occasionally reality isn't ready for all of it, but usually the ENTJ is perfectly willing to keep trying/experimenting/realigning plans/investigating until they get as close to optimal as possible. It can seem like an extreme to others who aren't as driven.

Flip side/precaution is that being aware of one's impact on others may not be a strong suit. Stopping to think--or ask--about impact on others can be crucial to gaining buy-in, cooperation, resources and more people to lead. Some ENTJs figure out systems to factor people into equations--Blackberry reminders, feedback forms, something. It isn't cold and calculated but an efficient way of making balance
    edcoaching

MBTI
    INXP

Absolutely agree, the post shouts ENTJ out to me.

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    If it helps: whatever I get involved in I am compulsively driven to grow, expand and build it up. I always dream big, perhaps too big, and my expectations may not always mesh with reality.

Also I have been told by a very skilled counselor that I am an extremist.
    As an ENTJ.. I'm saying that you're ENTJ.

Quote Originally Posted by edcoaching View Post
    Your examples make perfect sense for someone whose first function is Te and second function is Ni. It's common to use Ni to figure out the ideal--solitude for thinking produces plans, but often we (I'm Ni as well...) don't share those plans, so to other people it seems like we're making rash decisions. They don't see/hear all the thinking that preceded the action.

And ENTJs are often known as grand-scale organizers--taking systems and structures and people and making all the divers parts realign into something bigger, more efficient, more successful than they were. True, occasionally reality isn't ready for all of it, but usually the ENTJ is perfectly willing to keep trying/experimenting/realigning plans/investigating until they get as close to optimal as possible. It can seem like an extreme to others who aren't as driven.

Flip side/precaution is that being aware of one's impact on others may not be a strong suit. Stopping to think--or ask--about impact on others can be crucial to gaining buy-in, cooperation, resources and more people to lead. Some ENTJs figure out systems to factor people into equations--Blackberry reminders, feedback forms, something. It isn't cold and calculated but an efficient way of making balance
    Thanks Ed for another enlightening post. It definitely seems like some of us are getting some very valuable free "sessions' from you. It is greatly appreciated.

Hi Ed.
    Just curious but are you an educational psychologist? What made you go down your path and how did you get there?

videodrones; questions Verfremdungseffekt's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Eh?

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Learning that he was willing to do most of the things I wanted, but just didn't have a clue was a major revelation to me and that knowledge has probably helped our relationship more than anything (with the possible exception of learning about P/J differences).
    Yeah, that was a big problem with my last partner -- also INFJ.

If I failed to take immediate interest in something, she took that as a concrete declaration to the negative. And, incidentally, screw her for asking. Then she would bring these things up again, months or years later.

No, really, dear, I'd have gone to the doll show with you if you'd just told me you wanted me along.

There were other problems, of course, and it wasn't entirely a type thing. This... didn't help, though.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

MBA, then doctorate in ed leadership because I was constantly being called into schools to do teambuilding, conflict resolution, and the hands-on work led to my true passion--differentiating instruction so that student learning style and motivational needs are met. My research and most recent books all deal with education and I've done so much in-class work that I have total credibility with teachers. Type background--I was mentored by some of the best and by osmosis was quickly deemed an expert by the type community of professionals who work with the MBTI and other validated instruments...
    edcoaching

Default MBTI haters

Hi Ed.
    I am curious why most psychologists/psychotherapists scoff when confronted with MBTI. I know the limitations that I think it has, but I have nowhere near the knowledge or training of a "professional".
    It seems that you are very well trained in the theory so I'm sure you have examined most of the arguments from your peers against it. What are your thoughts on this phonemenom(sp?)?

MBTI
    GONE

EdCoaching - where'd you goooo? Come back!
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Sorry for the ridiculous delay, Frank...I keep trying to get my own blog up to date...

Two big problems psychologists/psychotherapists have:
    • They keep thinking it's a diagnostic tool, not a self-reporting instrument. The real MBTIs are meant to be interpreted. You hear the theory, see your results, interact with a trained professional to determine why the two differ, if they do. If it were diganostic, it'd be really, really expensive. And, Myers wanted it to be as accurate as possible but also didn't think people wanted to be told what they are. Done right, it's great self-discovery. However, many psychologists use it without going through the formal training and therefore don't get accurate results.
    • Myers wasn't formally trained as a psychologist or statistician. To say she couldn't do the work, though, negates the ability of any of us to self-study and become experts. Especially at her time in history (she was born in 1900), the fact that she had a college education (and even more amazing, that her mother did) is unique. As for stats, to test the instrument the way she wanted, she actually developed two statistical analysis methods that no one else used until computers were handy.

Also, it only deals with normal people and common paths for development, as opposed to abnormalities, which is the interest of many psychologists/psychotherapists.

Sigh. I just wish they'd get their facts straight before they blast using type theory in legitimate, ethical ways...
    edcoaching