MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Like Ed Coaching...
    edcoaching

MBTI
    INTj

There's no way that your name is Ed!

By the way, nice work on the "A" part of Q & A.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Thanks...

the abbr. seems good--actually it was my dad's name so...
    edcoaching

Are there any tips for NPs to create realistic deadlines for themselves?

Also, are there any tips for particular types and general malaise?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INFP

How would the term unconscious apply to the functions? Are introverted functions unconscious? Or inferior preferences? Or is there nothing relating the unconscious to this subject?

(Sorry if this is a strange question.)
    Last edited by disregard; 10-28-2008 at 01:51 PM. Reason: I sound like I no speaking ze Engleesh

MBTI
    INTP

How does Ni and Ne interact between types?

What would be your opinion of the dynamic or interpersonal relationship between INTJ's and INTP's

How would they collaborate in a work environment? what way can they contribute collectively? are their interesting benefits of working towards a goal with these two types?
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    How would the term unconscious were to be applied to the functions? Are introverted functions unconscious? Or inferior preferences? Or is there nothing relating the unconscious to this subject?

I'm going to pretend I'm edcoaching.

I think introverted functions are still conscious processes. The function most associated with the unconscious is Ni because it deals with primordial and archetypal imagery.

The function closest to the unconscious is your inferior and all your shadow processes work unconsciously. You can consciously develop a shadow process but it is still very active in your consciousness without your knowledge. From what I understand you can become more aware of when a shadow process is being active but controlling when it turns on and off is something that's damn near impossible. Dominant and auxiliary functions are able to be shut off consciously to some extent but anything below tertiary tends to hijack a person.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Thanks, Protean Mix!! I'll be back online tomorrow morning and answer all these questions. My life got derailed by a landscaping project that grew out of control somehow...
    edcoaching

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Are there any tips for NPs to create realistic deadlines for themselves?
    Most time management materials are written by J's and they seem to think if their methods don't work you're not responsible...but in truth a whole different look at time works for a lot of P's. J's often want to finish asap, P's often see creativity increase as deadlines loom. Often, though, part of J seems to be an innate sense of how long things will take and that's a skill many P's have to consciously work on to be effective at it.

Try planning backward. When you're first doing this, it'd probably help to sit down and make a list of what needs to be done. Let's say it's a term paper. A list might look like
    • Read Hamlet
    • Read 2 commentaries, one print and one from web
    • Watch Olivier's Hamlet
    • Determine paper thesis and evidence (rough outline or content map)
    • Draft paper
    • Trade papers with buddy for comments and revise
    • Visit writing center
    • rewrite paper
    • Get buddy to proof it

Think about how much time you need for each step--think back on past papers for a guess.

Now fit it backward into your calendar. Let's say for example the paper is due Monday and you've got around 10 days. First put in everything else that's going on--other assignments, work, family commitments, sports teams, fav TV show you don't want to miss. You'd need Sunday for final rewrites and exchanging with your partner. Is he/she available or will that need to happen on Saturday? If you're booked Friday night, does your final rewrite need to happen Thursday night? Can you get to the writing center Thursday morning or do you need to go Wednesday? Keep filling in the slots you actually have available, working backward, until you can determine when you actually have to start. I've helped several people plot out their doctoral dissertations this way so they can graduate when they want to.

The other technique is "real" false deadlines, which you've probably tried but the trick is making sure they have meaning. for example, when an ENFP colleague of mine and I write together, he often concurrently teaches a course, making sure his course outline has him presenting material to his students about a week before he needs to get it to me, according to my deadlines. Another friend, when she has to give speeches, sets up a luncheon to talk through her outline a week or so before the event so she can't leave forming her main ideas to the very end.

Also, are there any tips for particular types and general malaise?
    Could you expand here a bit so i don't answer the wrong question? Thanks
    edcoaching

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    How would the term unconscious apply to the functions? Are introverted functions unconscious? Or inferior preferences? Or is there nothing relating the unconscious to this subject?

It's not a strange question, but if you go through lots of type materials you'll find a lot of different explanations. I like the type development model, which puts forward that all functions are unconscious at birth. Learning how to use a function and gaining conscious control of that function happens over time.

The essence of type is our preferences for:
    ē Taking in information (Sensing or Intuition)
    ē Making decisions (Thinking or Feeling)

How do we describe immature people?
    ē They rush to a decision (they donít take in enough information) or
    ē They canít seem to make a decision (they take in too much information).

Either behavior results in an unbalanced, immature approach to decision-making and indicates that the individual hasnít learned to use the preferences well yet.

Think of your psyche as a beach ballóthe conscious part floats above the water while the unconscious is below the surface. We know itís there, but we canít see it.

We each use all four functions. You might think of these preferences as four different ways your conscious speaks to you. Your first or dominant function is like a megaphoneóit easily gets your attention. Think of the second or auxiliary function as normal speech. The third function would then be a stage whisper, sometimes easy to hear but drowned out at other times. The fourth function, your inferior function is just a faint whisper, hard to detect unless youíre concentrating on it.

In other words, your first or dominant function is the most conscious of all your preferences: it is the one you began using earliest in life. Gradually, if you're maturing, you begin gaining some control of the second function. Now you've got healthy ways to take in information and make decisions. The second half of life is about working toward balance--T's add more subjectivity to decisions and care more about impact on people. F's find the value of logic. s's start planning for the future. N's start enjoying the moment. That's oversimplification but the point is that we gain some control over those functions, making them more conscious, but think of different objects, like the beach ball, floating in water. The dominant function bobs higher into the conscious. for the other 3 functions, each has more below the surface, with the 4th function always being the most submerged. Our conscious use of it stays at the skills level; it can still trip us up!
    edcoaching