User Tag List

View Poll Results: Is knowing your best-fit type important?

27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nope.

8 29.63%
  • Yes, it's important to me personally. No one else needs to know.

16 59.26%
  • Yes, it's important to me and other people need to know.

5 18.52%
  • I don't know what my best-fit type is. I'm actively trying to self-verify.

3 11.11%
  • I don't know what my best-fit type is. I'm not too worried about it, though.

4 14.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Is knowing your best-fit type important?

shoshaku jushaku Array rivercrow's Avatar

Default Poll: Is knowing your best-fit type important?

Post in the multiple-option poll if you want or comment below or do both as desired. It's an equal-opportunity kind of thread.

I occasionally question my own type, even though I've self-verified as INTP to my own satisfaction. The more I learn about type and type dynamics, the more content I am, both about my best-fit type and about the different personas I present for different situations.

On some level though, I do view type as just a facet of my personality. Only when speaking to type-people do I identify my type. (I do have an "INTP" t-shirt, but it doesn't get much wear.)

So, is knowing your best-fit type important?

Is that knowledge important to YOU personally only? Or is it important that your friends/family/etc (those others who are type-people) know as well?

If you feel there's a mismatch, how concerned are you that you resolve that mismatch? Are you making an effort to find it, or are you content with ambiguity?

If you do think it's important, why?
    Last edited by rivercrow; 06-16-2007 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Better first line.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

It's important to me and to the people I interact with closely on a daily basis. It's helped me to better understand why I behave the way I do, and how sometimes my behaviour isn't 'normal'. I've made my husband (ha! made him!!) learn about MBTI and I believe it's helped us. We see some things very differently and others with almost the same eyes; until the past year he didn't understand that I wasn't just being contrary when I didn't agree, or (gasp) care. He's an ISTJ, btw.

I don't need anyone else to know my type, but I've been interested in typing people I deal with a lot so I can better understand where we go wrong. My SIL and BIL come to mind right away.

.~ *aĉa virino* ~. Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    549 sx/sp
    LII Ni

I used to be more concerned. I'm not really anymore.

There are some uncertainties online with people regarding my type (some are suspicious I'm an INFP), but this is based on the approach of my writing style, my topical matter, and my interests. They would probably understand me much better seeing me IRL compared to other F types, because then the differences would be much more apparent. (My decisions/processing is more impersonal in nature ... although I factor in people's feeling as just one more number in the equation, since logically people are comprised both of mind and emotion. But I am the "hard-liner" in the groups I'm in, based on the impersonal concerns.)

But I realize that people only get to see certain facets of me here, so it's pointless to try and justify a particular reading. People are free to think whatever they'd like, and in the end, why should I be concerned about what a particular person who I will probably never meet thinks about my type... and why is it bad to be mistaken for another type anyway? It's not as if INFPs are evil.

Anyway... it's sort of important, but not if someone already knows you and is relating to you as a person. Type usually just gives "context" for how you might be able to interpret the intent behind someone's words and actions.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

only bites when provoked Array

Numbers 1 and 5.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

I would say no. In the first instance I still have reservations about the value of the MBTI system (I've discussed some of these elsewhere). In the second, I don't see what difference an accurate self-assessment would make to my day-to-day life...I've taken the 'official' tests, done interviews with occupational psychologists and spent some time evaluating the results against my own self-perceptions. A fun series of exercises, but I'm still the same person I was before I knew I was an 'INTJ', and I still act the same way around other people.

On the other hand I feel a little justified, I suppose - instead of being some strange individual completely unlike the people around me I have discovered that I am one member of a group of strange people who don't fit in with the people around them. But I accepted long ago that I'm different, so the added justification wasn't really necessary.
    January has April's showers
    And 2 and 2 always makes a 5

I don't really know how to answer this. Sometimes I am glad that I know (or at least have some idea) and that others know.

Other times, I seriously doubt its worth. I either chameleon enough types that I'm confused, or I have strengths (and weaknesses) that MBTI doesn't predict. As a result, giving someone my type could lead them to prejudge strengths and weaknesses I simply may not display!

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    some are suspicious I'm an INFP
    Suspicion would only be in the speculative sense -- in person, you are who you are, including any number of anomalies, whatever the Jungian type. Misidentifying oneself, from the perspective of others, colors data at the very worst. Still, typing can influence predispositions and among those who are familiar with typology, as I found several times on INTPc, motivate an amusing sort of bigotry.

I find it useful to be able to consider strengths and weaknesses that correspond closely to my own, and, too, not to be burdened or handicapped with somebody else's. Revisiting MBTI and changing my affirmed type to INTJ from INFJ was the result of correlating changes in my bearing with specific events, notably trauma; and looking beyond those to a point where I was rather different and, crucially, balanced. Ironically, MBTI may have directed me out of the muddle that it led me into.

Senior Member Array Chaselation's Avatar

I was split. For the most part I don't care if people know. Except in the few circumstances where I think knowing what an INTP is (frequently misunderstood) would help a lot. Unfortunately the people I would want to understand this have no desire to learn.

Knowing my own type has helped me gain insight into myself so is has been useful to me a least.

I'm the only one with this perspective?

I picked the last two options-- I'm actively trying to self-verify, but I'm not terribly concerned about it. It'll either become clear or it won't. In the meantime, I'll probably just pick a type to identify with so I can stop typing X's and giving long explanations when people ask.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Senior Member Array Lookin4theBestNU's Avatar

I used to tell people about MBTI often and the type that I identified most with. I no longer waste my time on that. I keep hoping that I will meet someone who is a type nerd like myself to have discussions with every time I come up with something new. I generally like talking better then writing or I could do it here more often. I have learned about myself and that is all that is really important. I still have not identified with complete certainty whether I am an ENFJ or ENFP which bothers me a little bit though I am not sure why.
    "At points of clarity, I realize that my life on earth is meaningless, and that I am merely a pawn in a bigger game. A game I cannot possibly understand or have control of. Thankfully, before depression sets in, I drift back into my cloudy, bewildered daily routine." **Joel Patrick Warneke**