User Tag List

View Poll Results: Is knowing your best-fit type important?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nope.

8 29.63%
  • Yes, it's important to me personally. No one else needs to know.

16 59.26%
  • Yes, it's important to me and other people need to know.

5 18.52%
  • I don't know what my best-fit type is. I'm actively trying to self-verify.

3 11.11%
  • I don't know what my best-fit type is. I'm not too worried about it, though.

4 14.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 123 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Not too important. People seem to learn the important traits of mine pretty well anyway, so explaining with MBTI doesn't add anything. For myself, I sort of prefer not being typed, because it adds an extra expectation onto how I should act, ands I'd rather not have that particular type of behavior limit on me.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    Originally Posted by Fortunato
    htb, did you just replace Jennifers nick with the old one and if so, why?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    htb, did you just replace Jennifers nick with the old one and if so, why?
    He probably copy-paste quoted it, than types in the name himself. If he things of jennifer as fortunato, than that name probably slipped in there by accident.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Zergling View Post
    He probably copy-paste quoted it, than types in the name himself. If he things of jennifer as fortunato, than that name probably slipped in there by accident.
    Perhaps. That's why I'm asking.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I used to be more concerned. I'm not really anymore.

There are some uncertainties online with people regarding my type (some are suspicious I'm an INFP), but this is based on the approach of my writing style, my topical matter, and my interests. They would probably understand me much better seeing me IRL compared to other F types, because then the differences would be much more apparent. (My decisions/processing is more impersonal in nature ... although I factor in people's feeling as just one more number in the equation, since logically people are comprised both of mind and emotion. But I am the "hard-liner" in the groups I'm in, based on the impersonal concerns.)

But I realize that people only get to see certain facets of me here, so it's pointless to try and justify a particular reading. People are free to think whatever they'd like, and in the end, why should I be concerned about what a particular person who I will probably never meet thinks about my type... and why is it bad to be mistaken for another type anyway? It's not as if INFPs are evil.

Anyway... it's sort of important, but not if someone already knows you and is relating to you as a person. Type usually just gives "context" for how you might be able to interpret the intent behind someone's words and actions.
    Personally I think a lot about type can come across online. I'd imagine it could bug someone like you just because they'd be so wrong. (I dunno, your INTPness abundantly clear to me.) Others mistyping can be kind of annoying just for misunderstanding/ misapplication of theory. And the times when people seem downright delusional.

Very important to me at first because it helped to understand myself and relationships better. Less important now, though to some extent hard not to think about interpersonal dynamics within framework of cog functions.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I'm trying to figure out exactly how I do feel about the importance of knowing my type. I'm pretty certain of my type, so it doesn't seem all that important, but because I like (need?) closure, if I didn't know, it might seem more important to me and I might make an active effort to gain closure. Is it because type is important to me or because closure is important to me, or both?

I think of people in terms of temperament, if not type, in my daily life. It is helpful to me and I enjoy discussing type with other people who are interested in it. I do not expect most people to care about MBTI irl, therefore it is not important that they know my type. I don't like other people having to accommodate me, and expecting everybody I am in a relationship with to learn both my four letters and MBTI as a system for my benefit . . . yeah.

FWIW, I am as likely on online tests to test INFP as I am to test INFJ, if not more likely, but I have come to see that as a flaw in the tests, a result of it being difficult to find good questions for NJs. *shrug*
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by s0532 View Post
    Very important to me at first because it helped to understand myself and relationships better. Less important now, though to some extent hard not to think about interpersonal dynamics within framework of cog functions.
    I agree exactly with what s0532 said. I'm not quite sure how to vote that on the poll...

FL

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'd imagine it could bug someone like you just because they'd be so wrong. (I dunno, your INTPness abundantly clear to me.) Others mistyping can be kind of annoying just for misunderstanding/ misapplication of theory. And the times when people seem downright delusional.
    Yes, the "wrongness" is the thing that has bugged me in the past (i.e., I am not upset at being judged INFP because I don't want to be an INFP, but because I think it's a wrong conclusion, and errors and misapplications such as that bug me -- sometimes they even eat away at me and grab far too much of my attention).

And, on some level, like anyone else, it sometimes feels like others are telling me who I am supposed to be, based on their categorizations, regardless of my own observations and experiences.

I guess it sort of is like the gender thing. I just decided to accept that some people will categorize me a certain way, regardless of what I say, based on what they can observe and conjecture; and in the long run it's not worth the energy expenditure to convince them otherwise, as along as I can keep a firm grasp in my mind of who I know I am.

Nor is it worth the energy to keep arguing, if they've got an entrenched viewpoint; the most economic way to correct things is simply to let things go, be who I am, and trust the errors will become more obvious over time... Maybe that's a little idealistic, but the energy expenditure usually becomes too great to fight a pointless battle.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    And, on some level, like anyone else, it sometimes feels like others are telling me who I am supposed to be, based on their categorizations, regardless of my own observations and experiences.
    Hits nail on the head!

Yes, that feeling that others put you in a box and rather than getting to know you better, they just insist that you are whomever they first assumed. Or worse yet, they insist you are the same as their mother, or ex-girlfriend, or someone else that hurt them in a personal way. It's unpleasant to be held personally responsible for the behavior of unknown, and apparently horrible, people. I do appreciate that people feel vulnerable and are afraid of getting hurt, so they try very hard to be prepared to see the horribleness ahead of time. It is exhausting to have to spend the majority of ones interaction proving those fears wrong. Sometimes it's worth it, but it does happen a lot between all types. It consumes way more energy and creates more confusion than is reasonable or healthy.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
    I agree exactly with what s0532 said. I'm not quite sure how to vote that on the poll...

FL
    How much of it is internalized now though? As in you type someone and react/speak accordingly without really thinking about it.