User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    GONE

Default How do you develop Ni?

Apparently my 'Ni' is very low according to that smarty-pants cognitive functions test floating around the web. I may have to disagree. Once I figure out what Ni is.

Judging from, uh, "a few examples" I've seen -- Ni seems to be bat guano kookiness? Precognition? Telepathy?

Kewl.

So -- how do you develop that?

Seriously.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

look at everything around you and question how it's viewed and why it even exists.

whenever i talk to an intj friend of mine i always come into the conversation from a typical Ti point of view that figuring out how all the variables relate to each other we can setup a framework to achieve the desired result. his responses are usually something like the framework doesn't even need to exist or comes at it from another angle stating that something i held to be a constant was not only not constant but should be changed or not used -- basically making all my "variable work" pointless. it's always interesting but i come away from these conversations feeling that the world i can imagine is tiny in comparison to what he can imagine. it's frustrating at times, but always interesting

i get the feeling if i (or others maybe) who aren't naturally strong in Ni tried to function as a Ni primary would they would go crazy

so yeah, that's my experience/input.

edit: btw hey czecze, how's it going
    I'm feeling rough, I'm feeling raw, I'm in the prime of my life.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    How do you develop Ni?
    The best way is to strip to just your overalls, cover yourself in pig excrement and hang off of a flying fox by just your ankles.

Try it, it really works.
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by miked277 View Post
    look at everything around you and question how it's viewed and why it even exists.

i get the feeling if i (or others maybe) who aren't naturally strong in Ni tried to function as a Ni primary would they would go crazy
    haha, i think so too.
    I still cant understand how Ni really works... or is applied in reality, even though I score always pretty high on Ni
    I...74%
    N...66%
    F... 62%
    P... 72%
    Ti- Ne- Si- Fe
    Te- Ni-Fi- Se
    Ennegramm: 4w5
    Intrapersonal with Logical- Mathemathical I.
    Cassification: brunette East- baltid^^

MBTI
    isfp

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Apparently my 'Ni' is very low according to that smarty-pants cognitive functions test floating around the web. I may have to disagree. Once I figure out what Ni is.

Judging from, uh, "a few examples" I've seen -- Ni seems to be bat guano kookiness? Precognition? Telepathy?

Kewl.

So -- how do you develop that?

Seriously.

Amazon.com: 8 Keys to Self Leadership: From Awareness to Action: Dario Nardi: Books

This is one of the best books EVER on cognitive processes, including how to develop each of them. Seriously.

for a good explanation of each of the functions, see this link:

Understanding the Eight Jungian Cognitive Processes / Eight Functions Attitudes

Sarah
    ISFP

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

The nature of intuition is to ask "why". Intuition does not accept things at face value, but wants to know the significance or principal behind what is right in front of us. This is true of both Ne and Ni. This asking of "why" manifests itself differently depending on whether the intution is introverted or extraverted.

Extraverted intuition, like all extraverted functions, is oriented more toward breadth because it tries to be the function that operates during almost every situation you come across in the external world. This means that Ne asks "why" about basically everything. It goes about unconsciously generating some kind of explanation for everything it encounters and then quickly moves onto the next thing. The result is that, because it is oriented toward many things at once it is excellent about seeing patterns between things that might seem totally unrelated to anyone else. It also naturally generates a large quantity of ideas, since the constant "why" already trains the mind to keep spitting out ideas. Eventually the mind becomes trained to spit out ideas on it's own without even asking the "why" question. Additionally all extraverted functions are useful for communication, but Ne is the most appropriate when giving an explanation of why something works, and is also the best for communicating novel ideas on the spot.

Introverted intuition, like all introverted functions, is oriented toward depth. It is much more focused than its extraverted counterpart. While Ne will ask "why" about one thing, and then ask "why" about something else, Ni will focus on one thing at a time and will keep asking "why" about the same thing over and over again. This is what is meant when Ni is said to be able to view things from multiple perspectives. It sees multiple possible explanations for the same thing. Then it can choose one explanation or an amalgam of explanations. This also results in the NJ having the greatest depth in understanding whatever it focuses on. It can even see patterns and trends from the present and past and extrapolate them into the future. Unfortunately introverted functions are not oriented toward communication, and the thought process for Ni is unconscious so the person is only aware of the result but not how they got there. This means that NJ's seem to have a way of just "knowing things", but they will be unable to adequately explain how they know.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Interesting stuff, thanks for the discussion. Ni is supposedly my 8th function, so it does kind of feel like my appendix sometimes. I think I can also see how the Ne comes more naturally to me than the Ni.

MBTI
    ISTJ

How do you know if N is i or e? What is it for ISTJ, do all ISTJ have the same N?

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

According to the function charts, Ne is supposed to be ISTJs' 4th strongest function out of 8, and Ni is supposed to be ISTJs' weakest of all. It means our natural preference is very low for Ni, and comparatively low for Ne.

Well, not sure if this is exactly on target, but I invariably draw a blank when people tell me to make up something from thin air. That's what I get the feeling Ni is about, just coming up with an idea from out of the blue. If I'm off-base, someone may correct this post.

I have always asked "why" a lot, but not long ago I realized I could go into greater depth, and pursue that "why" for more than just a few steps. I would ask a chain of "why"s, trying to make a long chain of logic. That's switching from an Ne view to an Ni view, if I understand it. Though, that could be a T(thinking) function, and not N(intuitive); the differences here trip me up.
    Last edited by Cimarron; 09-14-2008 at 02:15 AM. Reason: grammar, explanation, speculation

MBTI
    ISTJ

hmmm, thank you. I've sort of got the funtion descriptions down but still get lost about the details.