• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do you develop Ni?

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Moved to MBTI, Enneagram, and other personality matrices

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Heh, I may have used the word "why" too much, but the idea is that intuition tries to get at the meaning behind something instead of simply seeing it as it appears. "Why", "What if", "How" etc... are all questions that intuition might ask. It simply does these unconsciously, and then we get the result without really knowing how it got there.

I'm right with you. Like, "How can my preferred politician respond to that in a way that will bring him/her up in the polls" and next thing I know my mind is writing the speech of all speeches...

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Tendency to be detached from people and reality. Have an interests in advanced hard science. To be obsessed with solar system when you are 4 years old, and stuff like that.

I had tendency and I was born with it. So I have developed it very good.
Ni is from all eight functions the most ilusive function .

Personaly I think that you can't have developed Ni and be ISTJ. Sorry.

Darn it!;)

AND THANK YOU ALL FOR THE EDUCATION OF BELLA THE S.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
What must not be forgot, is that N and S are ways of perceiving the world. So they are nothing else but your interface of your mind and the world.

An Extroverted Sensor, for example, is the most probable to see, hear, feel, taste and touch things as they really are. According to the definition that makes him receptive to the world and what is actual going on.

While an Extroverted Intuitor is less intrested into the physical appearances but more into the "unspoken words". For example, if you have a party of random people, all being nice to each other, an Intuitor is most probably the one, who recognizes that those people do hate each others and are just playing their little games there.

The significant thing is that being a Sensor does not make you loose this ability and vice versa. Having that "brilliant idea effect" like Newton had with the apple, is probably I would tell, per definition a thing more likely to happen to be noticed by a Sensor.

Whats even more important is that the preference for S means to have a preference for reality, while having a preference for N can make you a constant bugger, noone wants to listen to at a certain point, because he is seeing things that just do not exist.

So it is in the end not about the one function. It is the whole of the functions working together.

I myself for example, am very renonwed for saying things by accident that shed a new light on a situation, people havent thought about. From time to time, I can succeed with that, but I am really not aware of it, when it happens, except the others tell me or I notice it within them. That is why they call my type the innovator. On the other hand I am totally into a routined process of things. I do not like dull "mind work" but I really do have my routes, things, habits and rituals that I do at least once a day. That is not pretty innovative :))) but a thing, more related to Si in combination with Ti, for example.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Go to thread : Why should someone have sex and read posts 182 and 186.

Their point is, be careful with wishes.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Er....er....goodness me....what to say.:shock:
My S-iness is wonderfully un-comlicated, isn't it!:D

But never mind that. You don't like sex?! My heart bleeds.....

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
yeah, the grass really never is greener on the other side......you bunch of crazies!!!!!

Kidding!:cheese:

redacted

I was going to write a long explanation, but TLL covered all the necessary ground :)

Read his posts.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
does anyone have a online test or something? i'm sick of guessing.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
I'm confused. Why do you want a test?

Also, online tests are horrible.

i want self clarification. i want t know how strong me Ni, Fe is etc. the thing about MBTI is that is that it tells you the order of 4 processes typical of your type, but not the rest. so for me i have Ne, Fi, Te and Si in that order according to the theory. what about the other processes? don't tell me that i don't have any Ni, that's just ridiculous. where does my Ni stand in terms of the strength of my processes? can i formulate some norm of all the processes? i want stuff to theorize on :p

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
That's the Cognitive Processes Test Understanding the Eight Jungian Cognitive Processes / Eight Functions Attitudes

It will give you an idea of the relative strengths of all of the functions, regardless of which "role" (dom. aux. ter., etc) they are supposed to be in.

thanks bro. i did the test, here are the results:

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)

extraverted Sensing (Se) ************************** (26.9)
average use

introverted Sensing (Si) *********** (11.7)
unused

extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ******************************************* (43.2)
excellent use

introverted Intuiting (Ni) ********************************* (33)
good use

extraverted Thinking (Te) *************** (15.6)
unused

introverted Thinking (Ti) ******************************** (32.9)
good use

extraverted Feeling (Fe) ********************************* (33.1)
good use

introverted Feeling (Fi) ******************************************** (44.2)
excellent use

Summary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INFP

Lead (Dominant) Process
Introverted Feeling (Fi): Staying true to who you really are. Paying close attention to your personal identity, values and beliefs. Checking with your conscience. Choosing behavior congruent with what is important to you.

Support (Auxilliary) Process
Extraverted Intuiting (Ne): Exploring the emerging patterns. Wondering about patterns of interaction across various situations. Checking what hypotheses and meanings fit best. Trusting what emerges as you shift a situation’s dynamics.

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENFP, or INTP

pretty accurate i guess. it's important to not take this too far though because it's not perfect. Ni questions are horrible. 'do you ever get premonitions?' well, do you ever get punched in the face? did you foresee that happening? it was worth the time though :D

interesting pattern showing here too if i am at all indicative of everyone else. my order goes Fi, Ne, Fe, Ni, Ti, Se, Te, Si

bit of a trend there wouldn't you think? i'm not sure if this order is EXACTLY correct, i would think that my Ne is higher than my Fi. however, it looks safe to say that my external and internal functions here of the same letter stick close to each other.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Introverted intuition, like all introverted functions, is oriented toward depth. It is much more focused than its extraverted counterpart. While Ne will ask "why" about one thing, and then ask "why" about something else, Ni will focus on one thing at a time and will keep asking "why" about the same thing over and over again. This is what is meant when Ni is said to be able to view things from multiple perspectives. It sees multiple possible explanations for the same thing. Then it can choose one explanation or an amalgam of explanations. This also results in the NJ having the greatest depth in understanding whatever it focuses on. It can even see patterns and trends from the present and past and extrapolate them into the future. Unfortunately introverted functions are not oriented toward communication, and the thought process for Ni is unconscious so the person is only aware of the result but not how they got there. This means that NJ's seem to have a way of just "knowing things", but they will be unable to adequately explain how they know.

Your responses to mbti questions are always very knowledgeable, and right on, in my opinion (and I think you have a lot of real-world experience to support and build on the theories - not just a heap of stereotypes and stuff copy-and-pasted from other internet sources, much of which I tend to disagree with/question anyway). Basically I never have any issues with whatever you write. :)

I think this is an excellent summary of Ni.

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Actually I think of Ni as asking "What if" rather than Why which Nardi for sure attributes to Ti...

So as children (and as we become writers :) what if we could travel through time? What would it be like to be a basketball? What if Captain Kirk saves someone who was supposed to die and actually stalls the allies from stopping Hitler? What if Cinderella was ugly but nice, or her sisters pretty but still mean? What if I were in charge?

Today it's manifesting itself as what if i were writing Obama's speeches...

So all those creativity exercises can help with developing skills with it, just as I can work on Si by reality exercises. ISTJs can be really creative, especially in problem solving, once there is agreement on the facts and a clear definition of the problem. N's often start solving before they get what the problem is...natural place for synergy when we're working together :)

Interesting, I may have been looking at things wrong for a long time then, because I thought those were the kind of things Ne does...

The idea of taking things that don't seem to go together and asking "what if I put these together? what results could that produce?". For example, I look at the way Joss Whedon thought of Firefly as mixing elements of westerns and sci fi to create something unique. I considered that to be a great example of how an Ne dominant mind would work, but reading your description, I could see where that could be seen as Ni.

I ask lots of questions like
"Why",
"What if...?",
"What motivated ____ to do ____?",
"Was that the intended meaning/result of their words/actions, or is there more to it than that?"
"What do they really mean by ___?",
"What are the implications of ___?",
"What is ____ subconsciously communicating? (which in itself is often a question I ask subconsciously/automatically)",
and "What possibilities does this open up?".

Do questions like those solidly represent either Ni or Ne, or are they a combination of both Ni and Ne? I think I use both, but I vacillate between thinking I prefer one to the other depending on my mood and day (the same applies to Ti/Te, but this is not the discussion for that).

TLL said:
The concept of gravity is an abstraction of concrete things, while the football really is concrete.

When I read that, it conjured an image of what football might be like if the ball were made of concrete. :) After that first mental image, it would go on to see the immediate problems and then see what else could be changed to make the basic idea workable, then it would go on to tangents like asking what if a shotput size super funball were used instead and so on (those images and tangents happening in what feels like a suspension of time while I think about them, and could be seconds or minutes in reality)... Ni, Ne or something else?

Even before reading this I was having occasional moments where I was wondering if I might be an abnormal INxJ instead of an INFP, and this gives me further reason to question at least which functions I'm using instinctively that might indicate natural preference and which ones I've more consciously developed to support my more dominant/preferred functions...

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Do questions like those solidly represent either Ni or Ne, or are they a combination of both Ni and Ne?

Those questions could be either Ne or Ni. Intuition in either form will ask lots of questions to get at the underlying ideas and principles. The main difference is between breadth and depth. Ne will ask questions about lots of things (and possibly start linking them together). Ni will tend to focus on one thing at a time, but ask lots of questions about that one thing.

When I read that, it conjured an image of what football might be like if the ball were made of concrete. :) After that first mental image, it would go on to see the immediate problems and then see what else could be changed to make the basic idea workable, then it would go on to tangents like asking what if a shotput size super funball were used instead and so on (those images and tangents happening in what feels like a suspension of time while I think about them, and could be seconds or minutes in reality)... Ni, Ne or something else?

This description sounds more like Ne to me, but it mostly has to do with the first sentence. You took a football and concrete and linked them together. :) Ne has this way of trying to make sense of everything at once, so it can take seemingly unrelated things and link them together. The rest of the paragraph sounds more like Ne, but it could be Ni too. The first sentence is what really jumped out at me.