User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

You'd probably enjoy the discussions on these things that go on at type conferences in the bar at night...

There's a lot of dissent about how the extraverted and introverted forms of the preferences work. I'm in the camp that doesn't think you can divide Ne from Ni quite so neatly. In fact the difference may be more in how we process than in the what.

My Ni for example only functions well when I can think, reflect (yeah, well, my dominant function happens in the internal world...). Brainstorming sessions--I have to ignore what's going on and get my own thoughts going. Just about all of my colleagues prefer ENFP and I have to tell them, "Keep going--I'm thinking and I'll be with you in a minute." They're used to it. I do modeling based on internal vision and external stimuli, so I don't buy into the clear-cut distinctions. I can use my N alone in my office envisioning the best way to design a training workshop. I can use it in a classroom when things aren't going right (if I'm the observer, not the instructor, or if there's a pause so I can get my thoughts together) to come up with a totally new technique in the moment to fix things.

My ENFP colleagues are just the opposite. They want to talk things through to get their Intuition going. One, if she's stuck and can't meet with a colleague, heads to the Mall of America where all the action feeds her Intuition. Our orientation to the external world defines how we use the functions in a huge way, not just the nuanced differences between the E and I forms of the functions...
    edcoaching

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by edcoaching View Post
    Our orientation to the external world defines how we use the functions in a huge way, not just the nuanced differences between the E and I forms of the functions...
    That's basically how I see it. Ne and Ni are both intuition. In a sense they both have the same raw source. The differences between Ne and Ni come from our E/I preferences.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Yup. Which is why I think of it as a spectrum of introversion to extroversion within a function as opposed to two separate but overlapping functions.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

When interpreting events I find that those with Ni, whether sensors or intuitors, pursue an explanation until they have reason to believe otherwise. Those with Ne will either remain unaware of a likely explanation or consider the possibility to be only one of many.

Ne: It could be this, or this, or this, or even this!

Ni: No, it's this and only this.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    When interpreting events I find that those with Ni, whether sensors or intuitors, pursue an explanation until they have reason to believe otherwise. Those with Ne will either remain unaware of a likely explanation or consider the possibility to be only one of many.

Ne: It could be this, or this, or this, or even this!

Ni: No, it's this and only this.
    What you might be experiencing is the fact that we Ni's don't speak up until we've pursued what we're thinking of to some sort of conclusion, so you don't hear how many other could be's we pondered before choosing one. I can spin in my socks forever if there's no pressure to choose...
    edcoaching

MBTI
    INTj

What you might be experiencing is the fact that we Ni's don't speak up until we've pursued what we're thinking of to some sort of conclusion, so you don't hear how many other could be's we pondered before choosing one. I can spin in my socks forever if there's no pressure to choose...
    Ding! Ding! Ding!

That's what I say to myself every time I hear the Ni folks are absolutists argument. My thoughts are, "I don't say it until I know that I know, or when I'm very comfortable with the margin for error." Saying something that is wrong has been a fear of mine for as long as I can remember. Therefore, I think, think, think, think, and then maybe I'll say something . . . maybe.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    nnnn

I can spin in my socks forever if there's no pressure to choose...
    Yes. But I will choose and not look back much when I have to. Extroverted judging process.

I always feel that for me the outside world (and by that I mean the drudgery of SJ society, harsh reality, not the poetic experience of a trip through the Sahara desert or going out dancing at night - Ni requires a subjetive approach, but is not by default cloistered) is fairly irrelevant. And malleable. Making choices that pertain to it are based around a pragmatic approach that attempts to keep the external world from making it harder on me to get immersed in what Ni spins out. This outside SJ world filled with practical concerns is only a secondary plane of existence.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Interesting. That's not at all my experience. Most of the calculation, I wager, is done in the subconscious, and explanations not drawn from experience or deduction pop into my head. From that point, unless I must know a thing for certain, the likely answer is assigned and I move on.

Senior Member TenebrousReflection's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Those questions could be either Ne or Ni. Intuition in either form will ask lots of questions to get at the underlying ideas and principles. The main difference is between breadth and depth. Ne will ask questions about lots of things (and possibly start linking them together). Ni will tend to focus on one thing at a time, but ask lots of questions about that one thing.

This description sounds more like Ne to me, but it mostly has to do with the first sentence. You took a football and concrete and linked them together. Ne has this way of trying to make sense of everything at once, so it can take seemingly unrelated things and link them together. The rest of the paragraph sounds more like Ne, but it could be Ni too. The first sentence is what really jumped out at me.
    Thanks,

This would seem to point to Ne having preference since in that context, I think its what I use automatically, but I do think I use Ni in the way you described as well, but its much more conscious when I'm doing it and I think I tend to use it less and reserve its use for the things that have greater importance to me (Ne is always on, and Ni gets used more when I want to explore an idea or possibility in much greater depth (nearly instant vs spending minutes to hours reflectign on something specific)).

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Intuition in either form will ask lots of questions to get at the underlying ideas and principles. The main difference is between breadth and depth. Ne will ask questions about lots of things (and possibly start linking them together). Ni will tend to focus on one thing at a time, but ask lots of questions about that one thing.
    I've been looking for an adequate explanation of Ni forever and feeling a little disappointed because I got stuck with it. I thought, "Man, it sure would be great to have Ne and be more open-minded and consider all of the possibilities! That would be the life!" Now I realize that Ni has it's merits as well.

This reminds me of a story. I have a friend from college that's an ENFP and we were hanging out one time and he was talking about how much he enjoyed having a space heater. This was in response to a comment I made about how cold his house was. Then I asked him how much does he keep the thing on and he said it was on all the time. Afterward, I introduced the possibility that the electricity used to power the space heater was quite possibly costing him more in the long run than actual heating and asked if he had ever looked into it. He didn't even want to consider the possibility.

That's not to say that Ne can't be deep, it just doesn't want to consider implications. Like Se it prefers to dwell in the present. Interesting stuff really.
    "... you think deeply about stuff [that] nobody cares about and hardly anybody can understand you." ~ Peguy talking about Ni users. So true.