User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

I don't know, I wouldn't depend on it. But does the middle paragraph in my last post resonate with you (being an ISTJ)? I'm trying to get a feel for what Ni is exactly, myself.

MBTI
    ISTJ

Well, I'm drawing a blank right now, have to think about it first. Is that the same thing, not being able to respond quickly to an answer? (or is that just stupidity! Haha!) Hmmm, I remember reading that S's have trouble with MBTI tests in that they're not always sure how to answer the questions. That's true - I often didn't feel like I knew how to answer because I didn't quite get what they were asking. That must most definitely have something to do with N, no? Getting the general idea of something and then responding to it.

Oh heck, I don't know......but it's good to talk to an ISTJ! There are so few around here!

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Bella View Post
    How do you know if N is i or e? What is it for ISTJ, do all ISTJ have the same N?
    N is the weakest function of the Istj.... No wonder, most ISTj are not the idea types, but more the linear thinkers, stickung to the rule, detail- oriented... Thatīs kind of the opposite of Intuition
    I...74%
    N...66%
    F... 62%
    P... 72%
    Ti- Ne- Si- Fe
    Te- Ni-Fi- Se
    Ennegramm: 4w5
    Intrapersonal with Logical- Mathemathical I.
    Cassification: brunette East- baltid^^

MBTI
    ISTJ

So is N about ideas or is it about picking up on "vibes', attitudes or whatever that nobody else is picking up on. I thought the traditional definition of being intuitive is being able to just "tell". Does that make sense? Wher do ideas fit into it?

Bear with your neighborhood S........

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp

To tell you the truth I think you must be born with it or at least with the tendency.

MBTI
    ISTJ

BUT WHAT IS THE TENDENCY!! PLEASE EXPLAIN THE TENDENCY!!!!!!!!!!!

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Well, I'm drawing a blank right now, have to think about it first. Is that the same thing, not being able to respond quickly to an answer? (or is that just stupidity! Haha!) Hmmm, I remember reading that S's have trouble with MBTI tests in that they're not always sure how to answer the questions. That's true - I often didn't feel like I knew how to answer because I didn't quite get what they were asking. That must most definitely have something to do with N, no? Getting the general idea of something and then responding to it.

Oh heck, I don't know......but it's good to talk to an ISTJ! There are so few around here!
    Well, itīs definitly not stupidy!!! Introverts tend to reflect first, than they answer, but thats another couple of tea.
    To answer "abstract" question, you have to be more intuitive, not trying to fiind answer through your sensing process, but just through you N...
    I...74%
    N...66%
    F... 62%
    P... 72%
    Ti- Ne- Si- Fe
    Te- Ni-Fi- Se
    Ennegramm: 4w5
    Intrapersonal with Logical- Mathemathical I.
    Cassification: brunette East- baltid^^

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp

BUT WHAT IS THE TENDENCY!! PLEASE EXPLAIN THE TENDENCY!!!!!!!!!!!
    Tendency to be detached from people and reality. Have an interests in advanced hard science. To be obsessed with solar system when you are 4 years old, and stuff like that.

I had tendency and I was born with it. So I have developed it very good.
    Ni is from all eight functions the most ilusive function .

Personaly I think that you can't have developed Ni and be ISTJ. Sorry.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Actually I think of Ni as asking "What if" rather than Why which Nardi for sure attributes to Ti...

So as children (and as we become writers what if we could travel through time? What would it be like to be a basketball? What if Captain Kirk saves someone who was supposed to die and actually stalls the allies from stopping Hitler? What if Cinderella was ugly but nice, or her sisters pretty but still mean? What if I were in charge?

Today it's manifesting itself as what if i were writing Obama's speeches...

So all those creativity exercises can help with developing skills with it, just as I can work on Si by reality exercises. ISTJs can be really creative, especially in problem solving, once there is agreement on the facts and a clear definition of the problem. N's often start solving before they get what the problem is...natural place for synergy when we're working together
    edcoaching

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

So is N about ideas or is it about picking up on "vibes', attitudes or whatever that nobody else is picking up on. I thought the traditional definition of being intuitive is being able to just "tell". Does that make sense? Wher do ideas fit into it?

Bear with your neighborhood S........
    The difference between S and N is concrete vs abstract. When a person is picking up on "vibes" or they can just "tell", that might be a result of either S or N. The "vibes" mean that the person is relying on an unconscious function. If the person were relying on thinking or feeling, then they would know why they reached their conclusion. When a person relies on S or N they only know the conclusion, but probably don't know how they got there, because the process is unconscious.

For example when a wide receiver runs out 50+ yards and catches a football, then he is using Se. How does he know where to be and when to get there in order to catch the ball? He just knows. He is just able to "tell". If Te were used to catch the football, then he'd have to know the speed and trajectory of the ball when released, and he'd have to know his running speed, etc.... He'd have to do a lot of measuring and calculating to get the same result. Se does all the measuring and calculating unconsciously, and then just gives the result, "Go here at this time to catch the ball". Although he doesn't even really think this thought, he just knows where to go without thinking about it.

Intuition is like this only it is about ideas rather than something concrete or tangible. Say Isaac Newton is sitting under a tree trying to figure out why the planets revolve around the sun. An apple falls and the idea comes to him suddenly, "the force moving the planets is the same force that dropped the apple to the ground". This flash of insight is intution (Ni specifically). He didn't sit down and methodically come to that conclusion like a person consciously using thinking. The calculations were done unconsciously and he only got the result. Later he went out and performed the necessary calculations on paper (i.e. thinking) to show everyone else the insight is true, but that isn't how he got the idea in the first place.

Now both the football player and Isaac Newton had a way of just "knowing" their result. The difference is that Isaac Newton's "knowing" had to do purely with an idea, while the football player's insight was more concrete in nature (a ball, a field, etc...). The concept of gravity is an abstraction of concrete things, while the football really is concrete.

Quote Originally Posted by edcoaching
    Actually I think of Ni as asking "What if" rather than Why which Nardi for sure attributes to Ti...
    Heh, I may have used the word "why" too much, but the idea is that intuition tries to get at the meaning behind something instead of simply seeing it as it appears. "Why", "What if", "How" etc... are all questions that intuition might ask. It simply does these unconsciously, and then we get the result without really knowing how it got there.
    Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser; 09-15-2008 at 06:23 AM. Reason: clean up a few things
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com