• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Physical expression of Ni and Ne

Gypsy-Flux

I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me as to the physical expression of these two functions. How do Ni and Ne appear to the observer when they are active? How do they come across? What manner of speech do they typically use? ~ Any other observations outside of these particular questions are also greatly appreciated.

Apologies if this has been asked before, and thanks for any input.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Well, this one example I know of myself isn't "physcial" but it is external and a tell, if you know what to look out for regarding Ne. I tend to give new meaning to words all the time and may even invent my own words to talk about anything really, not just the abstract. I only know I do this because I get inquisitive looks fairly often from people that aren't on the same train at the time. To me I'm speaking rather fluidly and obvious, but I have to keep in mind that I don't tend to give context to my new word usage often either. Having to give context all the time would only slow my thought process down and that's no fun. Using tried and true vocabulary wouldn't necessarily give an accurate portrayal to my thoughts either, or so I feel. So how I speak and the words I use, is the first thing to come to mind in spotting either of the Inuitive functions.

I'm curious to see what others say as I've often wondered what about Ne is so obvious to others here on the forum or irl as well.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, I am the queen of the thousand-yard stare. I think I must look mildly mentally deficient.

And it occurs at the most inopportune times. I improve with age, but I still get the "Hey!" or shoulder nudge while at dinner or in line at a movie because I've lost touched with my physical surroundings.

(Ni-dom here)

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Well, I am the queen of the thousand-yard stare. I think I must look mildly mentally deficient.

And it occurs at the most inopportune times. I improve with age, but I still get the "Hey!" or "shoulder nudge" while at dinner or in line at a movie because I've lost touched with my physical surroundings.

(Ni-dom here)

I was just about to mention something along these lines too. Not sure if it's true of dominant intuitive types, but in videos of myself I notice that I do tend to look all over the place when talking, and only occasionally actually looking at someone in the eyes.

Punderstorm

Wallflower power!
MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think Ne has a scattered sort of look, whereas Ni is more intense and dreamy.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was just about to mention something along these lines too. Not sure if it's true of dominant intuitive types, but in videos of myself I notice that I do tend to look all over the place when talking, and only occasionally actually looking at someone in the eyes.

I think Ne has a scattered sort of look, whereas Ni is more intense and dreamy.

Yes. My ex was an ENFP. Very different outward appearance. His eyes rove around wildly a lot.

I stare at a spot in the air and fall into it.

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Yes. My ex was an ENFP. Very different outward appearance. His eyes rove around wildly a lot.

I stare at a spot in the air and fall into it.

Come to think about it, it's just so much easier to translate your thoughts into words when you aren't focused on the outside world isn't it? I know I tend to visualize something almost as if it were physically in front of me, then basically just explain what it is I'm "seeing". So I assume I have this spaced out look when I do that haha.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ne when thinking will seem that their eyes are starting to collect information going everywhere and it'll look very exotic and energetic about what information it is getting at.

Ni seems to cool down, eyes will move a little less and usually as I notice, I tend to look very directionally towards things where with Ne they're really looking at no particular direction.

Pi/Pe doms will tend to naturally droop themselves while walking, and Ji/Je doms tend to walk forth upright.

Ni doms since introverted will talk in very long monologues about things mostly their interested or have been researching immensely on. Ne doms tend to want to skip from topic to topic as a skipping stone across a body of water. But will burn out if you don't follow along. Ni doms will be slower to switch or may break off if you're not too interested in deeply said topic.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh yeah and Ni doms will look naturally intimidating. INFJ's slightly softer though.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh yeah and Ni doms will look naturally intimidating. INFJ's slightly softer though.
Why/how so?

One thing I find myself doing is seeming to switch gears drastically in mid conversation, but it really is just another piece of the bigger puzzle that needs to be brought in for the whole picture to make sense. People think I have suddenly changed the subject, and I have to reassure them that we will in fact get back to the original subject, and I will show them how this is relevant. A physical analog might be assembling the ingredients necessary to cook a recipe. Ni is very much a gathering function, bringing disparate and seemingly unrelated pieces of information into a single coherent vision.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have dead eyes. :(

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Why/how so?

One thing I find myself doing is seeming to switch gears drastically in mid conversation, but it really is just another piece of the bigger puzzle that needs to be brought in for the whole picture to make sense. People think I have suddenly changed the subject, and I have to reassure them that we will in fact get back to the original subject, and I will show them how this is relevant. A physical analog might be assembling the ingredients necessary to cook a recipe. Ni is very much a gathering function, bringing disparate and seemingly unrelated pieces of information into a single coherent vision.

I tend to explain my ideas in much the same way, but the difference is, I bring in other analogies to further explain my ideas, rather than bringing in something new, that later ties into the whole. I find that once someone has understood a thought of mine, it's more or less considered "done" in my book, and I'll jump to another idea. This is my sort of "evolved" approach to talking at people since I used to leave people in the dust all the time and just ramble and think aloud while I'm talking. I do the courteous thing and try to make sure the other person at least somewhat sees where I'm coming from and headed.

Went off on tangent, but yes, I do find it fun to talk with Ni users as I see this approach used often. Unless the side bit of information is truly out of left field where I can't see how it ties together, usually I can follow along and the conversation goes quicker between us since we often do this conversational tango where I go two steps forward and the Ni user goes one step back. This is compared to an unfortunate situation where I'm left saying all this information, then basically having to repeat my thoughts over and over.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I tend to explain my ideas in much the same way, but the difference is, I bring in other analogies to further explain my ideas, rather than bringing in something new, that later ties into the whole. I find that once someone has understood a thought of mine, it's more or less considered "done" in my book, and I'll jump to another idea. This is my sort of "evolved" approach to talking at people since I used to leave people in the dust all the time and just ramble and think aloud while I'm talking. I do the courteous thing and try to make sure the other person at least somewhat sees where I'm coming from and headed.

Went off on tangent, but yes, I do find it fun to talk with Ni users as I see this approach used often. Unless the side bit of information is truly out of left field where I can't see how it ties together, usually I can follow along and the conversation goes quicker between us since we often do this conversational tango where I go two steps forward and the Ni user goes one step back. This is compared to an unfortunate situation where I'm left saying all this information, then basically having to repeat my thoughts over and over.

Will you answer this with a vid? :D

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Why/how so?

For your question, I say this mostly off of personal experience. I just see people shiver at me when we meet for the first time or they're entranced with the look I give them which they could mistake for interest in them.

The Ni stare is often received by being "looked through".

I really agree with your statement that's how I speak too. I wondered if Ne was like that but it isn't. It's like getting people at necessary checkpoints with my explanation before I present to them my gift.

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Ohh OK, just thought of something else to add to this thread topic. I get easily excited over new things or thoughts. Excited intertwined with curiosity in equal parts. I just want to jump in and figure it out. What am I looking at? What does it do? Etc. Etc.

Depending on the circumstance, I may even squeal with delight like a little school girl. Stores that clearly have signs that say, "do not touch" beware, Dreamer is approaching.

Gypsy-Flux

What about pacing around when deep in thought or on the phone. Do Ne users have a tendency to do this more than others?

The Ne users that I've known do these sorts of things a lot when their minds seem to be racing. Like move around in the room with no particular destination. They just sort of weave around, all the while talking, and I'm thinking "Why did he go that way and come back, if he had nothing to do over there?" lol But yeah you can tell their minds are racing/preoccupied because they don't stop talking about a particular subject, and the body seems to mirror this mental activity in a way...

I could be wrong, maybe this type of behavior is not associated with Ne. Anyone relate to that sort of thing?

Wha-? What do you mean? Something like this..?
deadfish.jpg

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

No way. Fi-doms have a soft, dreamy look about the eyes. I've seen it with both of the IxFP types I've dated. You can feel the warmth (or anger as it were) emanating from the eyes. I even see it with Fi-users (like INTJs) at times when they've got the warm and fuzzies or any intense emotion. It's so much more subtle and raw than us Fe-types exude.

Makes my stony heart fucking melt.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
My 'look' as ranged from darting my eyes all over the place, intense stare, contemplative wheels-turning, trollish, and stoic.

My physical expression is more in the words and tone I use. I typically get vocally animated when I talk about something of interest with someone. I usually start a conversation with the understanding that I have no freaking clue where it's going to end up. :D

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No way. Fi-doms have a soft, dreamy look about the eyes. I've seen it with both of the IxFP types I've dated. You can feel the warmth (or anger as it were) emanating from the eyes. I even see it with Fi-users (like INTJs) at times when they've got the warm and fuzzies or any intense emotion. It's so much more subtle and raw than us Fe-types exude.

Makes my stony heart fucking melt.

IDK my eyes always look flat to me. I think I deleted all my eye pics on the forum but there was this one thread where pretty much everyone concurred that I had mean/hostile/bitchy resting eyes, hahaha.