User Tag List

12 Last

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Default Sloan more useful

Sloan is more excepted in 'real' science. Does this mean it is a better tool for understanding people?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Well, if you want to blindly accept everything you read, then the answer is yes.

Otherwise, don't ask us. Try it out. Come to the conclusion yourself.

I personally find that SLOAN doesn't really do much, since it basically draws no inferences about interaction between the five spectrums. They're just labels, essentially. I, for one, can't build up any kind of meaningful framework out of those labels, but I haven't really tried that hard, so who knows?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

The SLOAN mit school of management? Or is it something else?
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    Well, if you want to blindly accept everything you read, then the answer is yes.
    I don't that's why I'm appealing to some very well informed minds on this forum.

Come to the conclusion yourself.
    In due time.

I personally find that SLOAN doesn't really do much, since it basically draws no inferences about interaction between the five spectrums. They're just labels, essentially. I, for one, can't build up any kind of meaningful framework out of those labels, but I haven't really tried that hard, so who knows?
    O.k. Thanks.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    The SLOAN mit school of management? Or is it something else?
    The 'big five' personality typing system that psychologists use.

Here's some Wiki:

Big Five personality traits - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I don't find it useful at all.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Hre's one take on it.

The 5PF...4 of them correlate strongly with the 4 MBTI preference dichotomies. The fifth is about neuroses and the "real" MBTI has nothing in it to diagnose psychiatric conditions so I for one wouldn't want to see any correlations!!! They used factor analysis to develop it; factor analysis was also used on the MBTI to see if the items correctly correlated with the 4 scales and they do.

I haven't seen any studies on whether people agree more with their 5PF results, but either way, both are instruments. It's the applications that count and from what I've seen, there aren't as many, or as deep a set of applications, for the 5PF.

And in teams, I wouldn't go near an instrument that actually identifies someone as more or less troubled--people usually are all too ready to label each other if they haven't already! So I wouldn't go near it for those kinds of applications...
    edcoaching

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I find that MBTI used WITH the Enneagram is the most fluid and efficient system.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Actually, an updated version of MBTI called the "Type Differentiation Indicator" does add a new dichotomy of "Comfort-Discomfort" to match Neuroticism. There were originally subscales for this as well as the other four factors in the factor analyses, but Neuroticism was deemed too negative, and then dropped (and then the subscale format also stowed, until Step II).

I wonder if systems like FFM as well as Taylor Johnson might be seen as looking more "scientific", because they don't make "types" out of the scores. They just give you the scores of each factor.
    The "type" system seems to be what is looked on with suspicion; probably as too easy to potentially make into another "difference" to discriminate on, and then I had heard about times when everyone had their MBTI codes on stickers on their doors or desk, and that is just too "pop-culturistic".
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
    Sloan is more excepted in 'real' science. Does this mean it is a better tool for understanding people?
    I wouldn't say 'SLOAN' is more accepted anywhere, as far as I know. The Big Five (IPIP/NEO) is.

No, it doesn't help understand people at all. The research done with it is getting there (notably the extraversion and neuroticism parts), but regardless, it's more about finding what people influence, or how our behaviours influence outcomes.

It is better at answering "What personality traits tend to lead to less happy relationships" and "what personality traits tend to make more money", but that's just because it's used for that. I would say that as far as instruments go, both are pretty valid (granted, IMO, the nature of development of the five factor models makes it a better choice for this function). It's the dichtomies and lack of normalization in MBTI that makes it less suitable. It's still used but not nearly as much in academic circles(you can order research from CAPT.)

Eric: I didn't think Step II included the neuroticism scale. I know they did research into it (and I think it was dropped for including in Step III, which is suppose to resolve the J/P issues) but I thought they never released a test that measured it, formally. When did this come out, and is it integrated into any of the major forms being used?