User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Why would Fe need to take precedence over Ti in an INFJ? Basically, if you're an Ni dominant, there are two options -- Thinking extroverted and Feeling introverted or Thinking introverted and Feeling extroverted. If you're Ti/Fe, you're INFJ, if you're Te/Fi, you're INTJ. No reason they have to be in any specific order in your consciousness. Can you think of one?

Essentially, having a dominant function makes sense. Specific order for the middle two I can't think of a reason for. It also makes sense that the opposite of the dominant would be most difficult to develop, so we can call it inferior.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

If there is no orientation of the functions, then what is the point of functions at all? The functions without orientation is pointless. Each individual function isn't good at explaining anything without it's orientation to another function. As far as strengths of each function goes, in my case, I don't need to develop Ne and Fi, they are and always have been developed, but using them together efficiently is a different story. That's when your last two functions make all the difference.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I didn't say there was no orientation. I'm just saying the middle two aren't necessarily oriented in order. Maybe they tend to be, but that's not my claim. There's no reason they HAVE to be.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

If you HAD to think of a reason they had to be, what would that reason be? It's just the syntax of functions. Sure, I could say my functions are Ne, Te, Fi, Si, but my Fi is always going to be stronger then my Te so why not just put it in order of strength? Sure they don't have to be I suppose but it's just easier to write it that way. What is the point of NOT putting them in order?

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

Mahatma Gandhi

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

The point of not defining a set order is that it glosses over people that happen to develop two introverted functions more strongly than an extroverted one.

1st and 4th make sense. 2nd and 3rd seem interchangeable. It makes sense that on average, an extroverted and an introverted function are going to be the strongest two...but it's not necessarily true.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

It's a fluid system. Each function is not treated as a single entity. Each function's, well...function, is determined by orientation. In other words, each function cannot work by itself as an individual entity. It MUST work with other functions and how it does so is determined by its orientation.

You may be right, I just think that (as usual lol) we are seeing on different pages.

Mahatma Gandhi

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I agree with much of what you say, I just cannot think of a reason the middle two would necessarily have to be in order for every single person. But I'm just repeating myself now, and I have to go to sleep

Goodnight.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by mlittrell View Post
    It's a fluid system. Each function is not treated as a single entity. Each function's, well...function, is determined by orientation. In other words, each function cannot work by itself as an individual entity. It MUST work with other functions and how it does so is determined by its orientation.

You may be right, I just think that (as usual lol) we are seeing on different pages.
    The principle problem in my mind (forgive me if you've "heard" me say it before) is that people can read anything they think or do into whatever supposed function order they want. I could give you a solid case for my being ESFP based on that type's supposed order, but it would be WRONG.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Agreed.

I was just stating the fundamentals of functions. It's just basic function notation or "syntax" to say an ENFP is Ne, Fi, Te, Si, not Ne, TE, Fi, Si.

Mahatma Gandhi

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by mlittrell View Post
    Agreed.

I was just stating the fundamentals of functions. It's just basic function notation or "syntax" to say an ENFP is Ne, Fi, Te, Si, not Ne, TE, Fi, Si.
    And it seems true to a degree.

I could compromise and say ENFPs are NeFi dominant, with unspecified sensing/thinking having limited use. Or that myself, an INTP, is TiNe dominant, with unspecified sensing and feeling having limited use.

Which I would consider even more true to a degree.