Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by sleepless View Post
    So, what has mean little Tertiary done to you? What is it doing right now? Share the pain.
    Si, as it's wont to do, will have me wandering around a dark house at night, listening to music on my headphones, while sipping whisk(e)y/scotch/bourbon and thinking about the past... especially the people.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by mlittrell View Post
    In what way? Example? You might be right. Personally I see the functions like a filter, or funnel. No matter what you do, each decision MUST filter through all the functions, but some make more of a difference then others.
    I suppose here is an example:

Healthy me: Ti: "This guy isn't making any sense. Look, see! That doesn't logically connect!" --(gets processed and is filtered)--> Fe: "I know it doesn't make sense, but maybe that's just how he feels about it. It wouldn't be very nice to criticise him like that. It's just his opinion after all." --(is filtered again)--> Ni: "Well if you look at it this way, it DOES make sense. He's just making some jumps."

Conclusion: I do not say anything, but keep listening and understand where the guy is coming from.

Unhealthy me or overcritical me: Ti: "Wtf. This doesn't make any sense. It's makes more sense to go from here to here to here. Why doesn't he see that?" --(is filtered)--> Fe: "It's just his opinion. But it isn't making sense, I agree. But let's not point it out." --(Ni is mysteriously absent and instead it goes back to Ti)--> Ti: "I don't care what you think! It's incorrect!" <--(on-going battle between the two)--> Fe: "No! You can't go around intellectually cutting people down like that. I don't want to argue with him."

Conclusion: Either I look incredibly frustrated because of the battle going on in my head, or Fe caves in to Ti's insistent demands and they both agree to tell the guy how wrong he is. At which point I adamantly try to explain everything wrong with the other person's train of thought throwing in both logical and moral fallacies.

Both are useful. Even being critical is useful, but it's very hard to control and do it without eventually getting huffy and overexcited. That's why I admire NTs and their ability to debate and discuss without getting all huffy about it.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Healthy Me: Daryl Zero (Zero Effect)
    Unhealthy Me: Ian Curtis on stage

YouTube - Joy Division - Ian Curtis - Transmission - Live !!! 1979

^ What function might that be?

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance
    This is a link to a single post I made in the other thread giving reasoning for the fact that all four functions must be used all the time.
    Hm, well, I honestly don't know. Maybe it's just different ways to understand the functions/preferences... I'll have to think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by mlittrell
    In what way? Example? You might be right. Personally I see the functions like a filter, or funnel. No matter what you do, each decision MUST filter through all the functions, but some make more of a difference then others.
    Sounds similar to dissonance's idea. I think of it more as the functions being exclusively used, much like Kyrielle (great example there! I totally recognize it), and I also recognize the "argument between the functions". What I meant with the arrows Dom --> Aux --> Ter was that it is ideal to use a function as being at the service of the above ones; Ni making use of Fe, Fe making use of Ti, in the case of an INFJ. (The fourth function would be different though.)

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Right, but you do not, in my case, use Te instead of Ne. I would use Ne, then Fe, then, if need be, I would dabble in Te...maybe even Si. Ne is how I perceive the world (take in information), Fi is how I make decisions (decide what to do with the information), and Te is my backup. To say I ignore my dominant and use my tertiary wouldn't make sense. Your example makes perfect sense btw I understand the arrow "notation".
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp
    Socionics
    LSI?

Tertiary Fi: I lose my decision-making ability and become paralyzed by other people's expectations/feelings. I worry about how that person will hate me, etc, if I do X, and lose a sense of what's and wrong.
    Si>Ti>Te>Ne>Fe>Ni>Fi>Se

Introverted (I) 60% Extroverted (E) 40%
    Sensing (S) 56.25% Intuitive (N) 43.75%
    Thinking (T) 61.29% Feeling (F) 38.71%
    Judging (J) 71.88% Perceiving (P) 28.13%

MBTI
    INTP

Si is what will make me a hermit if I'm not careful.

It is what will hold me up at work if I get seven easy jobs and one difficult one, I will labour over the difficult one while my easy jobs start piling up which will make them more difficult when I run out of time.

I have thought about how my own Ti interferes and makes me lose perspective. Some observations on what it does:

- It tries to understand my Ni vision, and incapable of doing so rejects it as being "illogical" or "not making sense"
    This is why I have trouble trusting Ni.
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Yes, Ni unchecked isn't that great. But then, neither is any function.

MBTI
    INFJ

This is why I have trouble trusting Ni.
    Yes, Ni unchecked isn't that great. But then, neither is any function.
    I think there is a point in having not more than one basic approach to life (Dominant function, that is), instead of some compromise between two or more. The Ti and Ni approach (for example) collide with each other and doesn't approve of the other. The question then is: Which one do you approve of? What is your approach? If we refuse to choose then we might not get anywhere with anything. One day we try to logically prove something through thorough analysis and argumentation, the next day we see through it all as being completely irrelevant and out of perspective. Mort Belfry, as an INTP you probably don't have to bother with Ni very much. For me, Ni is a holistic function whereas Ti is quite narrow. Your Ti probably works much better.

MBTI
    INFx

So, what has mean little Tertiary done to you? What is it doing right now? Share the pain.
    My tertiary function is Si, and this is a very "mysterious" function to me. During normal times I think I resort to this function when I'm engaged in my hobbies or some sort of creative and imaginative activity. I wonder if that is the general case -- that people often use their tertiary function for hobbies, art, etc. But in moments when I'm "in the grip", Si starts working with my inferior Te. Te naturally makes conclusions that opposes my dominant Fi values, and Si only gathers "evidence" to support this. During such times, I would be very paranoid and suspicious. I would notice all sorts of details and "clues" about a situation and other people, and based on these little clues I will make huge, sweeping conclusions and feel very certain that I must be right, that what I hold dear is at stake. I can create this whole entire scenario inside of my head and feel quite sure that it is the objective truth. Only when I get back to normal again do I realize that I've been blowing everything out of proportion, jumping to conclusions, and being completely one-sided in my perspective of the situation.