First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    567?
    Socionics
    ILE

Tertiary Fe...manifested negatively

Hmm, If I get stuck into a situation that for some reason I suddenly don't want to be in (if I feel trapped or whatever), I'll start sucking up really badly in a desperate effort to escape. Like when I quit my first job I made up some crap about doing a big school project and "I'm so sorry" and, etc, etc. I just become way too nice, even if the person I'm talking to doesn't logically deserve it.

I can also get paranoid about others intentions when I'm in an anxious mood. What did that look mean? Could that thing I said the other day be taken the wrong way? I'll imagine all sorts of negative responses others might have had to something I may have done or said and convince myself that this or that person might be mad at me next time I see them. Even though they aren't.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

There's actually quite a lot of research on the third/fourth function and stress. While nothing holds true for everyone, there are some patterns.

One, as Averex points out, the 4th function can trip us up. We don't use it well--overusing it brings on stress AND we can "erupt" and become a caricature of good use of the function when we're overstressed. So I as an Introverted INtuitive get stressed by paying attention to details AND if I'm overstressed can get obsessed with the details of reality--over or under eating, watching TV, exercising, etc. BUT using the 4th function also shuts down the dominant. Gives it a rest. For me that's playing piano (I'm not very good so all my attention goes to notes and hands and my INtuition grinds to a halt) or cooking or a good run.

Third function...consciously using it leads to balanced Perception or Judgment which often breaks through stress. If we aren't consciously using it it can slip in immaturely. People have more or less skill with it, depending on age, training, effort, will, etc.

Yes, we can all use all of the functions, but most of us don't do them all very well. Some people can't even use their first two very well. They act like adolescents--can't make up their minds or rush to conclusions. Using all the functions well is a lifelong journey toward wholeness and not everyone gets there.
    edcoaching

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ZiL View Post
    Tertiary Fe...manifested negatively

Hmm, If I get stuck into a situation that for some reason I suddenly don't want to be in (if I feel trapped or whatever), I'll start sucking up really badly in a desperate effort to escape. Like when I quit my first job I made up some crap about doing a big school project and "I'm so sorry" and, etc, etc. I just become way too nice, even if the person I'm talking to doesn't logically deserve it.

I can also get paranoid about others intentions when I'm in an anxious mood. What did that look mean? Could that thing I said the other day be taken the wrong way? I'll imagine all sorts of negative responses others might have had to something I may have done or said and convince myself that this or that person might be mad at me next time I see them. Even though they aren't.
    Kind of the reverse of my problem with Te. Thanks for the insight--kinda even explains part of the behavior of that ENTP I mentioned earlier...
    edcoaching

heart on fire

I've gone nuts at Christmas with the whole "create or recapture childhood experiences" thing through scents or sights.

Sweets, especially ice cream.

Getting lost in the scented candle shop.

To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP

Tertiary Te. When stressed, I usually get sort of bossy and push my opinions onto other people - everyone should be doing things my way, and I'm really bad at seeing other people's viewpoints. I also have a tendency to overuse a smug 'I told you so', when I end up getting my way. Usually at those points I'm not so pleasant to be around.
    ANFP:
    Extraversion (52%) ---- Introversion (48%)
    Sensing (26%) ---- iNtuition (74%)
    Thinking (16%) ---- Feeling (84%)
    Judging (5%) ---- Perceiving (95%)

9w1 so/sx/sp

Tertiary Si:
    I actually make use of it quite often, and to good effect.

However, somtimes I get very rigid about things being a certain way (Ti+Si), and no seeing how other says can be (Ne locked out).

At other times, I can go on autopilot, simply applying memorized techiniques over-and-over again to deal with situatioms, and though feeling stifled and uncreative, will continue to stay in my rut. --actually, this is a lot more comon.

Since both Si and Ti are introvrerted functions, I essentially issolate myself. My Si is extremely strong (as are my Ni and Fi).

The compined Ti+Ni+Si+Fi can be a trap where I feel partially fulfilled but not quite the same as I would be using Ti+Ne.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

With my tertiary Se (which in MBTI is one-on-one with the hidden agenda of socionics, but exclusively for extraverted types) I tend to simply engage in an excessive way in various physical pleasures such as excessive exercising, excessive partying and drinking, etc as a form of reality-escapism. This is also stadard E-7w8 behavior.
    Fortunately it doesn't happen frequently.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by sleepless View Post
    Tertiary Temptation is how we tend to fall back on the Tertiary function during stress (or whenever), thus losing the connection with our Dominant, which IMO isn't a very good idea. The Tertiary then often behaves in childish ways, as it has a very limited perspective, not at all like the Dominant's holistic view. It seems to me that the Tertiary should only work as a servant to the Dominant/Auxiliary, as a tool, not as something that inferes with the Dominant with its own childish agendas.

People of all types - how does this work for you? If you have any idea? What happens for example when an INP falls back on Si? I have thought about how my own Ti interferes and makes me lose perspective. Some observations on what it does:

- It is how I get caught up in analyzing for its own sake
    - It is how I get stuck in an argument about who is "right" and "wrong"
    - It tries to understand my Ni vision, and incapable of doing so rejects it as being "illogical" or "not making sense"
    - It is how I judge other people

So, what has mean little Tertiary done to you? What is it doing right now? Share the pain.

we never lose connection with our dominant. your tertiary, if used, filters through your auxilary, and then through your dominant.

and my tertiary has done me wonders. in some ways, my shadow has also.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

MBTI
    INFJ

we never lose connection with our dominant. your tertiary, if used, filters through your auxilary, and then through your dominant.
    This is exactly how I think it should be - Dominant --> Auxiliary --> Tertiary - but is is obvious that our Dominant isn't there all of the time, at least not for the average half-stable person.

(And I don't mean that it's always bad, neither the Tertiary or some shadow function.)

No INTJs so far. I was a bit curious to what they would say about their Fi, considering how utterly amoral some of them seem to be...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

This is exactly how I think it should be - Dominant --> Auxiliary --> Tertiary - but is is obvious that our Dominant isn't there all of the time, at least not for the average half-stable person.
    In what way? Example? You might be right. Personally I see the functions like a filter, or funnel. No matter what you do, each decision MUST filter through all the functions, but some make more of a difference then others.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1