User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

this is very interesting. not only the differences between N and S but the different brands of 'not being here and now'. it seems that a lot of people here are very directly future prone in their thinking. 'what to do next' is the question. i'm not sure i'm that future prone but i'm definitely 'away with the fairies'.

my thoughts tend to be about concepts, themes, hidden messages more than anything. if a watch a film, i'll be thinking about themes such as freedom. if i'm playing football with my friends, i'll thinking about what nfl teams do, the X's and O's, what the best strategy is etc. rather than just run and catch or whatever. if i'm walking down the street, i'm often thinking about fantasies, philosophy, the almost magical appearance of a certain view etc. to me my N takes me towards the conceptual side of N rather than the future side. most the time it's nothing about what i'll do either, i like dwelling in ideas, concepts for the sake of it. concepts energize me naturally so just because i came up with some amazing philosophical question, i'm not necessarily thinking "i'll publish this when i do my masters". could be an Ne thing. most of the replies here seem to be from IN's.

MBTI
    INFP

Probably one of my biggest traits/problems is being inactive because I'm too busy thinking about things.

MBTI
    INFP

You put words in my mouth, anime.

Someone once told me "Plan plans, not outcomes." That's been perfect for me and keeps me good and flexible while still prepared.

Then I can go back to watching an ant trying to carry a fly across the sidewalk and thinkng about the global significance of the mighty act.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

beyondaurora

For me, it's as though there is a thin, semi-opaque, white mist or veil in front of me - like a screen - that separates the colors behind it from being viewed vividly. I want to experience the present, but it has to be filtered through this veil first, so I usually 'experience' the present more fully after it has passed.

It's never crossed my mind that this way of viewing life is future-oriented, though.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Leysing View Post
    It's sometimes frustrating when I go out jogging or biking on a beautiful day in order to enjoy the scenery and the weather and then, while stepping inside again, I realize that I haven't seen anything and I have just been totally lost in my thoughts.
    I struggle with that too. I have to concentrate really hard to notice what's going on around me. And even then, I have an internal observer providing commentary/analysis. Sometimes taking a camera with me helps make me focus on the scenery around me.

I'm rarely in the present. The closest I get is a blur slightly before or slightly after the present moment, but I'm often looking back in to the past, either what happened during the day or the deeper past. I do a bit of future planning but it's more contingency planning rather than life goals. Most of the time, though, I'm inside my mental model of the world which sometimes feels more than the real world.
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    my thoughts tend to be about concepts, themes, hidden messages more than anything. if a watch a film, i'll be thinking about themes such as freedom...
    That's really interesting. When I watch a film I always experience it through my body. My physical reactions.
    A fight movie if it's a good one can make me almost shake with adrenaline.
    Really abstract movies like um... Vanilla Sky I'll feel the confusion of the situation etc...
    I know there is some biological basis for that happening. I can't remember where I read it though...

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Leysing View Post
    It's sometimes frustrating when I go out jogging or biking on a beautiful day in order to enjoy the scenery and the weather and then, while stepping inside again, I realize that I haven't seen anything and I have just been totally lost in my thoughts.
    See, the same thing happens to me all the time, but I'm lost in events that have been happening, events that have happened, things that I've heard about recently, maybe about where that would lead.

Maybe it's like the SPs' "living in the here and now," except all that stuff that you physically experience isn't acted upon at the moment. It's not ignored, but there's no immediate reaction to it, either. So it gets held in the head.

Generalizing, of course, and a little bit of guessing.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    For me it's like living in two worlds at once. My body does stuff in one world, while my mind thinks about things in the other (or sometimes my mind jumps from one world to the other and back). For example the other day a bunch of us actuaries were in a meeting discussing how to give thorough answers to test questions. All of these were technical insurance questions. Meanwhile my mind is thinking "What if a person had Tourette's syndrome, but it only affected them while they write?" Then I imagined myself answering the test questions while I had Tourette's of the hand, interspersing technical jargon with uncontrollable swearing. I tried my hardest not to sit there laughing to myself, because we were on conference call with about 30-40 people. After the meeting several people were commenting how boring the meeting was, while I was thinking how much I enjoyed myself.
    Aha. Nice.

garbage

It's kind of like you're on autopilot in the present moment, thinking instead about the future.

Ever daydreamed? It's a lot like that for me.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

It's exactly like being lost in a daydream, 24/7.