User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post

It's odd, I suppose. Some people go into their heads to escape from reality. But for me, when my head is too "messed up" I have to escape to reality.
    Me. Too.

It only just occurred to me as I read your post this is odd.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I envy SPs. I'm never present. I'm always projected back or forward. It's a struggle to be NOW.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    [I posted, happy Jeffster?]
    Yes.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    I envy SPs. I'm never present. I'm always projected back or forward. It's a struggle to be NOW.
    Even my conversations with imaginary people aren't in the here-and-now.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

The two examples I live with on a day to day basis are my son and my girlfriend.

My son - possible ENFP (tough to tell, he's only 6) This kid cannot exist in the current moment. He is constantly asking what we are going to be doing next, and no matter how exciting that thing is when we get there, he wants to know what's after that.

My girlfriend - INFJ She has the worst case of the "what ifs" I have ever seen. She plans for every possible contingency and outcome no matter how improbable it might be, never even really seeing the present moment.

I try not to badger them with my "live in the now" attitude, but it definitely gets tough sometimes. Fortunately for me I am not a huge risk taker or I could get into a lot of trouble. Consequences have always been of little consequence to me.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryPenguin View Post

My girlfriend - INFJ She has the worst case of the "what ifs" I have ever seen. She plans for every possible contingency and outcome no matter how improbable it might be, never even really seeing the present moment.
    Sometime I think the "what ifs" are anxiety-related, too. I'm very P, but if I have a bit of anxiety about something, I will imagine every single, horrible thing that could go wrong and try to anticipate a response to it.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    Very interesting inquiry Jeff, however I guess I am on a rant this week about SPs in general being stereotyped when it comes to Se. In particularly if Se is the secondary function, it may not be as accessible for ISPs without some conscious effort.

As a Ti type (and from what I understand about all types in developing their auxiliary), living in the moment is relative to how well the Se is developed. I think that some claiming to prefer intuition may develop their Se enough that they could live in the moment equally as well, if not better than again an ISP that does not have a developed Se. I recall reading somewhere years ago that introverted types will use their auxiliary in a defensive mode generally, thus ITJs have to consciously develop Te, INPs and Ne etc. But on the point of the latter mentioned, living in the moment is relative since Ne and Se can only be used actively in the moment. The only difference is concrete vs. abstract, taking advantage of immediate opportunities vs. seeing possibilities etc.
    Thanks for your contribution, and I think you're right. This probably explains why I was more of a "dreamer" as a kid, as that Se hadn't developed fully. I still felt much more "here and now" than my older brother, but I was definitely more oblivious to things around me than I am now when I was focused on my own creations rather than real-life obligations.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    Eh, I don't entirely buy that. You post a lot of times quickly in response to someone else, bantering back and forth with people. You seem to have a better ability to live in the moment than you give yourself credit for.

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryPenguin View Post

I try not to badger them with my "live in the now" attitude, but it definitely gets tough sometimes. Fortunately for me I am not a huge risk taker or I could get into a lot of trouble. Consequences have always been of little consequence to me.
    Heh. My INFJ co-worker is a "What if" Monster too! I think she has stopped being as much that way with me because I kept shooting her hypotheticals down so often, haha.

Meanwhile, my son seems to be the opposite of yours. He has even more trouble than me thinking about anything in the future, completely consumed with what he is doing NOW.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

I can definitely relate to this, sometimes I feel guilty about it. Like I'm the Cricket chilling out and playing, while the Ant toils away storing food for the winter and one day it's going to bite me on the arse and I will need to depend on someone who planned ahead much better.

The way I think is you can't change the past, it's done so why live there? and the future is unwritten, your best laid plans could easily backfire by the unpredictability of life. So living in the moment feels right, I can change and control what I'm doing right now with predictable results. If you are always looking at tomorrow then you'll never notice how great today is.

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I also tend to spend a lot of time in fantasyland. All the things I'd love to be able to do that would help if I'd spend time in the here and now, such as acting and playing guitar, etc., I can just imagine that I'm already good at it. And then reality is always disappointing, and it seems like I'll never reach the goals I've already seen myself reaching. My inner world is always my escape, and it's too easy to retreat there where everything is the way I like it.
    My thoughts run pretty close to what Tallulah mentioned. There's a lot of imagining myself in varying (usually exciting or non-normal interesting) situations or circumstances - and building stories or envisioning expertise at things that I'm really pretty new at. I often pick stuff up pretty fast, but seldom stick with them long enough to actually achieve the skills that I've imagined myself with, so it's often more fun to daydream. I'm primarily preoccupied most of the time - it's different when I'm with people chatting, etc., but I spend most time alone, and even in a group I tend to fade into the background and space out.

I've tried to do more "here and now" type things lately, but I find myself falling into mental-autopilot when I try. When I go hiking, for example, it'll go from an "enjoy nature" thing to a combination of daydreaming and challenging myself to see how quickly I can complete the hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Sometime I think the "what ifs" are anxiety-related, too. I'm very P, but if I have a bit of anxiety about something, I will imagine every single, horrible thing that could go wrong and try to anticipate a response to it.
    Too true . I'm particularly bad at this at work, or when I get down about something. I'll get all tied up in trying to anticipate *everything* that I can conceive - which usually turns into a fairly big (and quite stressful) waste of time.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Eh, I don't entirely buy that. You post a lot of times quickly in response to someone else, bantering back and forth with people. You seem to have a better ability to live in the moment than you give yourself credit for.
    Being that PP's post and mine were similar: I don't think you quite get it, just as I don't quite get what it is to be a Sensor. You can read about it, but you can't know.

Part of the reason I can come up with something to say so quickly is because my mind is everywhere at once.