User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Default I've Figured it Out: Distinguishing Someone as S or N

So my ISFJ mom and I were talking; she mentioned how someone had commented to her that my little bro (INFP) was sitting alone in the field at his school; should they be worried? She replied, "no"... anyway she was relating the story to me, my response was, "of course not, he's just daydreaming".

She looked at me blankly, and said, "no. i've done stuff like that too. Sometimes I just like to sit and listen to teh birds and look at the beautiful grass and enjoy the nice clouds..."

And I was like, "No. He was daydreaming".

And she responded, "No. You're brother's a deep thinker" We bickered; I knew I was right.
    I asked her how often she daydreamed. She replied "never". She asked me, I said "several times a day, often for long periods".
    ---

When I told my bro about this later, he laughed until he realized I was serious when she thought he never daydreamed. His response? "What does she think deep thinkers do?!"

Anyway.

So we asked my ESFJ sister; she daydreams "maybe once a month". My bro talked to three of his friends; two thought he was crazy for "having conversations in his head" and one could totally relate.

I think we've stumbled on the jackpot, guys. Just ask someone if they daydream, and if so, how often. There yah go. That's the divider!

(Although a very balanced S/N might not give a definitive answer, I suppose.)
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    type

Makes sense.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    INTJ

Hmmm. I'll try it later. I live with an S. I don't know if he daydreams, but he sure practices what he's going to say a lot. Out loud sometimes. Daydreaming. Interesting. (In a good way, Economica!)

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I've come to realize that shyness seems to have more of a connection with N types, regardless of an I/E preference. When you think of that, it does make sense, since an N's vivid imagination of what could happen could lead them to never act upon their desires. Obviously, N's also tend to be quite paranoid.

An dominant Ne, however, will be more gregarious in dealing with their shyness by maybe trying to impress the object of their affection in unusual or indirect ways, such as cutting themselves to seek attention or dressing in funky clothing.

I've never noticed any sort of shyness with Introverted Sensing types. With them, it seems that once they tried things out the first time, they're more confident in the future. Although they seem more reserved, there isn't really much that's abnormal in their expressions.

So shyness could actually be some indication of an S/N preference.

MBTI
    INTP

Nice work. I'll add it to my small list of type questions.

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
    Nice work. I'll add it to my small list of type questions.
    ...another Hooter's girl question!
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I think there's a Hooter's on Uranus!

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    She looked at me blankly, and said, "no. i've done stuff like that too. Sometimes I just like to sit and listen to teh birds and look at the beautiful grass and enjoy the nice clouds..."
    I actually wish I was more able to simply sit and take in the beauty of the world for more than just a passing moment, to just look and appreciate without my mind automatically going off on it's own...and I just can't. But I wish I could and I'm trying to be more mindful of my surroundings, to pay more attention (it actually is something I'm working on).

That aside, I also have an ISFJ mom and I know when I've told her I spend a lot of time in my head, she doesn't quite get what I mean, at least not the extent of it.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Anyway.

So we asked my ESFJ sister; she daydreams "maybe once a month". My bro talked to three of his friends; two thought he was crazy for "having conversations in his head" and one could totally relate.

I think we've stumbled on the jackpot, guys. Just ask someone if they daydream, and if so, how often. There yah go. That's the divider!

(Although a very balanced S/N might not give a definitive answer, I suppose.)
    Interesting. To show that age makes a difference with this, I had a similar conversation with my ESFJ mother not too long ago and I found out that she holds conversations in her head and will occassionally daydream. However, her version of the mental conversations are for far more practical purposes than my version...even her daydreams a little more realistic in nature. I've definitely noticed that in the past five years, she's become decidedly more open and understanding to how Ns think and behave. (My guess this is from observing and talking to my brother and I.)

MBTI
    INTJ

I don't know about shyness. One of the shiest people I know is an S. And I certainly am not shy

Any shy Ss out there?