User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Results 71 to 80 of 137

  1. #71
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post
    Driving can be weird while daydreaming. Sometimes I will arrive at my destination and have no memory of the trip. It's like I wasn't even there.
    My grandma thinks that's really dangerous.

  2. #72
    only bites when provoked
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    My grandma thinks that's really dangerous.
    I did this for about 1200 miles one night a few years ago. I popped back to reality for all four deer, two pedestrians, and canyon traffic. When I was "here" at some points it was more like a video game in my mind. I do long distance drives pretty easily... That one I averaged something like 105 MPH, if I recall correctly.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

    Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

  3. #73
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    Yeah, I know what you mean. I zone out and my body is put on auto pilot...though I don't currently drive.

    I just said "My grandma thinks that's really dangerous" because that's what grandmothers and old people think, in general.

    Though, ironically, it is the old people that are more more dangerous behind the wheel.

  4. #74
    On a mission Usehername's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lookin4theBestNU View Post
    What about intuitive types that don't read fiction at all? I consider fiction to be boring because it's a waste of time I could be spent learning something. I would say though if I did read fiction it would have to be something relationship-oriented dealing with struggles within the human nature/condition.
    I totally can relate. While I enjoy fiction, I can't bring myself to buy a fiction book unless it's by a personal fave author or something. Nonfiction just means so many more foundations to spring forth new ideas and worlds from!
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

  5. #75
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    When you really think about it, though, plastic concrete doesn't really make much sense...

    In a way that could be an N function, particularly Ni, because Ni tries to make sense of everything in their focus (i.e. they question "What's the point?"), never taking it at face value.
    The point is that I assumed that it's some kind of polymer that, although it is plastic, is as hard as concrete and hence has some of the properties on concrete and some of the properties of plastic.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  6. #76
    Fight For Freedom FFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9
    Posts
    691

    Default

    For a while, I didn't do much daydreaming (not counting sexual stuff), but was more into pondering ideas and theories and such like you'd expect for an INTP. Recently, I've been doing more daydreaming though.

  7. #77
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    23

    Default

    girlnamedBLESS, what do you daydream about?

    I have to admit, I don't buy this notion that Ss don't daydream. Some of them don't, but I think some of them do. I think SFJs probably daydream quite a bit about relationships and interactions. But if you ask an S if they daydream, they might have a negative association with it. So if a mother insists that her son NEVER daydreams, it's more likely she has a negative association with the word. Because why would someone be so sure about something like that? It's like when extroverts constantly tell me that I am really not an introvert, I know that they don't understand the word. It's always EPs who say this.

    As far as reading goes, I go through phases. Long periods of time when I'll read only non-fiction (mostly sociology, psychology, self-help, personality typology, opinion books like political books), and then long phases where I'll read only fiction (mostly fantasy, action thriller mysteries, and humorous looks at humanity). It's usually either one or the other, and I'm very discriminating about what I'll read.

    My brother has ESFJ preferences. He has great difficulty reading, he says he is too easily distracted. I think he may read one fiction book every few years. Mostly he acquires non-fiction books and takes a long time to read them. But the kind of non-fiction he reads is different from mine. Very practical and concrete, books like "Mastering Stock Options", "How To Win Friends and Influence People" and "Optimal Marketing". Also religious books. He takes all of these books seriously though, underlining and studying them. That's why it takes him so long to finish books and why he feels like he is easily distracted. He doesn't want to fantasize while reading as I like to, he wants to understand and apply exactly what he's reading.

    He also doesn't watch TV with the exception of "ER" and "Heroes", and it takes him a while to watch those off DVR. He spends more time cleaning and running errands than anything recreational, something I can't fathom. Work before Play? I say never! But my brother is constantly going to movies and renting movies. He doesn't do TV or books, but he loves movies.

  8. #78
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    I agree. I think everyone including Sensors daydream. Sensors are just probably less willing to admit it because they don't think it's something positive.

  9. #79
    Senior Member girlnamedbless's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LadyInWaiting View Post
    girlnamedBLESS, what do you daydream about?
    I daydream about corny stuff (falling in love). A lot of the times I daydream about weird stuff, like having the power to be invisible. Other times, I imagine what it would be like to live with no pain or suffering. Sometimes I wonder how certain things exist, such as the concept of "forever". So it definitely varies.
    I bet they'll put something in the air tonight, just to light your face.

  10. #80
    Senior Member substitute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dolphin View Post
    I actually wish I was more able to simply sit and take in the beauty of the world for more than just a passing moment, to just look and appreciate without my mind automatically going off on it's own...and I just can't. But I wish I could and I'm trying to be more mindful of my surroundings, to pay more attention (it actually is something I'm working on).

    That aside, I also have an ISFJ mom and I know when I've told her I spend a lot of time in my head, she doesn't quite get what I mean, at least not the extent of it.
    I relate to this. I've also been really working hard on 'becoming one' with my surroundings and engaging with the physical world (Se?), and also on actually remembering things, dwelling on things that've already happened and recalling the details to my mind (Si?). It seems that I'm immune to nostalgia, like the chip was never installed in me or something. I realised how extremely crap I was at this when I was away for a week without the kids, and at some point realised that six days had passed before I even recalled that I had any kids, and when I tried to think about them, I just couldn't recall their faces clearly in my mind. Also, when I went with my sister back to the house we lived in as kids, and she was pointing to things and laughing and exclaiming about how she remembers so clearly we used to play here, used to do this there, how that happened right over there, reliving the details and stuff - and I was just like, "Meh."

    I struggle to convince myself that I care about my kids and other people because of how easily I forget them when I'm away for just a few days. Makes me feel quite guilty... but I can't seem to help it - my mind just pulls me out of the past all the time and wants to fire all cylinders on conjecturing and playing with possible futures, based on what I'm currently perceiving.

    My mom is ESFJ, and I remember her saying to me when I was about 13, "You often see things that I wouldn't think to see, you make connections between things that other people wouldn't notice, but once you say it, it seems silly that we didn't see it before."

    I also remember her saying to me one day when we were on a long journey and she was driving, that she'd started reading 'spiritual' books (not serious philosophy or theology, just that populist stuff like von Danniken etc). She's always been an avid reader, but it was romance novels and generally that kind of thing. She started telling me about how amazing it was, how I just had to read these books, saying they were the most amazing thing ever because they actually kept her awake at night because her brain was buzzing too much to get to sleep. I rolled my eyes and thought, ha, at 52 years my mom's just discovered what my life's been like since I was 3!
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

    "When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-11-2017, 10:05 AM
  2. Please help type me. I can't figure it out at all
    By Kitcatkitcat in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-02-2016, 01:43 AM
  3. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 01-11-2014, 08:47 PM
  4. How do you figure out if someone is ENTP or ESTP?
    By KarenParker in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-04-2009, 03:30 PM
  5. [ISFP] The Deal With ISFPs...I figured it out...
    By Sunshine in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-11-2008, 01:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO