• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I've Figured it Out: Distinguishing Someone as S or N

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I do, however, think that Ns might prefer classical music because of what it tends to do with one's mind -- it's more abstract and requires a bit of personal interpretation. It more forcibly demands attention.

I think S types are more likely to sing along to songs because they're more in tune with what is more direct, but an N will probably be more appreciative of the overtones of music and the more background impressions, such as rhythm, tone, and melody, but not the actual words. They listen to music because it paints imagery in the mind, and requires more abstract, subjective interpretation.
That's interesting. I would have thought the opposite--that N's would be more interested in the lyrics because they make the song meaningful, whereas S's would be more interested in the melody and overall sound of the song itself.

I also would think Ss would like classical music more than Ns because it is all about experiencing pure music, without any distractions like words trying to tell you what the song "means".

Personally, the sound of the song is most important to me by far...meaningful lyrics can add to it if I'm in a mood for it, but I usually prefer instrumental pieces that are modern in origin but classical in style, because they are so beautiful to listen to. Or else something with a good beat/pleasing sound that I can sing/dance along to in my head.

The painting imagery in the mind thing, I'll give you that, cause I have no clue what you're talking about.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is strange. You are the only one to admit you do not listen to the words in a song or do not see the story in the movie.

That's why I like classical music, opera, and foreign rock music, because there's no need for close attention to detail. I'm more in tune with the "beat." And that's why one of my favorite movies is 2001: A Space Odyssey, because the movie isn't exactly a story that needs to be followed closely.

When I watch an action movie, I have to watch it more than once to fully grasp the story, because I'm not in tune with those kinds of details. I notice aesthetics of a film or anything else that catches my eye, but I'm not immediately into the concreteness of what's actually going on. I'm more interested in making my own interpretations of an image that caught my eye.

When I watch a movie, I tend to see a single image that leaves an impression on me, and then begin to drift off and weave a slate of my own ideas based on that single image. As a result, I tend to miss out on the rest of what's going on in front of me.

When I show a movie to my mom, she'll ask me "What's it about?" and the question annoys me, because I have a hard time describing what it's about.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
That's why I like classical music, opera, and foreign rock music, because there's no need for close attention to detail. I'm more in tune with the "beat." And that's why one of my favorite movies is 2001: A Space Odyssey, because the movie isn't exactly a story that needs to be followed closely.

When I watch an action movie, I have to watch it more than once to fully grasp the story, because I'm not in tune with those kinds of details. I notice aesthetics of a film or anything else that catches my eye, but I'm not immediately into the concreteness of what's actually going on. I'm more interested in making my own interpretations of an image that caught my eye.

When I watch a movie, I tend to see a single image that leaves an impression on me, and then begin to drift off and weave a slate of my own ideas based on that single image. As a result, I tend to miss out on the rest of what's going on in front of me.

When I show a movie to my mom, she'll ask me "What's it about?" and the question annoys me, because I have a hard time describing what it's about.
I never know anything either. Not about the lyrics of a song, not about a plot in a movie. A way too S for me.
I especially hated those movies based on Raymond Chandler's detective stories. It was all plot. There was nothing to see. I never had an inkling of the plot.
I prefer aesthetic movies where your mind can wander and you do not need to be confined in an S-thinking straightjacket.

I also liked the Space Odyssey. I like all the Kubrick films. They are not at all concentrated on plot or other garbage.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's interesting. I would have thought the opposite--that N's would be more interested in the lyrics because they make the song meaningful, whereas S's would be more interested in the melody and overall sound of the song itself.

I also would think Ss would like classical music more than Ns because it is all about experiencing pure music, without any distractions like words trying to tell you what the song "means".

Personally, the sound of the song is most important to me by far...meaningful lyrics can add to it if I'm in a mood for it, but I usually prefer instrumental pieces that are modern in origin but classical in style, because they are so beautiful to listen to. Or else something with a good beat/pleasing sound that I can sing/dance along to in my head.

The painting imagery in the mind thing, I'll give you that, cause I have no clue what you're talking about.

Well, listening to lyrics in songs does require close attention to and memorization of details. I'd think that is Si. And then understanding the meaning of the lyrics would require only basic interpretation, possibly through more inferior Ne. And most people I know do sing along to songs.

Instrumental tones in music also have meaning that isn't concrete meanings but more abstract and subjective meanings. And these kinds of sensations for me, at least, are the kinds that toy with the mind.

Sensors also understand meanings, but it's usually more based on common sense, and noticing factual meanings of lyrics -- noticing what was said and understanding what's going on around them.

Intuitives, especially Introverted Intuitives, I suspect, tend not to search for definite meanings but rather what something means to them; a subjective impression created in the imagination.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh my God, I'm such an idiot. I meant to post my last few posts about music in "Personality Types and Music."

How the hell did this happen?

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I don't think that a liking for mainstream music has much to do with S or N. I mean, after all, music is music. Mainstream bands are just the ones who got lucky.

I do, however, think that Ns might prefer classical music because of what it tends to do with one's mind -- it's more abstract and requires a bit of personal interpretation. It more forcibly demands attention.

I think S types are more likely to sing along to songs because they're more in tune with what is more direct, but an N will probably be more appreciative of the overtones of music and the more background impressions, such as rhythm, tone, and melody, but not the actual words. They listen to music because it paints imagery in the mind, and requires more abstract, subjective interpretation.

The same thing happens when I'm watching a movie. I tend not to fully concentrate on the story, but more on the aesthetic overtones such as how the scene is put together for purposes of stimulating my own imagination. I have less concern with what's happening directly and I have to watch a movie several times to understand it.

Again, I get this sort of experience with either mainstream or indie films. A film for me is a more operatic experience.

I tend to enjoy mainstream films even more because I am appreciative of big-budget special effects. The subtleties of a digital character and the way an action sequence is done stimulates my mind and makes a film seem more poetic, but again, I have to watch the film more than once to take notice of the story, which is a more direct and concrete aspect of the film.

Interesting what you're saying about the music...I actually concentrate on the lyrics of a piece. I find it fasinating to discover the ways people express themselves. I don't like overt lyrics that TELL me what the song is about. I like the abstract lyrics of someone like Bjork for instance. Lyrics that make me think. The music actually tends to be secondary (I suppose I should just read poetry) however when the music and the lyrics work together to create an experience...I could listen to a piece like that over and over and not tire of it.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm...maybe instrumental music is a little too abstract for some people.

Are people meaning to tell me that they don't see the story that is present in classical pieces, how the mood and different melodies of a piece could be telling a story?

It's funny how I think when people read poetry and try to interpret it, they consider it abstract. Really interpreting things is like looking for a definite meaning -- technically, that's Introverted Thinking. But classical music, on the other hand, tells tales that go beyond anything of definite meaning, and so it truly is abstract and requires more subjective comprehension.

For example, hearing a loud, bombastic classical piece could represent intensity and death. With those in mind, I can then use those elements to create an inner landscape -- in my mind, it works kinda like a movie, I'm creating an action sequence of some type in my mind loosely based on the music I'm hearing. I'll often play the piece again to make the imagery in my mind more coherent.

I dunno, am I having trouble expressing my perspective or am I the only one who thinks like this?

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Hmm...maybe instrumental music is a little too abstract for some people.

Are people meaning to tell me that they don't see the story that is present in classical pieces, how the mood and different melodies of a piece could be telling a story?

It's funny how I think when people read poetry and try to interpret it, they consider it abstract. Really interpreting things is like looking for a concrete meaning -- technically, that's Introverted Thinking. But classical music, on the other hand, tells tales that go beyond anything of definite meaning, and so it truly is abstract and requires more subjective comprehension.

For example, hearing a loud, bombastic classical piece could represent intensity and death. With those in mind, I can then use those elements to create an inner landscape -- in my mind, it works kinda like a movie, I'm creating an action sequence of some type in my mind loosely based on the music I'm hearing. I'll often play the piece again to make the imagery in my mind more coherent.

I dunno, am I having trouble expressing my perspective or am I the only one who thinks like this?

Hmmm interesting and I understand what you're saying. I think interpreting the lyrics...that's not quite what I meant. I suppose I should have said examining the lyrics and determining what they mean to me...Ne perhaps? I agree with what you've said about classical music in fact an INTP just yesterday told me that he didn't like a particular classical piece because it was so bombastic and blah blah...I replied that I like it because it was so full of emotion and it made me create stories in my mind.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmmm interesting and I understand what you're saying. I think interpreting the lyrics...that's not quite what I meant. I suppose I should have said examining the lyrics and determining what they mean to me...Ne perhaps? I agree with what you've said about classical music in fact an INTP just yesterday told me that he didn't like a particular classical piece because it was so bombastic and blah blah...I replied that I like it because it was so full of emotion and it made me create stories in my mind.

I was think more in terms of Ni, actually, because it's directed inward. But now I see what you're saying. I guess it could spark Ne functioning, too, since Ne's desire is to create based on internal conceptions.

Sensors, though, are probably more in tune with what the words are and so are better at singing along to songs.

Si types could probably also enjoy classical music, but more for its beauty and peaceful quality. But with an Intuitive type, aesthetics are not admired for the aesthetic themselves, but for the imaginative possibilities that are inspired based on the observation.

Caffiend

MBTI Type
iNxj
Here is how you can narrow down the search by four types: sensors reflexively touch computer screens as part of an explanation, and this drives judging intuitives crazy.

I've never had a problem with this
Actually, when explaining something on the computer, I tend to touch the screen quite often.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have a thought:

Se is the one who has a flamboyant intensity. They may or may not use their intensity for making an impact, and they don't always have the same ability to notice vivid details as Si. But as Extraverts, they enjoy breadth of experience, making them good athletes because their inferior Ni function gives them good instincts; knowing which move to make. This trait also guides them to be effective in performing and could give them a vanity streak. Corresponds with Fire.

Si is the one who will appear spaced in, focusing on something in the environment. It is also past, present, and future-oriented. It zeros in on all the details in the environment. You could find Si staring at something that they miss out on the other things that are happening around them. So they, too, have the same problem of Ni of not noticing things beyond their current concentration.

When they are not concentrating on anything in particular, they absorb information that's around them, but unlike Ns, they are not looking for definite opportunities, but merely taking things in. Hence, this type is quite absorbent, able to take in anything from the environment. They are not a store house of just information that interests them or stimulates their mind like Ni, they are a store house of all information. This is why Si's tend to do well in school; they memorize everything in detail that is taught, which does them well when taking tests.

Their past orientation leads them to readily remember all kinds of detailed information based on the matter at hand. Their present orientation allows them an uncanny ability to notice details in the here-and-now. And with an inferior Ne function, they notice what needs to be fixed -- hence, this quality gives them good spatial abilities. And their future orientation allows them to be prepared. Corresponds with Earth.

Ne is the idea person. They may notice details in the environment like Si (and they do have an inferior Si function), but usually not to directly improve (fix) what is in the here-and-now, but details in the environments serves as inspiration, making this type adept at noticing long-range opportunities. They often may appear scattered and superficial, but are usually witty and funny. To the Ne, no idea is too ridiculous to entertain.

This type could also be good at telling stories. For this reason, s(he) could also look to the past using his/her inferior Si function to remember details they've witnessed and put their own spin on things. This could make them into successful salesmen or pathological liars. Corresponds with Air.

Ni is the one who will appear spaced out and not focusing on anything in particular. They are either past, present, or future-oriented. They will look to the past not for any concrete matter at hand, but more to muse upon it maybe relive an experience or explore other musings.

I think past-orientation has more to do with Intuition, because Intuition isn't concrete or abstract per se. Ni will look at their past, present, or future from a more mystical point of view.

A past-oriented Ni will remember something funny, and you might find him/her laughing for no apparent reason. A present-oriented Ni will probably be adept at imagining other people's motivations and seeing things from their perspective. A future/fantasy-oriented Ni will probably end up playing their own creative games.

Ni has an underdeveloped Se function, which could make them prone to mindless physical activity and obsessive compulsions. The same inferior Se function also makes them appear to have ritualistic body movements, such as hand-flapping. Underdeveloped Se also gives them poor motor skills. Corresponds with Water.

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
My ISFJ wife reads only technical books and journals regarding her profession. She does not read fiction of any type ... either concrete or abstract. She prefers non-fiction television shows like Forensic Files, Court TV, and legal shows.

Your wife sounds a lot like my ISFJ mom, she's crazy about CSI, Law & Order, the various crime investigation shows on A&E, etc.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think we've stumbled on the jackpot, guys. Just ask someone if they daydream, and if so, how often. There yah go. That's the divider!

(Although a very balanced S/N might not give a definitive answer, I suppose.)
I suspect there is something to this, but it's just important to keep in mind it is a matter of degree. It might also help to come up with a variety of words related to imagination, since 'daydreaming' can specific connotations that even some iNtuitives may reject.

Some considerations: if most of the population are Sensors and the fantasy world of Hollywood is such a booming business, then it stands to reason that all types enjoy a little make-believe of sorts. Also, children do a great deal of make-believe. There may be more tendency for an N to engage in fantasy in their minds while the S acts it out? Not sure on that one.

To give another example, i know a woman who is an extremely strong ESFJ. When she catches up in her diary she will ask everyone what we ate for each meal, what we did each day. It gives the impression that she uses the concept of a diary to record events rather than personal thoughts. She is always doing and has little concept of daydreaming. However, even she in her years gone by used to make up wondrous imaginary tales to tell her younger siblings. In that case, imagination served a practical function to help the children calm down and sleep. I find very often with Sensors that they have these wonderful, hidden places of whimsy that they suppress for the more practical aspects of life. My aunt is the same way. I'm guessing she is an ISTJ, maybe ISXJ. She has no tolerance for nonsense, and is extremely practical and hard-working. When i went to visit her she was intrigued by the way I relate to the world and insisted I read Anne of Green Gables. She is another person completely without whimsy, and yet, she had majored in Literature many years ago. I find that Sensors tend to relate to fantasy as an intrigued observer rather than participant in much the same way an iNtuitive observes, but doesn't engage, the concrete world.

So just as your brother can certainly enjoy the clouds, the breeze, and the sunshine with his senses, so can a Sensor use their minds to invent and abstract. Otherwise Sensing would be a subcategory of what an iNtuitive can process, and that would imply a failed system of personality imo. It's more about strengths and preferences.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
My ISFJ girlfriend daydreams...about me of course. My ISFJ mother daydreams too, although I don't really question her about what's about - none of my business! My ISTP brother too and so my ISTP friend; but personally I only day-dream when:

- I'm sad
- I'm studying (and bored) (I only daydream about sex)

Anyway IMHO introversion=daydreaming.

About music, I have some observations on the S vs N of people I have danced with:

Ns tend to have a much better, precise rythm. Especially Ni N's, especially INFPs. They sometimes do not have enough bodily control if they don't have exercised when young; however if they have the bodily control they easily become very impressive dancers.

Ss are generally somewhat better at handling their body, especially ESxx', but they get struck in repetitive patterns sometimes, and ESxjs are very bad with rythm - it's very hard for them to understand how to move rythmically, even if they have good coordination.

dorkilicious

MBTI Type
INTP
Is this for real? This is completely mind-blowing. I would have thought that daydreaming was the main thing that separates a human from a machine. How can a creature be sentient without daydreaming? I don't get it. What goes on in their head all day? They just make grocery lists in their head and nothing else for their whole life? I can't fathom this.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is this for real? This is completely mind-blowing. I would have thought that daydreaming was the main thing that separates a human from a machine. How can a creature be sentient without daydreaming? I don't get it. What goes on in their head all day? They just make grocery lists in their head and nothing else for their whole life? I can't fathom this.

Yes, we do all daydream, just like we can all sense what's right in front of us. The question is what we're all aware of. I would suspect a Sensor might forget s(he) was daydreaming because that's not something the Sensor prioritizes very highly. The Intuitive, on the other hand, will likely put more value into their daydreams and acknowledge them more often.

It's not that the Sensor is pragmatic and the Intuitive is creative, but it's more about what the individual seeks. The Sensor seeks pragmatism, the Intuitive seeks creativity. Both types can become innovators in their own way, but it's the Intuitive that consciously tries to be creative and original.

Also know that when it comes to type, originality is subjective. An Intuitive that comes up with what he perceives as a unique idea may not be unique to the world, but it's the desire to be unconventional that separates the Intuitive from the Sensor. Likewise, the Sensor can do things a different way that do change the world, but the Sensor doesn't start with the bleeding desire to make a new approach unless it's directly useful.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Yes, we do all daydream, just like we can all sense what's right in front of us. The question is what we're all aware of. I would suspect a Sensor might forget s(he) was daydreaming because that's not something the Sensor prioritizes very highly. The Intuitive, on the other hand, will likely put more value into their daydreams and acknowledge them more often.

It's not that the Sensor is pragmatic and the Intuitive is creative, but it's more about what the individual seeks. The Sensor seeks pragmatism, the Intuitive seeks creativity. Both types can become innovators in their own way, but it's the Intuitive that consciously tries to be creative and original.

Also know that when it comes to type, originality is subjective. An Intuitive that comes up with what he perceives as a unique idea may not be unique to the world, but it's the desire to be unconventional that separates the Intuitive from the Sensor. Likewise, the Sensor can do things a different way that do change the world, but the Sensor doesn't start with the bleeding desire to make a new approach unless it's directly useful.

I kind of doubt this to be true, really. Just think about all those sensing artists.

Vicki

MBTI Type
????
I'm a balanced S/N.
I put the INFP profile because it fits me best

Sahara

MBTI Type
INFP
My ESFJ friend daydreams, we often do it together lol you can see us zoned out just relaxing with each other, minds wandering.

Hers are a touch more realistic as mine are totally unreal most of the time, hers can still be far out there though.

Maybe asking if they daydream involves an actual discussion to determine what type of daydreams, as daydreaming is too broad a term.

I found it interesting that alot of sfj's like concrete fiction, I try real hard to get her to read complete fantasy yet she prefers ones with some kind of historical slant to it in order to make it more believable, wheras I can believe the fantasy no matter how far out and really enjoy the book regardless.