First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Shimpei View Post
    Edit: to Xander - I don't like science-fiction at all except those based in the past.
    Thanks Shimpei.

My mother only really had love for period novels like Far from the Madding Crowd etc. The other possible ISFJ I know (it's in heated debate) does read fantasy but nothing new. She's quite stubborn about not liking anything new. Her first love in Vampire stuff was Buffy and so now even Bram Stoker get's labelled as a knock off. She is quite odd in that respect though.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTJ

How neat. I have an ISFJ friend who introduced me to period fantasy (Outlander Series) who's aslo a huge Buffy fan. Small world.

I adore all kinds of scifi / fantasy.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Aha!

Sorry just realised the pattern I'd missed.

Fantasy/ Sci Fi in all forms is all about what ifs really. Well what if's are more N than S no? Ergo you should find more N fans of this stuff than S. Of course there will be some S fans still, that really doesn't help does it

Oh well one step closer.

Hmm perhaps S/N is more in the why than the what?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I would think S types would just as easily enjoy reading fiction as watching TV. I can also see an Si enjoy reading a book as opposed to watching TV, since it's internal in focus.

Likewise, I can see an Ne enjoy watching TV as opposed to reading.

The difference is that the S will probably read for its entertainment value while the N will read to indulge in a fantasy world -- they're more likely on the lookout for inspiration.

And yes, I actually do see Introverted Sensors read fiction quite often, but they'll probably be more light-hearted about the content.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Focus on what is there vs. what could be. As I look at what my mother tends to do over the course of a day, it becomes obvious that she doesn't think in terms of what could be, only what is and does things with little-to-no foresight. It's just tossed together and done and "look what I did!".

Be afraid when she starts trying to create new food, too. If it's not something she has done before, the results can be quite frightening, unpalatable, or worse. I could see this as a lack of N.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    INTP

My ISFJ wife reads only technical books and journals regarding her profession. She does not read fiction of any type ... either concrete or abstract. She prefers non-fiction television shows like Forensic Files, Court TV, and legal shows. My ISTJ mother reads concrete fiction and non-fiction books ... nothing abstract though. She also prefers non-fiction shows on television, with the exception of Westerns. I'm a huge sci-fi fan and love both reading it and watching it on television.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Be afraid when she starts trying to create new food, too. If it's not something she has done before, the results can be quite frightening, unpalatable, or worse. I could see this as a lack of N.
    Oh god don't remind me. The slightly altered recipes my mother came up with were delicious but the orange rice fiasco... no.

MBTI
    yupp

When my brother and I our together he wants to talk he wants to do stuff, he's always fixing things and taking things apart. defiently an S type. I think though he does have a strong N as well. He's preferences our more towards the physical he wants to become an interior decorator, he already knows how to fix houses. His plan is to fix houses sale them then decorate them for the buyers for more money, while I just want to sit and reflect on things, there's been times where he's asked me what was wrong, and I said I was thinking. He commented on I should be smiling while thinking, or else people would think I was upset. He then went on to say he didn't understand why it was so hard to smile while in deep thought. He's good at decorating btw and fixing things. He bought a 1950's truck and when we were down their for his graduation, he didn't want to go out with anyone. All he wanted to was fix up his truck.

I don't know if he days dreams or not, I know he's really smart and thinks alot. I'm also bad at typing people, and he's lived at least 6 hours aways for the last 4 years, and I see him about twice a year.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
    My ISFJ wife reads only technical books and journals regarding her profession. She does not read fiction of any type ... either concrete or abstract. She prefers non-fiction television shows like Forensic Files, Court TV, and legal shows. My ISTJ mother reads concrete fiction and non-fiction books ... nothing abstract though. She also prefers non-fiction shows on television, with the exception of Westerns. I'm a huge sci-fi fan and love both reading it and watching it on television.
    How do you tell concrete from abstract fiction? I thought all fiction was abstract since it was imaginary.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    How do you tell concrete from abstract fiction? I thought all fiction was abstract since it was imaginary.
    Depends on how fine grain your definitions are.

Concrete fiction is stuff like most period drama books. It could have happened without our concept of the world changing. Abstract books like Star Trek novels assume thing which radically alter the world.