User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

Results 101 to 110 of 137

  1. #101
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I do, however, think that Ns might prefer classical music because of what it tends to do with one's mind -- it's more abstract and requires a bit of personal interpretation. It more forcibly demands attention.

    I think S types are more likely to sing along to songs because they're more in tune with what is more direct, but an N will probably be more appreciative of the overtones of music and the more background impressions, such as rhythm, tone, and melody, but not the actual words. They listen to music because it paints imagery in the mind, and requires more abstract, subjective interpretation.
    That's interesting. I would have thought the opposite--that N's would be more interested in the lyrics because they make the song meaningful, whereas S's would be more interested in the melody and overall sound of the song itself.

    I also would think Ss would like classical music more than Ns because it is all about experiencing pure music, without any distractions like words trying to tell you what the song "means".

    Personally, the sound of the song is most important to me by far...meaningful lyrics can add to it if I'm in a mood for it, but I usually prefer instrumental pieces that are modern in origin but classical in style, because they are so beautiful to listen to. Or else something with a good beat/pleasing sound that I can sing/dance along to in my head.

    The painting imagery in the mind thing, I'll give you that, cause I have no clue what you're talking about.

  2. #102
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    This is strange. You are the only one to admit you do not listen to the words in a song or do not see the story in the movie.
    That's why I like classical music, opera, and foreign rock music, because there's no need for close attention to detail. I'm more in tune with the "beat." And that's why one of my favorite movies is 2001: A Space Odyssey, because the movie isn't exactly a story that needs to be followed closely.

    When I watch an action movie, I have to watch it more than once to fully grasp the story, because I'm not in tune with those kinds of details. I notice aesthetics of a film or anything else that catches my eye, but I'm not immediately into the concreteness of what's actually going on. I'm more interested in making my own interpretations of an image that caught my eye.

    When I watch a movie, I tend to see a single image that leaves an impression on me, and then begin to drift off and weave a slate of my own ideas based on that single image. As a result, I tend to miss out on the rest of what's going on in front of me.

    When I show a movie to my mom, she'll ask me "What's it about?" and the question annoys me, because I have a hard time describing what it's about.

  3. #103
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    That's why I like classical music, opera, and foreign rock music, because there's no need for close attention to detail. I'm more in tune with the "beat." And that's why one of my favorite movies is 2001: A Space Odyssey, because the movie isn't exactly a story that needs to be followed closely.

    When I watch an action movie, I have to watch it more than once to fully grasp the story, because I'm not in tune with those kinds of details. I notice aesthetics of a film or anything else that catches my eye, but I'm not immediately into the concreteness of what's actually going on. I'm more interested in making my own interpretations of an image that caught my eye.

    When I watch a movie, I tend to see a single image that leaves an impression on me, and then begin to drift off and weave a slate of my own ideas based on that single image. As a result, I tend to miss out on the rest of what's going on in front of me.

    When I show a movie to my mom, she'll ask me "What's it about?" and the question annoys me, because I have a hard time describing what it's about.
    I never know anything either. Not about the lyrics of a song, not about a plot in a movie. A way too S for me.
    I especially hated those movies based on Raymond Chandler's detective stories. It was all plot. There was nothing to see. I never had an inkling of the plot.
    I prefer aesthetic movies where your mind can wander and you do not need to be confined in an S-thinking straightjacket.

    I also liked the Space Odyssey. I like all the Kubrick films. They are not at all concentrated on plot or other garbage.

  4. #104
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    That's interesting. I would have thought the opposite--that N's would be more interested in the lyrics because they make the song meaningful, whereas S's would be more interested in the melody and overall sound of the song itself.

    I also would think Ss would like classical music more than Ns because it is all about experiencing pure music, without any distractions like words trying to tell you what the song "means".

    Personally, the sound of the song is most important to me by far...meaningful lyrics can add to it if I'm in a mood for it, but I usually prefer instrumental pieces that are modern in origin but classical in style, because they are so beautiful to listen to. Or else something with a good beat/pleasing sound that I can sing/dance along to in my head.

    The painting imagery in the mind thing, I'll give you that, cause I have no clue what you're talking about.
    Well, listening to lyrics in songs does require close attention to and memorization of details. I'd think that is Si. And then understanding the meaning of the lyrics would require only basic interpretation, possibly through more inferior Ne. And most people I know do sing along to songs.

    Instrumental tones in music also have meaning that isn't concrete meanings but more abstract and subjective meanings. And these kinds of sensations for me, at least, are the kinds that toy with the mind.

    Sensors also understand meanings, but it's usually more based on common sense, and noticing factual meanings of lyrics -- noticing what was said and understanding what's going on around them.

    Intuitives, especially Introverted Intuitives, I suspect, tend not to search for definite meanings but rather what something means to them; a subjective impression created in the imagination.

  5. #105
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    Oh my God, I'm such an idiot. I meant to post my last few posts about music in "Personality Types and Music."

    How the hell did this happen?

  6. #106
    Senior Member Littlelostnf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    644

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I don't think that a liking for mainstream music has much to do with S or N. I mean, after all, music is music. Mainstream bands are just the ones who got lucky.

    I do, however, think that Ns might prefer classical music because of what it tends to do with one's mind -- it's more abstract and requires a bit of personal interpretation. It more forcibly demands attention.

    I think S types are more likely to sing along to songs because they're more in tune with what is more direct, but an N will probably be more appreciative of the overtones of music and the more background impressions, such as rhythm, tone, and melody, but not the actual words. They listen to music because it paints imagery in the mind, and requires more abstract, subjective interpretation.

    The same thing happens when I'm watching a movie. I tend not to fully concentrate on the story, but more on the aesthetic overtones such as how the scene is put together for purposes of stimulating my own imagination. I have less concern with what's happening directly and I have to watch a movie several times to understand it.

    Again, I get this sort of experience with either mainstream or indie films. A film for me is a more operatic experience.

    I tend to enjoy mainstream films even more because I am appreciative of big-budget special effects. The subtleties of a digital character and the way an action sequence is done stimulates my mind and makes a film seem more poetic, but again, I have to watch the film more than once to take notice of the story, which is a more direct and concrete aspect of the film.
    Interesting what you're saying about the music...I actually concentrate on the lyrics of a piece. I find it fasinating to discover the ways people express themselves. I don't like overt lyrics that TELL me what the song is about. I like the abstract lyrics of someone like Bjork for instance. Lyrics that make me think. The music actually tends to be secondary (I suppose I should just read poetry) however when the music and the lyrics work together to create an experience...I could listen to a piece like that over and over and not tire of it.
    for my life is slowed up by thought and the need to understand what I am living.

  7. #107
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    Hmm...maybe instrumental music is a little too abstract for some people.

    Are people meaning to tell me that they don't see the story that is present in classical pieces, how the mood and different melodies of a piece could be telling a story?

    It's funny how I think when people read poetry and try to interpret it, they consider it abstract. Really interpreting things is like looking for a definite meaning -- technically, that's Introverted Thinking. But classical music, on the other hand, tells tales that go beyond anything of definite meaning, and so it truly is abstract and requires more subjective comprehension.

    For example, hearing a loud, bombastic classical piece could represent intensity and death. With those in mind, I can then use those elements to create an inner landscape -- in my mind, it works kinda like a movie, I'm creating an action sequence of some type in my mind loosely based on the music I'm hearing. I'll often play the piece again to make the imagery in my mind more coherent.

    I dunno, am I having trouble expressing my perspective or am I the only one who thinks like this?

  8. #108
    Senior Member Littlelostnf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    644

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Hmm...maybe instrumental music is a little too abstract for some people.

    Are people meaning to tell me that they don't see the story that is present in classical pieces, how the mood and different melodies of a piece could be telling a story?

    It's funny how I think when people read poetry and try to interpret it, they consider it abstract. Really interpreting things is like looking for a concrete meaning -- technically, that's Introverted Thinking. But classical music, on the other hand, tells tales that go beyond anything of definite meaning, and so it truly is abstract and requires more subjective comprehension.

    For example, hearing a loud, bombastic classical piece could represent intensity and death. With those in mind, I can then use those elements to create an inner landscape -- in my mind, it works kinda like a movie, I'm creating an action sequence of some type in my mind loosely based on the music I'm hearing. I'll often play the piece again to make the imagery in my mind more coherent.

    I dunno, am I having trouble expressing my perspective or am I the only one who thinks like this?
    Hmmm interesting and I understand what you're saying. I think interpreting the lyrics...that's not quite what I meant. I suppose I should have said examining the lyrics and determining what they mean to me...Ne perhaps? I agree with what you've said about classical music in fact an INTP just yesterday told me that he didn't like a particular classical piece because it was so bombastic and blah blah...I replied that I like it because it was so full of emotion and it made me create stories in my mind.
    for my life is slowed up by thought and the need to understand what I am living.

  9. #109
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelostnf View Post
    Hmmm interesting and I understand what you're saying. I think interpreting the lyrics...that's not quite what I meant. I suppose I should have said examining the lyrics and determining what they mean to me...Ne perhaps? I agree with what you've said about classical music in fact an INTP just yesterday told me that he didn't like a particular classical piece because it was so bombastic and blah blah...I replied that I like it because it was so full of emotion and it made me create stories in my mind.
    I was think more in terms of Ni, actually, because it's directed inward. But now I see what you're saying. I guess it could spark Ne functioning, too, since Ne's desire is to create based on internal conceptions.

    Sensors, though, are probably more in tune with what the words are and so are better at singing along to songs.

    Si types could probably also enjoy classical music, but more for its beauty and peaceful quality. But with an Intuitive type, aesthetics are not admired for the aesthetic themselves, but for the imaginative possibilities that are inspired based on the observation.

  10. #110
    Junior Member Caffiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    iNxj
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    Here is how you can narrow down the search by four types: sensors reflexively touch computer screens as part of an explanation, and this drives judging intuitives crazy.
    I've never had a problem with this
    Actually, when explaining something on the computer, I tend to touch the screen quite often.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-11-2017, 10:05 AM
  2. Please help type me. I can't figure it out at all
    By Kitcatkitcat in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-02-2016, 01:43 AM
  3. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 01-11-2014, 08:47 PM
  4. How do you figure out if someone is ENTP or ESTP?
    By KarenParker in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-04-2009, 03:30 PM
  5. [ISFP] The Deal With ISFPs...I figured it out...
    By Sunshine in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-11-2008, 01:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO