User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 11

  1. #1
    Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Posts
    951

    Default Exactly the same type.

    Two people with the same type and same % for each function would they behave in the same way? Cultural upbringing and experiences aside.

  2. #2
    now! in shell form INA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    intp
    Posts
    3,198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
    Two people with the same type and same % for each function would they behave in the same way? Cultural upbringing and experiences aside.
    That is a massive aside. And, for that reason, I'd guess no.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

  3. #3
    Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Posts
    951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IF3157 View Post
    That is a massive aside. And, for that reason, I'd guess no.
    I don't think it is in ref to the OP.

    I've noticed how two people with the same type can be very different. I know an ENTP who is nothing like DR Cox on Scrubs (bare with me), I put it down to the ENTP I know having stonger N and P. Whereas DR Cox is very strong E and T. If they were the same though... The importance of your functions is obvious but further still, is the degrees of each one.

  4. #4
    now! in shell form INA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    intp
    Posts
    3,198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
    I've noticed how two people with the same type can be very different. I know an ENTP who is nothing like DR Cox on Scrubs (bare with me), I put it down to the ENTP I know having stonger N and P. Whereas DR Cox is very strong E and T. If they were the same though... The importance of your functions is obvious but further still, is the degrees of each one.
    I am not familiar with the scrubs characters, but I am guessing that even with the same strengths behind each letter, cultural factors will exert some influence on their expression, so that the behavior you view will not be "equal".

    . . . Or did you mean a hypo with two people who have the same culture, upbringing and experiences?
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

  5. #5
    Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Posts
    951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IF3157 View Post
    I am not familiar with the scrubs characters, but I am guessing that even with the same strengths behind each letter, cultural factors will exert some influence on their expression, so that the behavior you view will not be "equal".

    . . . Or did you mean a hypo with two people who have the same culture, upbringing and experiences?
    I don't have a solid question in mind. Only I know some people of the same type that are very similar and others that aren't. Surely it must be to do with the percentage of functions. Or maybe it is something else.

  6. #6
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
    Two people with the same type and same % for each function would they behave in the same way? Cultural upbringing and experiences aside.
    No they would not. Introverted functions take the "internal standard" as a premise; in other words, my Ni would start with completely different premises than someone else's.

    Likewise, extroverted functions take the "extroverted standard" as a premise. This is what a person considers tangible information. But we all have different ways we view the world, just in terms of senses. Additionally, introverted functions put limits on how we view the external world.

    Now, philosophically, if two people literally had the same flow of external data and the same internal standard (like, they had the exact same physical body), then they would behave in exactly the same way. But it's kind of a moot point.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    Now, philosophically, if two people literally had the same flow of external data and the same internal standard (like, they had the exact same physical body), then they would behave in exactly the same way. But it's kind of a moot point.
    Identical twins can have a lot of funny stuff like that going on. Even if they're raised separately...But that's another thread for another day.

  8. #8
    Senior Member edcoaching's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    752

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
    Two people with the same type and same % for each function would they behave in the same way? Cultural upbringing and experiences aside.
    You mean % scores on an instrument they used to determine their type? On the real MBTI (that thing you actually have to pay for) the scores mean nothing other than how clear you were on whether that's your preference. A 100% Extravert is just very clear that they're an extravert, and actually no more of one than a 10%...weird concept if you're used to diagnostics or college test scores but that's the official meaning...
    edcoaching

  9. #9
    Doesn't Read Your Posts Haight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTj
    Posts
    6,243

    Default

    I think he/she/it is referring to cognitive processes tests.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

  10. #10
    Senior Member Ilah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    274

    Default

    I would say no because I don't think the MBTI function show everything there is about a person's personality. To list just a few examples: It doesn't tell you how well adjusted a person is. It doesn't tell you how creative or artistic a person is. It doesn't say if a person is religious/spritual. It doesn't tell you their political views. It doesn't say what your taste in music or reading is.

Similar Threads

  1. people that you relate to who don't share the same type as you
    By Chanaynay in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-15-2013, 02:17 PM
  2. Differences in people with the same type?
    By Alternative Solution in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 06-02-2010, 04:09 AM
  3. old big red commericial and new verizon commercial exactly the same
    By prplchknz in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-05-2010, 04:13 PM
  4. Poster of the same type that you relate with the most
    By SpottingTrains in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 184
    Last Post: 07-09-2009, 08:44 PM
  5. Males and females of the same type- differences?
    By BlackCat in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-09-2009, 05:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO