• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How well do you fit one of the 16 types?

How well do you fit one of the 16 types?

• I know my type and it fits me very well.

Votes: 31 54.4%
  • I am not sure: Sometimes I suspect I might not fit into any of the types.

Votes: 18 31.6%
  • I feel I don't fit any of the type descriptions.

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • I feel I don't fit because my top two function are not one of the 16 allowed combinations.

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 5.3%

• Total voters

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In my subjective experience, I don't feel I fit any of the types well. However, outside observers all tell me I fit INFJ well, so I've kind of decided mbti is more useful for outsiders wanting to label other people as they see them, than it is for myself wanting to label myself. So in terms of how I come across to others, sure, I guess INFJ fits me best. But personally I have a hard time seeing Fe being my dominant in terms of decision-making. Amongst other things.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
In my subjective experience, I don't feel I fit any of the types well. However, outside observers all tell me I fit INFJ well, so I've kind of decided mbti is more useful for outsiders wanting to label other people as they see them, than it is for myself wanting to label myself. So in terms of how I come across to others, sure, I guess INFJ fits me best. But personally I have a hard time seeing Fe being my dominant in terms of decision-making. Amongst other things.

One of the ways I found I used Fe was that I often realized how I felt about something only when I started talking with others about an issue. By myself I kept spinning on possibilities or different scenarios. But when I'd start extraverting those ideas I'd begin realizing which one was really best.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
INTP fits me extremely well. I've never tested as anything else, though sometimes my T/F scores are more balanced. I've learned to be social, or at least to appear social when I have to, so I don't know that someone would pick me out of a crowd and shout, "INTP!" I also tend to like to dress up and wear makeup a little more than I understand INTP girls are supposed to. And I have a strange love of emoticons, but some of that comes from the knowledge that my tone can be misunderstood in print.

I do identify with the INxPs, especially Jennifer. I think our thought processes are incredibly similar, though she's much wiser than me. :smile: Also, something heart said in the INTP/INFP thread about being an INFP struck me hard:

heart said:
But it's going to be a hell of an internal war between wanting harmony with other people and wanting to be true to self and not wanting any constraints. Continual angst over this issue. The only relief found in introverting and getting away from the pressures that other people provide.

I feel this pressure quite often. It's like there's a war between the INTP flexibility and need to let everyone think for themselves, the "live and let live," and feeling some sort of guilt because I'm not sure I've been true to myself by remaining silent. And it is one of the main reasons why people absolutely exhaust me. The push and pull that it creates internally as I figure out my place in this world.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
A couple types are kinda close, but it's really difficult for me to say I'm one type or another. I'm so balanced between T/F that it just messes everything up. Lately, I've decided to settle with the idea that I'm an ENTJ with strong Fi. That's probably as close as I'm going to get.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Hypothesis zero INTPs aren't like me in mannerisms really.. not judging by those I've spoken to. However the internal workings of an INTP are very much like my own and it's that which the MBTI refers to. I think that particular golden rule is often overlooked.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I didn't find the poll option I was looking for, i.e. something along the lines of, my type description fits me pretty well, but not totally.

No type description fits anyone 100%.

So... what percentage is "very well" as in the poll question?

redacted

I'm saying that type is about preferences and my preference is to use Fe in decisions--that's where my mind naturally goes. But...I've had lots of training and wonderful opportunities that have helped me develop skills with Te and Ti. People sometimes see me using those skills and say, "Oh you must be INTJ." No, because I actually prefer Fe I'm INFJ. If my mind went first to the Te considerations I'd prefer Te.

INFJs certainly do exist whose childhoods were so anti-Fe that they haven't been able to develop the skills for their preferred decision making style, so they would really struggle to use it and might not feel like they fit the prototype very well.

The bolded part completely applies to me :)

I'm curious, though. You speak of developing your Te. From my understanding, Te-like behavior in INFJs seems to be due to Ni+Ti interplay expressed through Fe. Te itself seems like it would pretty much directly contradict Fe in most situations.

One set of descriptions (not available on line) only deals with what each type values, not with behaviors. Descriptions of the 16 Types by Gordon Lawrence. It helps a lot of people work through these kinds of nature-but-influenced-by-nurture (or lack thereof) issues that cloud type development.

Interesting. I personally think this is a much better application of type than talking about behavioral correlations. Behavior is so muddled up with nurture that using those correlations seems likely to send people running down the wrong path (especially with mistyping).

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
I didn't find the poll option I was looking for, i.e. something along the lines of, my type description fits me pretty well, but not totally.

No type description fits anyone 100%.

So... what percentage is "very well" as in the poll question?

I think the percentages would very with each person. How much difference would it take before you started to doubt? How much difference would it take before you felt that you were an exception that didn't fit into any of the types?

Some people might doubt if even one thing was off. Some might be okay with 95% or 90%. Some people may not doubt the system even if they only matched 75%.

If it fits well enough that you don't doubt it then that is "very well."

Ilah

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
Many people don't think they do. There may possibly be those who really don't, but I haven't seen one yet. :) I fit.

In "the MBTI is almost useless" thread I posted several questions about type exceptions.

One of them was:
For the people who don't feel they fit into any type, is it because they don't understand the system, they don't know themselves well or because they actually don't fit into any type. [not a quote, my original words may have been a little different]

To that I could add and how can you tell.

So I am curious. What makes you say that those people who think they don't fit into a type are wrong? What is your criteria for making that judgement?

Ilah

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I think the percentages would very with each person. How much difference would it take before you started to doubt? How much difference would it take before you felt that you were an exception that didn't fit into any of the types?

Some people might doubt if even one thing was off. Some might be okay with 95% or 90%. Some people may not doubt the system even if they only matched 75%.

If it fits well enough that you don't doubt it then that is "very well."

Ilah
Ah. I see.
It is my practical experience that any description only describes anyone to about 85% accuracy.
I don't consider that a "very well" fit.
I would consider 95-100% accuracy to be "very well".
I consider 85% to be a "reasonably well" fit.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
One of the ways I found I used Fe was that I often realized how I felt about something only when I started talking with others about an issue. By myself I kept spinning on possibilities or different scenarios. But when I'd start extraverting those ideas I'd begin realizing which one was really best.

Not sure this applies to me or not. Primarily because from about junior high through my mid twenties, I rarely extroverted anything of meaning, and I tended to not let people in.

As for knowing how I feel about things, or how I feel about an issue, I'm not certain the context you're referring to. With what I'll term life decisions, I pretty much decide all of them on my own, but I do appreciate and want affirmation from others, and can get stressed if I don't get it or do receive disapproval - but I'll still go through with it anyway. With little things, or little issues, I don't really need to talk it out - and I know exactly what I think or how I feel about something without needing to bounce it off others.

It's the grey areas that I'll bounce things off others -- when I decide I'm getting nowhere on my own and I am seeking input.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Not sure this applies to me or not. Primarily because from about junior high through my mid twenties, I rarely extroverted anything of meaning, and I tended to not let people in.

As for knowing how I feel about things, or how I feel about an issue, I'm not certain the context you're referring to. With what I'll term life decisions, I pretty much decide all of them on my own, but I do appreciate and want affirmation from others, and can get stressed if I don't get it or do receive disapproval - but I'll still go through with it anyway. With little things, or little issues, I don't really need to talk it out - and I know exactly what I think or how I feel about something without needing to bounce it off others.

It's the grey areas that I'll bounce things off others -- when I decide I'm getting nowhere on my own and I am seeking input.

A specific example--someone in our church's leadership did something incredibly stupid. Some people wanted him to resign, others didn't. Initially I understood how it could have happened, didn't begrudge him, hoped he'd get a second chance, etc. Someone then asked me my views and, as I expressed these very sentiments I realized how $%(*&$ angry I was that he'd caused such an uproar. I really hadn't processed impact on community until I started discussing it....

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Most of the time, INFP does seem like a pretty good fit to me since Fi is my strongest function, but I think my weakest function is Se, and that would be more indicative of INxJ, and several others have told me that I seem a lot like an INFJ (I think this might be cases where I am showing more Ni than Fi or Ne in how I approach certain things), but I don't relate to most descriptions of Fe, so that just does not seem to make sense to me, and I think my value of logic is too low to be an INTJ (I value reasoning and like seeign that someone has put thought of some kind into their words and decisions but I don't see that as the same thing as logic as it is generaly though to apply to xxTx types) .

I think a lot of my ocasional uncertainty comes down to not being sure if I'm using Ti or Te when I try to approach things impersonaly and if I use both, if I have a favoratism to one. I also find it easier to see when I'm using Ne than when I'm using Ni, but I'm not sure if I use Ni without knowing it and have a favoratism for it (in tests that show process weight, Ni is close to my Fi score and sometimes equal or greater depending on mood). I would also consider the possibility that I don't understand Fe and that I'm using it more often than I realize.

If I were to self weight my processes, I think it would be...

Fi -> Ni -> Ne -> Si -> Te -> Ti -> Fe -> Se
and that does not really match any type, but as I mentioned, most of the time, its pretty easy for me to say INFP is a best (but not perfect) fit for me (if you remove Ni, then the top 4 fall into INFP perfectly).