User Tag List

View Poll Results: How well do you fit one of the 16 types?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • I know my type and it fits me very well.

    32 55.17%
  • I am not sure: Sometimes I suspect I might not fit into any of the types.

    18 31.03%
  • I feel I don't fit any of the type descriptions.

    1 1.72%
  • I feel I don't fit because my top two function are not one of the 16 allowed combinations.

    4 6.90%
  • Other (please explain)

    3 5.17%
First 1234 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 33

  1. #21
    4x9 cascadeco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    4 so/sp
    Posts
    6,931

    Default

    In my subjective experience, I don't feel I fit any of the types well. However, outside observers all tell me I fit INFJ well, so I've kind of decided mbti is more useful for outsiders wanting to label other people as they see them, than it is for myself wanting to label myself. So in terms of how I come across to others, sure, I guess INFJ fits me best. But personally I have a hard time seeing Fe being my dominant in terms of decision-making. Amongst other things.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

    My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

  2. #22
    Senior Member edcoaching's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    752

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    In my subjective experience, I don't feel I fit any of the types well. However, outside observers all tell me I fit INFJ well, so I've kind of decided mbti is more useful for outsiders wanting to label other people as they see them, than it is for myself wanting to label myself. So in terms of how I come across to others, sure, I guess INFJ fits me best. But personally I have a hard time seeing Fe being my dominant in terms of decision-making. Amongst other things.
    One of the ways I found I used Fe was that I often realized how I felt about something only when I started talking with others about an issue. By myself I kept spinning on possibilities or different scenarios. But when I'd start extraverting those ideas I'd begin realizing which one was really best.
    edcoaching

  3. #23
    Emerging Tallulah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    6,028

    Default

    INTP fits me extremely well. I've never tested as anything else, though sometimes my T/F scores are more balanced. I've learned to be social, or at least to appear social when I have to, so I don't know that someone would pick me out of a crowd and shout, "INTP!" I also tend to like to dress up and wear makeup a little more than I understand INTP girls are supposed to. And I have a strange love of emoticons, but some of that comes from the knowledge that my tone can be misunderstood in print.

    I do identify with the INxPs, especially Jennifer. I think our thought processes are incredibly similar, though she's much wiser than me. Also, something heart said in the INTP/INFP thread about being an INFP struck me hard:

    Quote Originally Posted by heart
    But it's going to be a hell of an internal war between wanting harmony with other people and wanting to be true to self and not wanting any constraints. Continual angst over this issue. The only relief found in introverting and getting away from the pressures that other people provide.
    I feel this pressure quite often. It's like there's a war between the INTP flexibility and need to let everyone think for themselves, the "live and let live," and feeling some sort of guilt because I'm not sure I've been true to myself by remaining silent. And it is one of the main reasons why people absolutely exhaust me. The push and pull that it creates internally as I figure out my place in this world.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    A couple types are kinda close, but it's really difficult for me to say I'm one type or another. I'm so balanced between T/F that it just messes everything up. Lately, I've decided to settle with the idea that I'm an ENTJ with strong Fi. That's probably as close as I'm going to get.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  5. #25
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Hypothesis zero INTPs aren't like me in mannerisms really.. not judging by those I've spoken to. However the internal workings of an INTP are very much like my own and it's that which the MBTI refers to. I think that particular golden rule is often overlooked.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  6. #26
    Senior Member INTJMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    5,349

    Default

    I didn't find the poll option I was looking for, i.e. something along the lines of, my type description fits me pretty well, but not totally.

    No type description fits anyone 100%.

    So... what percentage is "very well" as in the poll question?

  7. #27
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edcoaching View Post
    I'm saying that type is about preferences and my preference is to use Fe in decisions--that's where my mind naturally goes. But...I've had lots of training and wonderful opportunities that have helped me develop skills with Te and Ti. People sometimes see me using those skills and say, "Oh you must be INTJ." No, because I actually prefer Fe I'm INFJ. If my mind went first to the Te considerations I'd prefer Te.

    INFJs certainly do exist whose childhoods were so anti-Fe that they haven't been able to develop the skills for their preferred decision making style, so they would really struggle to use it and might not feel like they fit the prototype very well.
    The bolded part completely applies to me

    I'm curious, though. You speak of developing your Te. From my understanding, Te-like behavior in INFJs seems to be due to Ni+Ti interplay expressed through Fe. Te itself seems like it would pretty much directly contradict Fe in most situations.

    One set of descriptions (not available on line) only deals with what each type values, not with behaviors. Descriptions of the 16 Types by Gordon Lawrence. It helps a lot of people work through these kinds of nature-but-influenced-by-nurture (or lack thereof) issues that cloud type development.
    Interesting. I personally think this is a much better application of type than talking about behavioral correlations. Behavior is so muddled up with nurture that using those correlations seems likely to send people running down the wrong path (especially with mistyping).

  8. #28
    Senior Member Ilah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    I didn't find the poll option I was looking for, i.e. something along the lines of, my type description fits me pretty well, but not totally.

    No type description fits anyone 100%.

    So... what percentage is "very well" as in the poll question?
    I think the percentages would very with each person. How much difference would it take before you started to doubt? How much difference would it take before you felt that you were an exception that didn't fit into any of the types?

    Some people might doubt if even one thing was off. Some might be okay with 95% or 90%. Some people may not doubt the system even if they only matched 75%.

    If it fits well enough that you don't doubt it then that is "very well."

    Ilah

  9. #29
    Senior Member Ilah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Many people don't think they do. There may possibly be those who really don't, but I haven't seen one yet. :) I fit.
    In "the MBTI is almost useless" thread I posted several questions about type exceptions.

    One of them was:
    For the people who don't feel they fit into any type, is it because they don't understand the system, they don't know themselves well or because they actually don't fit into any type. [not a quote, my original words may have been a little different]

    To that I could add and how can you tell.

    So I am curious. What makes you say that those people who think they don't fit into a type are wrong? What is your criteria for making that judgement?

    Ilah

  10. #30
    Senior Member INTJMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    5,349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ilah View Post
    I think the percentages would very with each person. How much difference would it take before you started to doubt? How much difference would it take before you felt that you were an exception that didn't fit into any of the types?

    Some people might doubt if even one thing was off. Some might be okay with 95% or 90%. Some people may not doubt the system even if they only matched 75%.

    If it fits well enough that you don't doubt it then that is "very well."

    Ilah
    Ah. I see.
    It is my practical experience that any description only describes anyone to about 85% accuracy.
    I don't consider that a "very well" fit.
    I would consider 95-100% accuracy to be "very well".
    I consider 85% to be a "reasonably well" fit.

Similar Threads

  1. How well do you match the stereotype of your type?
    By Elfboy in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 12-06-2011, 10:05 PM
  2. How well do you get along with your opposite type?
    By Silveresque in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 08-21-2011, 02:41 PM
  3. How well do you use the various functions?
    By sculpting in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-06-2009, 12:36 AM
  4. Replies: 45
    Last Post: 06-17-2009, 08:07 AM
  5. How well do you know the type descriptions?
    By Quinlan in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 06-05-2009, 01:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO