User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Innateness and heredity can be two different things. For example, some of our characteristics/problems/strengths develop within the womb. I don't know of any studies on dominant/recessive genes and type, etc. What is known is that the characteristics are present from birth...
    edcoaching

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    well i don't think that we should say that just because our parents are nothing like us, MBTI is not hereditary. i can't remember the terms used in genetics, can't remember high school shit too much but say XX and Xx = S and xx = N, if both my folks were Xx's, they'll be S's, yet i could still be an N.
    Good point. I don't necessarily think it's as simple as one gene, but I'm sure there is a genetic predisposition towards favoring abstract vs. concrete thought. It seems that nurture could potentially bring this out even against the predisposition, but it would make sense that the predisposition would be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I began showing signs of being INTJ-like after a head injury as a child.

So no, I don't think it's hereditary...
    What do you believe you were before your injury?

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    And where are they for a N in S-world ?

What does a madman keep up his faith, through aeons of time and through incountable proofs of being wrong ?
    Ignorance is bliss... =)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    RE: OP: There is as yet insufficient data for meaningful answer. Maybe.
    A very honest answer.

Quote Originally Posted by edcoaching View Post
    It's actually underway by a colleague of mine at UCLA and smaller studies have all shown differences in brain patterns when people with different preferences perform the same tasks. The evidence is in and I'll be posting an entry on it shortly.

The research done so far shows that type is innate; culture, family, workplace, environment influence our expression. That's why typing others is so difficult. We have a type but we learn behaviors (or end up OCD or psychotic or a robot or somehow dysfunctional or ostracized...)
    Type vs. behaviour... that makes sense... thank you so much for the feedback!

well i don't think that we should say that just because our parents are nothing like us, MBTI is not hereditary. i can't remember the terms used in genetics, can't remember high school shit too much but say XX and Xx = S and xx = N, if both my folks were Xx's, they'll be S's, yet i could still be an N. i wish i remembered something in biology, it wiuld be so much simpler.

personally, i think some things about MBTI are just in your genes, whereas others are not. N and S could be one for example. my baby sister never really questioned anything as a child, i did. i don't think we were raised too differently. something like P vs J could be more nurture.

You're talking about dominant/recessive genes, like in the Punnett square, right? Technically speaking, the term "recessive gene" is inexact because the gene isn't recessive but rather the phenotype (or trait). Also the concepts of recessiveness and dominance were developed before a molecular understanding of DNA and before molecular biology, thus mapping many newer concepts to "dominant" or "recessive" phenotypes is tricky. Many traits originally thought to be recessive have mild forms or biochemical abnormalities that come up from the presence of the one copy of the allele. This implies that the dominant phenotype is dependent upon having two dominant alleles, and that the presence of one dominant and one recessive allele creates some blending of both dominant and recessive traits.
    On that note, however... I think it plausible that two Ss could have an N child b/c of the N potentially being recessive in both.
    I think nurture shapes a lot still, for sure, but there is something to be said about your core being in nature.

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by SparklingImpediments View Post
    You're talking about dominant/recessive genes, like in the Punnett square, right? Technically speaking, the term "recessive gene" is inexact because the gene isn't recessive but rather the phenotype (or trait). Also the concepts of recessiveness and dominance were developed before a molecular understanding of DNA and before molecular biology, thus mapping many newer concepts to "dominant" or "recessive" phenotypes is tricky. Many traits originally thought to be recessive have mild forms or biochemical abnormalities that come up from the presence of the one copy of the allele. This implies that the dominant phenotype is dependent upon having two dominant alleles, and that the presence of one dominant and one recessive allele creates some blending of both dominant and recessive traits.
    On that note, however... I think it plausible that two Ss could have an N child b/c of the N potentially being recessive in both.
    I think nurture shapes a lot still, for sure, but there is something to be said about your core being in nature.
    thanks for shaping that up. silly biology teachers did me no good . yeah, either way though, we cannot say that types aren't hereditary based on such shallow judgment.

MBTI
    INTJ

thanks for shaping that up. silly biology teachers did me no good . yeah, either way though, we cannot say that types aren't hereditary based on such shallow judgment.
    They are probably somewhat hereditary, but not entirely so.
    There are other factors that come into play.

MBTI
    INTJ

My parents were both S, but my brother and I are both N. We are the only two children. I only knew one of my grandparents though, so it is a possibility that there is some kind of recessive thing going on.

I agree with entropie's position on nurture. There was no nurture for my N side. I think if was much more of an anti-nurture, in other words nurture designed to make me be more S, less N.

This lack of support for my N-ness is a reason I lean heavily to the born with in side. Why would I stick with a personal type despite all the negative reinforcement if it wasn't hard wired in my brain?

Ilah

Quote Originally Posted by SparklingImpediments View Post