User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

ugh... I can't even begin to think of how complex that would be genetically. Someone should do brain scans of, say, N vs. S participants solving specialized tasks. Then we might get some significant differences and begin from there... The idea is to get this personality theory to manifest itself physiologically somehow and work our way down to genes. I can see it now: ENTP transgenic mouse models with wildtype controls, and Oberon Gene knockouts (in honor of Oberon who is an ENTP mouse). Scientists, fill in the detail, 'cause I'm going to bed... for real this time.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

RE: OP: There is as yet insufficient data for meaningful answer. Maybe.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

ISFJ + ENTJ = INTP?

Wha? :confused:

As with most psychology I have come to the conclusion that it's all nurture but that the core of it is formed before you can interact with the environment properly and so ends up being a random starting point. But that's just a theory..
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I have nothing really in common with my parents or sister or grandparents in terms of personality.

I don't think you can track specific functions genetically, except for perhaps I/E (since it involves neurobiology). The others are not correlated directly to particular biological structures / entities.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix13 View Post
    ugh... I can't even begin to think of how complex that would be genetically. Someone should do brain scans of, say, N vs. S participants solving specialized tasks. Then we might get some significant differences and begin from there... The idea is to get this personality theory to manifest itself physiologically somehow and work our way down to genes. I can see it now: ENTP transgenic mouse models with wildtype controls, and Oberon Gene knockouts (in honor of Oberon who is an ENTP mouse). Scientists, fill in the detail, 'cause I'm going to bed... for real this time.
    It's actually underway by a colleague of mine at UCLA and smaller studies have all shown differences in brain patterns when people with different preferences perform the same tasks. The evidence is in and I'll be posting an entry on it shortly.

The research done so far shows that type is innate; culture, family, workplace, environment influence our expression. That's why typing others is so difficult. We have a type but we learn behaviors (or end up OCD or psychotic or a robot or somehow dysfunctional or ostracized...)
    edcoaching

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by edcoaching View Post
    It's actually underway by a colleague of mine at UCLA and smaller studies have all shown differences in brain patterns when people with different preferences perform the same tasks. The evidence is in and I'll be posting an entry on it shortly.

The research done so far shows that type is innate; culture, family, workplace, environment influence our expression. That's why typing others is so difficult. We have a type but we learn behaviors (or end up OCD or psychotic or a robot or somehow dysfunctional or ostracized...)
    SCORE! So, are you putting me in the paper or what?

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by edcoaching View Post

OMG, that is incredibly interesting. When will Nardi be publishing this stuff?

Caveat from opposing Ni: I reaaallly hope people are ready for this stuff; after hearing some of that 'gay gene' speculation, I wonder if people are ready for this kind of knowledge. You can't change someone's preferences through brain surgery or drugs, can you (but isn't that what Adderal already does?!! It screws your preffered perception function).

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

well i don't think that we should say that just because our parents are nothing like us, MBTI is not hereditary. i can't remember the terms used in genetics, can't remember high school shit too much but say XX and Xx = S and xx = N, if both my folks were Xx's, they'll be S's, yet i could still be an N. i wish i remembered something in biology, it wiuld be so much simpler.

personally, i think some things about MBTI are just in your genes, whereas others are not. N and S could be one for example. my baby sister never really questioned anything as a child, i did. i don't think we were raised too differently. something like P vs J could be more nurture.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    OMG, that is incredibly interesting. When will Nardi be publishing this stuff?

Caveat from opposing Ni: I reaaallly hope people are ready for this stuff; after hearing some of that 'gay gene' speculation, I wonder if people are ready for this kind of knowledge. You can't change someone's preferences through brain surgery or drugs, can you (but isn't that what Adderal already does?!! It screws your preffered perception function).
    He published a sample in the current Bulletin of Psychological Type.

Yeah, I'm not sure how he'll handle general dissemination of the knowledge but he's pretty sensitive. And all kinds of drugs alter behaviors that are naturally driven by our preferences. Ritalin...
    edcoaching

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by SparklingImpediments View Post
    I've discussed this with many of my friends, and I've come to the conclusion that one's personality type is hereditary. For example I believe I get the NF from my mother, and P from my father, and E from my grandfather. I've found predominantly observant families do not have Intuitive children, and vice versa. What do you think?
    Hi. Welcome to the forum.

I'm afraid I can't agree with you.
    While I do believe MB type is heavily hereditary, I don't believe it is entirely so.

My parents are both S types, yet my sister and I are both N types.