User Tag List

First 6789 Last

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    If we don't challenge our premises we may stagnate. As long as it's civil what's the harm?
    i guess you're right. my first instinct was that it's a bit like going to a ball game and saying the sport sucks. MBTI is what got us all together, so saying it's useless did not appeal to me.

MBTI
    INFP

Okay third try.. keep losing my responses.. bloomin logging in and out... stupid stuff!!!

My first use of the MBTI was to try to understand that my way of thinking is not universal. To try to recognise other's thinking and to allow for it.

The MBTI is not about applying labels to people but understanding them. To understand something you have to start with an assumption. That's just how us humans work.
    If we don't challenge our premises we may stagnate. As long as it's civil what's the harm?
    QFT.
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA

MBTI
    INFP

The MBTI is not about applying labels to people but understanding them. To understand something you have to start with an assumption. That's just how us humans work.
    Thatīs just how us NPs work. NPs use theories and systems as tools. They grab them, wield them and make adjustments while they try to work with them. Itīs not the same with NJs because their function processes act in a different way. First, NJs need to question the validity of a theory or system. Dissonance is not the only NJ here who does this and I donīt think itīs helpful if they try to understand a theory in the NP way. But maybe it helps a little if they see the difference of how their approach differs from the NP approach.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

^Haha SUCKERS

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    i guess you're right. my first instinct was that it's a bit like going to a ball game and saying the sport sucks. MBTI is what got us all together, so saying it's useless did not appeal to me.
    But most of them do suck...

Quote Originally Posted by Delphyne View Post
    Thatīs just how us NPs work. NPs use theories and systems as tools. They grab them, wield them and make adjustments while they try to work with them. Itīs not the same with NJs because their function processes act in a different way. First, NJs need to question the validity of a theory or system. Dissonance is not the only NJ here who does this and I donīt think itīs helpful if they try to understand a theory in the NP way. But maybe it helps a little if they see the difference of how their approach differs from the NP approach.
    Ah. Makes sense. Damn.

Well I can only convey as I understand it I guess...

Still. Damn.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTJ

I personally have found MBTT very useful - life-changing-ly useful - Thank-goodness-I-had-this-or-I-don't-know-where-I'd-be useful.
    I don't personally relate to or agree with those who find it useless.
    I guess it depends on what one tries to use it for.
    I agree with Xander in that I use it to better understand people.
    It helps me get along with them better.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    my first instinct was that it's a bit like going to a ball game and saying the sport sucks.
    The only problem with that analogy is that I've been a fan of this ball game for two years, and my opinion of it is just changing now. Plus, I've been on this forum for almost a year now, participating in hundreds of discussions.

Honestly, I mean no one any ill-will. But I feel obligated to share my ideas about the drawbacks to this system -- we all get comfortable here, and it's hard to question our own beliefs.

This is all about cognitive dissonance, really. The more you use a system, the harder it will be to tell yourself that it isn't valid, because doing so means you have to admit to yourself that you may have made many more mistakes than you had originally thought. It's the same idea with pledging a fraternity. A Brother is much more likely to discuss the negative aspects of the system right at the beginning. Once they go through the pledging process, thinking of the system as negative makes them wonder why they went through all the bullshit to join. So to resolve the potential dissonance, they will literally like the fraternity more, because it's more comfortable.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    This is all about cognitive dissonance, really. The more you use a system, the harder it will be to tell yourself that it isn't valid, because doing so means you have to admit to yourself that you may have made many more mistakes than you had originally thought. It's the same idea with pledging a fraternity. A Brother is much more likely to discuss the negative aspects of the system right at the beginning. Once they go through the pledging process, thinking of the system as negative makes them wonder why they went through all the bullshit to join. So to resolve the potential dissonance, they will literally like the fraternity more, because it's more comfortable.
    So you're talking about the theory as it's used in this forum? To me the test is real life. The more I use it as a tool for bringing understanding and change to teams and schools, and the more I see it work, the more I think it's a good thing...if it didn't work I'd be the first looking for a different toolkit...
    edcoaching

MBTI
    INTP

delphyne made a great point! when its used as a flexible tool its highly effective IMO. A general guideline to begin to form a template, not some in depth extremely accurate psychoanalytic questionaire that gets to the root of any person. Mix and match it with your natural instincts and observations about a persons personality.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Flexible can turn into flimsy.