User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yes, more actual discussion and explanation and less, "Oh, you're so right!" and "Oh, you are too!" and "Oh, we are so right, together -- group huggies" would be more informative and useful.
    *Tommy Chong* So much negative energy, maannnn. Carpe diem.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by sleepless View Post
    You describe yourself as NiTi, which I find a bit alarming to be honest... We need to stay out of Ti; the third function is nothing you need to "strengthen", rather as you say, it should mostly be used to explain things to others.
    I describe myself as NiTi because in terms of dichotomies I am more of a Thinker than a Feeler (Using the four letters separately, I am INTJ). Thinking is necessary to put bounds on our unbounded internal vision, unless you want the only bounds to be external Feeling sentiment...

See? I can talk MBTI all day, but it's a waste.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    *Tommy Chong* So much negative energy, maannnn. Carpe diem.
    Sorry, i was just lonely cuz I was shut out of the lovin'.
    Bitterness becomes me.

Time for martinis!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post

I completely disagree. Staying on the level of dichotomies makes misapplication even more likely. Thinking versus Feeling? What a joke. You end up putting things against each other that aren't actually in opposition.
    What I should have said is that I think that function order in every type is not absolute. I think that people take this part too seriously.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I have a habit of typing people and try to quit from time to time because it can be as limiting as it can be helpful. What I have noticed particularly in groups that all think in terms of MBTI is that the same statements and behaviors are described and justified differently depending on the letter beside the person's name. This is amplified by internet communication because the non-verbal nuance can be imposed on the text to fit underlying assumptions.

Tempers
    F's have tempers because they are emotional and express with feelings. They become overwhelmed and reason with their feelings which include anger.

T's have tempers because their emotional worlds are not fully developed or understood, so when they feel, they have trouble expressing and analyzing and end up in a temper.

Cool-headedness:
    F's demonstrate unflappability because they are nice and pleasant.

T's demonstrate unflappability because they are detached and objective.

Rudeness:
    F's are rude because they take everything personally and express in ways that are emotionally stirring.

T's are rude because they don't care about feelings.

Politeness:
    F's are polite because they don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

T's are polite because they don't want to deal with emotional responses.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yes, more actual discussion and explanation and less, "Oh, you're so right!" and "Oh, you are too!" and "Oh, we are so right, together -- group huggies" would be more informative and useful.
    Some of us have discussed this 1000 times already.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    What I should have said is that I think that function order in every type is not absolute. I think that people take this part too seriously.
    Yes. They do take it too seriously. People see 'F' in my type and think of me as somehow a worse Thinker.

Again, MBTI is useful on a large scale -- when you are looking at groups. But you run into problems applying it to individuals. How many times do you see people say "one of us" or "we" when talking about members of their type? It's nonsense.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    I have a habit of typing people and try to quit from time to time because it can be as limiting as it can be helpful. What I have noticed particularly in groups that all think in terms of MBTI is that the same statements and behaviors are described and justified differently depending on the letter beside the person's name. This is amplified by internet communication because the non-verbal nuance can be imposed on the text to fit underlying assumptions.

Tempers
    F's have tempers because they are emotional and express with feelings. They become overwhelmed and reason with their feelings which include anger.

T's have tempers because their emotional worlds are not fully developed or understood, so when they feel, they have trouble expressing and analyzing and end up in a temper.

Cool-headedness:
    F's demonstrate unflappability because they are nice and pleasant.

T's demonstrate unflappability because they are detached and objective.

Rudeness:
    F's are rude because they take everything personally and express in ways that are emotionally stirring.

T's are rude because they don't care about feelings.

Politeness:
    F's are polite because they don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

T's are polite because they don't want to deal with emotional responses.
    Thank you. People just take an interpretation that fits into their framework, except that it isn't their own framework, it's someone else's. They stop thinking for themselves.

Confirmation bias cannot be overcome. We should stop trying to fight it. The people who think they've won out over it are the worst...

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    Yes. They do take it too seriously. People see 'F' in my type and think of me as somehow a worse Thinker.
    I admit it. But not the actual ability of thinking, the way the F will disregard thinking.

MBTI
    INFJ

I describe myself as NiTi because in terms of dichotomies I am more of a Thinker than a Feeler (Using the four letters separately, I am INTJ). Thinking is necessary to put bounds on our unbounded internal vision, unless you want the only bounds to be external Feeling sentiment...
    Hm... you think? Maybe I'm naive, but I just see Ti as something that gets in the way... but I haven't made up my mind yet completely.

See? I can talk MBTI all day, but it's a waste.
    *sigh* I know. But somehow I'm still caught up in the illusion of it, it's like I need to get done with it first, but then hopefully I can let go of it and come and join you on the other side.