• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENFP :- A brief owners manual.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I find this type most difficult to deal with. They seem to have as many strands of thinking/ feeling going on as I do but with an orchestra of values and supposed tos attached to it all. I feel like I'm tweaking the strands of a spiders web when I speak to them and try to be of help or be friendly. Honestly I tend to end up treating them like paranoid little buggers even though I know they are about the nicest people on the planet!

Anyhow I had a discussion with my father one day on how to deal with an ENFP with a problem. I'll try to relay.

#1 What?
#2 So what?
#3 What now?

#1 - Establish what is wrong.
#2 - Establish why this is a problem.
#3 - Ask them what they intend to do about it.

Apparently though if the circle does not work and all suggested solutions (step #3) are batted away then there is a step #3a which goes something like "well shut up about it then", based on the theory that on rare occasions an ENFP will rant and rave to vent but will end up taking everyone else with them into this emotional turmoil. Only ever done unwittingly (in my personal experience) it is still destructive.

Note :-
I realise that any ENFP reading this is liable never to talk to me again but I hope it's helpful none the less. Comments welcome.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Do you own an ENFP?
Well when your walking them daily and feeding them whenever they start whimpering I'd say they own you!

;)
(It's just a turn of phrase Shimpei.)

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wouldn't try to control an ENFP. Just go along for the ride. It will be an amazing ride. ENFPs are some of my favorite people.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I wouldn't try to control an ENFP. Just go along for the ride. It will be an amazing ride. ENFPs are some of my favorite people.
Not even I expect miracles but I'd like to be of some use in an advisory capacity. Also it'd be nice to make some sense of the larger picture too.

I have an obsession with things making sense relatively. ENFPs tend to push my understanding of this. They get it but I'm like :huh: Hence I've been looking at pointers for a while. The OP represents ones that work.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I think I met an ENFP (ENFX?) last night. Good times. :) We talked for two hours and didn't even know each other's name.

I had a class with an ENFP and we clicked pretty well. I could see some friction with the J/P and she was a little flightier than me (not much, just enough to be annoying) but generally good experiences.

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Gen

MBTI Type
INTP
#1 What?
#2 So what?
#3 What now?

Apparently though if the circle does not work and all suggested solutions (step #3) are batted away then there is a step #3a which goes something like "well shut up about it then", based on the theory that on rare occasions an ENFP will rant and rave to vent but will end up taking everyone else with them into this emotional turmoil. Only ever done unwittingly (in my personal experience) it is still destructive.

Comments welcome.

It doesn't work. It's so obviously an ENTJ way to deal with things. I can only see how this can work for an ENFP if it's for work related situations, relayed by an ENTJ superior. For anything else, an ENFP needs understanding and compassion more than someone to take their hand through the decision making process. They aren't retarded.

You can't make them look at every situation impersonally and then if it doesn't help tell them to stfu! That won't fix the problem, that will make them feel as if now they have another problem, a friend who doesn't care about them! For an ENFP who has a problem you listen to them and try to understand them. Tell them they are justified in feeling the way they do. Ask them what their options are, maybe suggest other options. Ask them what result they could not live with. Help them figure out the best way to get where they want to go in the way that feels best. Be a friend, not a General.

I'm sorry, I've heard this tactic before and it's just so not beneficial for ENFP's. It shocks me, really.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I'm sorry, I've heard this tactic before and it's just so not beneficial for ENFP's. It shocks me, really.
Miscommunication.

#1 What. = Discuss with ENFP about what going wrong. Full discussion.
#2 So what = Discuss what this all means to the ENFP and try to locate their perspective so you can understand/ empathise better.
#3 What now = Discuss what can be done to move forward, if anything.
#3a STFU = Sometimes no route forward will be accepted. No resolution will be accomodated and yet the stress will continue. At which point STFU may be necessary. To avoid it can lead to cosseting. You know this.

Gen

MBTI Type
INTP
Miscommunication.

#1 What. = Discuss with ENFP about what going wrong. Full discussion.
#2 So what = Discuss what this all means to the ENFP and try to locate their perspective so you can understand/ empathise better.
#3 What now = Discuss what can be done to move forward, if anything.
#3a STFU = Sometimes no route forward will be accepted. No resolution will be accomodated and yet the stress will continue. At which point STFU may be necessary. To avoid it can lead to cosseting. You know this.

Oh! :duel:

I know what you're saying, it's still a very impersonal "T" way of dealing with an ENFP. They have the ability to think objectively too, they can do that on their own. When they're talking to a friend they need the compassion and empathy more than anything else.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree with Gen. In fact, this sort of approach can even be generalized out to a T/F difference.

In general, Feelers need to deal with their emotions and reconcile the conflicts before being able to implement a solution; a few types CAN stuff the emotions down but you will pay for it later and so will they. Thinkers usually just set the emotions aside (and can do so), in order to resolve the problem, then catch up to their feelings later if they can't just ignore them.

Telling a Feeler to just "suck it up" and/or set the feelings aside is probably the worst mistake that Thinkers make. (The worst mistake for Feelers is either beating around the bush too long and not giving the Thinker the blunt honest feedback they need, or else making the conflict so personal that the Thinker can't think straight anymore and either has to pull out or engage in a personal-level fight.)

When I talk to Feelers, I try very hard to always deal with the feelings first, or at least try to show I'm empathizing. But you have to get the feelings thing dealt with. They run off their values. If they are forced to ignore their values repeatedly, they get more and more angry or more and more depressed. It's NOT a good long-term solution to tell them to just "suck it up."

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
If I'd actually said that you should curtail anyone's emotions you may have a point.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
xander said:
#3a STFU = Sometimes no route forward will be accepted. No resolution will be accommodated and yet the stress will continue. At which point STFU may be necessary. To avoid it can lead to cosseting. You know this.

This is the step I have issue with. It works for a T. You don't have a choice with F's -- they have to somehow come to terms with the value conflict. This "coming to terms" *could* simply include a decision by the Feeler that their values are telling them it's most important to keep going, or that they can endure the conflict for a cause or a particular person... but they still have to be able to justify it, value-wise.

The rest of your steps, btw, still seem to be couched in "Thinker's" terms.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When I deal with ENFPs, I find them either overly placatory about their values or overly aggressive with their values, depending on where they are at.

I admit, sometimes I am just not sure how to interact when it comes to an ideas discussion or problem resolution. (The best times I have with an ENFP are when we are just making each other laugh, having a good time, or creating things / speculating together.)

1. They seem to be sensitive about their personal values and expect me to be the same way, so they shy away from certain personal exposure. I have to take the initiative and open up certain personal topics, so they feel like it is okay to go there.

1a. If I was approaching THEM on an issue, I would first learn what the value problem is that is preventing them from resolving the issue at hand. I would have to approach it gently and kindly, but not beat around the bush. (Just gentle prying open of the clam. :) )

2. If I see some plausible solutions, I try to reinterpret the situation into "patterns" or create metaphors that resonate with the values I know they already hold. A metaphor doesn't have to be logically justifiable; it just has to resonate thematically for an ENFP to find value in it, usually. [This was a hard one for me to understand. I need some sort of logical connection, otherwise it just feels like "fluff" to me even if to them it is not.] Metaphors/Patterns seem to be very powerful for ENFPs, probably due to the Ne.

3. Couch the solution in terms of how the solution can benefit the people whom the ENFP values.

But really, I just try to listen first and get them to talk about what they're feeling and thinking, because all of that has to be dealt with before any solution can occur.

This is similar to some of your steps, but just feels like a more personalized approach to me. Are there other things that could be added to it?

R

RDF

Seems to me that ENFPs mainly just want to be heard out. Xander's steps 1-3 sound reasonable to me, in that they give the ENFP ample opportunity to air their grievance and explore angles for addressing the problem.

I would just change step 3a to "Agree with them." IOW:

"Whoa, yeah, that sucks. Sounds like you got a bad deal. Life really is a bitch sometimes. Too bad that people can't make the extra effort to be nicer."

I know it sounds patronizing. But again, ENFPs mainly just seem to want to be heard. They usually accept that life is tough and most problems can't be mended, and they'll move on once they've aired their grievance properly. If you sympathize, you're indicating you heard and understand, and that will give them closure.

Just my opinion, of course.

FL

Dom

MBTI Type
ENFP
I find this type most difficult to deal with. They seem to have as many strands of thinking/ feeling going on as I do but with an orchestra of values and supposed tos attached to it all. I feel like I'm tweaking the strands of a spiders web when I speak to them and try to be of help or be friendly. Honestly I tend to end up treating them like paranoid little buggers even though I know they are about the nicest people on the planet!

Anyhow I had a discussion with my father one day on how to deal with an ENFP with a problem. I'll try to relay.

#1 What?
#2 So what?
#3 What now?

Note :-
I realise that any ENFP reading this is liable never to talk to me again but I hope it's helpful none the less. Comments welcome.

When you do this with me Xander, we get into fights, and then the fights eventual stop, they stop because I value your friendship more than trying to get you to understand exactly how I work, Apparently T like the blunt honest truth; most of our fights hurt me deeply, I let them go cos I'd rather that than a serious break develop. Honestly I 'feel' like it is always me that bends or gives in to resolve a dispute, even if it is about what is depressing me or hurting me.

Telling an ENFP to 'stfu' when they are in the whirlwind of trying to work out what the least bad solution is, or are jsut vent will make them respond with anger every time, unless they consider that they are being foolish. several times I've felt you don't take how I'm feelign seriously when I'm in a real stressed state it seems you find it something to endure and ignore and then you'll try to help ince the silly ENFP has calmed down and is rational again. I'm jsut being hoenst here Xander, no malice or spite or resentment. In most of our most bitter desputes, I feel (that doesn't mean it's objectively accurate) that I have had to swallow my pride, hurt, or some other thing to avoid us seriously disagreeing.

An ENFP needs to feel like their friends are on side, that they can understand that even if it is a triffle thing it is causing the enfp alot of pain at that moment, and whether the friend thinks its proportionate or not is irrelevant, your setps are fine, but when most enfps get into the messy state that the forth point implies it's because they have gone through the other three and found no answers, at this stage they want new suggestions and sympathy. The worst thing you can do is belittle the problem until th eenfp is back inside their skull again, then they can laugh at their own overblownness.

Not sure this was worth posting really, I always thought you knew all this?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
...In most of our most bitter desputes, I feel (that doesn't mean it's objectively accurate) that I have had to swallow my pride, hurt, or some other thing to avoid us seriously disagreeing...

:sad:

[gently] Your willingness to keep things open between you two and help the relationship endure is a good and valuable thing...

...But maybe you should kick his You-Know-What once in awhile, so he doesn't mistake what's going on?

Xander's a TP. He can handle it.

Dom

MBTI Type
ENFP
:sad:

[gently] Your willingness to keep things open between you two and help the relationship endure is a good and valuable thing...

...But maybe you should kick his You-Know-What once in awhile, so he doesn't mistake what's going on?

Xander's a TP. He can handle it.

Well, I don't know, Xander and I go way way way back, it's hard to change the pattern of behaviour, I always thought he understood what was happenign and that it was ok, left unspoken but nowadays I'm not so sure, it matters little really, we manage to get along and stay relatively close.

Not as close as we were, when I try to help him, it goes very wrong, so I don't try anymore, makes me feel bad being a 2 as all I want to do is help.

Known him so long I call him a brother really, and I do love him in a not fondling each others genitals kindaway...