User Tag List

First 12

Thread: insight Ni Ne

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
    I mean the ability to gain an inner understanding of something without it being right in front of you.

According to Wiki:

Insight can be used with several related meanings:

* a piece of information
    * the act or result of apprehending the inner nature of things or of seeing intuitively
    * the power of acute observation and deduction, penetration,discernment, perception
    * introspection

An insight that manifests itself suddenly, such as understanding how to solve a difficult problem, is called with a German word Aha-Erlebnis. The term was coined by the German psychologist and theoretical linguist Karl Bühler. It is also known as an epiphany.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    All types of people still experience those things.

The basic thing I guess you can say is that Sensors tend to pay attention first to the actual facts at hand, while iNtuitives usually focus first on the implications suggested by those facts. "Insight" like you describe it here tend to be more related to the latter.
    Jennifer is correct in that how you connote “insight” is not exclusive for intuitive types. Just read some descriptions of ESTP in their ability to immediately size up a matter, wherein it looks as though they have taken in little. They completely get the gist of a matter within fractions of the time it takes others. This is indicative of when they walk into a room and immediately notice the vibe. Based on that, it would seem that Ne and Se types will do it before other extraverts and since introverted types are usually engrossed in their own little worlds, they can be oblivious to what is going on externally. So, yes to Ne definitely no to Ni.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

alright. if insight is the wrong word to differentiate the two, is the a word to define each one?
    Ni and Ne can be thought of as inference or metaphor or the first step of induction or hypothesizing. the difference between Ni and Ne is analogous to depth of concepts vs. breadth of concepts. in one snapshot of time, they may serve the same purpose, but over time, Ni will continue focusing on one specific idea whereas Ne will respond to new data as it becomes available.

I mean the ability to gain an inner understanding of something without it being right in front of you.
    For me, when I have insights they seem incredibly obvious, like they were right in front of me the whole time.

According to Wiki:

Insight can be used with several related meanings:
    I think the different meanings could be associated with different things.
    * a piece of information
    If found, Se, if remembered Si.
    * the act or result of apprehending the inner nature of things or of seeing intuitively
    Seems like a mix of Si and Ni.
    * the power of acute observation and deduction, penetration,discernment, perception
    Any of the extroverted functions at their best.
    * introspection
    Any introverted function, but according to Keirsey, being introspective is synonymous with N.

An insight that manifests itself suddenly, such as understanding how to solve a difficult problem, is called with a German word Aha-Erlebnis. The term was coined by the German psychologist and theoretical linguist Karl Bühler. It is also known as an epiphany.
    I usually associate this with Ni, but Ni is my "discovery" function. Perhaps it is the result of using Discovery?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield