• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Race, Culture and MBTI

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Well it could suggest that the environment has a greater degree of control over the outcome of one's personality than biology.

Edit: Or at least its (the person's personality) manifestations.

I dunno. I remember reading, according to the "average" that the United States had an unusually high proportion of Ts to Fs -- instead of a "normal" proportion of 60%F to 40%T, it was closer to 50-50 (though there were still more female Fs than Ts, there were more Ts than "average"). However, because I have no idea how these statistics were calculated and who were in the sample, this is probably meaningless.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I read somewhere about race vs. different MBTI types. I'll check later to see if I can get the link.

Chloe

just watched a video about enneagram where woman said usa is mixture of enneagram 3 and 1, and UK is 1 and 4.

i dunno, it sounds interesting at least to hear it....

and it's pretty obvious that usa is 3 haha

anyway, i know this is mbti thread

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
Here are the results from the aforementioned Iowa study on type and race:

mbtis.jpg

-and US vs. UK:

93112200.jpg

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
^Yea, I'm skeptical. ENFPs are the only intuitors represented so highly in that sample.

Chloe

Hmmm...but the same doesn't seem to happen with say, ISFJs and INFJs.

yeah, i know.:D

how they say, statistic's purpose is to manipulate "facts". :smile:

well, no, i think it's more likely for SP to test N, than SJ, of course.

and i know 2 esfps who tested enfp.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Finnish men are ISTx.
Finnish women are ESFJ.
(At least those are the stereotypes.)

But, yes, well, I see lots of ISxJs here. They are everywhere. I could guess at least 1/4 of population, if not even 1/3.
(Finns are supposed to work loyally and effectively and keep their mouths shut. It's an easy place for an introvert to live in. :D)
MBTI is about land.

Big time landowners >
priests > the professional class (doctors, judges, civil servants, high bureaucrats: ESTJ
Farmers > middle class: ISTJ
Landless > hired hands, vagabonds, mercenaries, petty thieves: ESTP, ISTP

Sources:
Linnankoski, Linna, Salama, Holma.

Fiction is not fiction. Only non-fiction is fiction.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

mbtis.jpg

I guess I'm not imagining or mistyping the large percentage of ISTJ in African Americans.
(and there do seem to be quite a few ESFJ's among Hispanic women).

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2

-and US vs. UK:

Hmmm, I've seen this before.

I'm a nurture person along the nature vs. nurture debate and I think the reason why so many African Americans type as S/SJ because historically these traits are encouraged. Can you imagine being a stereotypical dreamy INFP toiling in a field or as a domestic constantly having to pay attention to laundry, cooking, and children every day? It's just like that scene from The Color Purple when Sofia says to Celie:
Girl, you oughta bash Mister’s head open and think about heaven later!

I wish there were some statistics from African countries, specifically west Africa to use as a basis for comparison to see if the percentages are similar. I know that from what I've read of a few west African societies and cultures like the Yoruba and the Dogon, those are highly abstract Ni-heavy cultures. I think strong sensing traits have been "breed" so to speak into black Americans, not genetically but socially and culturally embedded very deeply.

I also read a study a while ago about how most black parents have an authoritarian parenting style (there are strong benefits to this style especially with an urban and/or violent environment) which does not encourage certain traits similar to what people would classify as intuitive, e.g. openness to ideas.

This investigation examines the hypothesis that authoritarian parenting is a culturally influenced protective factor that differentially buffers African American male adolescents from delinquency and violence. The essence of the hypothesis is that authoritarian parenting, consistent with the true nature of protective factors, will interact with risk factors for delinquency and violence to neutralize or diminish delinquent and violent offending. The core of the study examines whether authoritarian parenting, a least preferred child rearing style in low risk adolescents, will differentially neutralize or diminish the synergistic effects of multiple risk factors on delinquent and violent offending in high risk African American male adolescents in comparison to European American male adolescents. Five risk factors including poverty, low maternal education, early child bearing, female-headed households and neighborhood disorder are utilized to assess the effects of the hypothesized cultural protective factor. Factor and reliability analyses will be conducted to assess the adequacy of the measures. To test the hypothesis, a comparison of regression coefficients between high risk African American and European American male adolescents will be derived to examine for statistically significant differences in support of the hypothesis. The longitudinal panel design of the Rochester Youth Development Study will allow for an analysis of the influence of the hypothesized cultural protective factor, authoritarian parenting, during late adolescence, a critical developmental time point in adolescents' lives and a period where offending is most prevalent.

Source

I think authoritarian styles tend to overlap somewhat with S and J.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
-and US vs. UK:

93112200.jpg

Do you know how large those studies were? Because stats have a certain margain for error on them, and unless the sample sizes are particularly large, I'm incline to say that within experimental error, both countries are the same.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
i think that probably all cultures have preferred personality types, which represent the "ideal" members of that society, and which influence the individuals within it when they take MBTI tests; but the true distribution of personality types is probably similar across cultures.

it seems to me that most people in any given culture tend to prefer whatever traits are preferred culturally, whether they really have them or not (they may even really believe that they have those traits when they don't). i think this is true of sub-culturally preferred traits too (and i think this is why there are so many N's online but not in real life--i think most online N's are really S's--they post like S's at least).

this is one of the problems i have with MBTI results, i think they reflect more often what people wish was true about themselves than what actually is true.

I agree. Very true.

I think each culture favors a certain personality type, but the frequency of types in the population overall is still the same (i.e, very few Ns and more Sensors).

People don't change from culture to culture. The standard does.

Can you imagine being a stereotypical dreamy INFP toiling in a field or as a domestic constantly having to pay attention to laundry, cooking, and children every day?

:laugh:

Well, it's quite possible for an INFP to have been a fieldworker or a house slave during slavery. In fact, I'm more than sure there were, but we definitely would have had a harder time coping with the realities of slavery than, say, the xSTJ or the ESTP slave.

I wish there were some statistics from African countries, specifically west Africa to use as a basis for comparison to see if the percentages are similar. I know that from what I've read of a few west African societies and cultures like the Yoruba and the Dogon, those are highly abstract Ni-heavy cultures. I think strong sensing traits have been "breed" so to speak into black Americans, not genetically but socially and culturally embedded very deeply.

Mmm, that's interesting.

Interesting because I agree and disagree with you all at the same time.

Let me think about this a little more...

I also read a study a while ago about how most black parents have an authoritarian parenting style (there are strong benefits to this style especially with an urban and/or violent environment) which does not encourage certain traits similar to what people would classify as intuitive, e.g. openness to ideas.
Source

I was thinking about this the other day.

I was trying to figure out if there was something in my childhood that could have inspired the N. Sometimes, I think "yes," but other times... I don't know. I get the sense that I would have still been an INFP if I had grown up in a different environment.

Really? I thought Swedes and other scandinavians were known for being a little introverted or shy, and goofy.

No, not necessarily.

That's just the stereotype our culture associates with petite blondes.

;)

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
I guess I'm not imagining or mistyping the large percentage of ISTJ in African Americans.
(and there do seem to be quite a few ESFJ's among Hispanic women).
Not imagining it, it's been documented.:yes:
More frequent among African Americans
ISTJ - Introverted Sensing Thinking Judging - Ransdell Associates

Hmmm, I've seen this before.

I'm a nurture person along the nature vs. nurture debate and I think the reason why so many African Americans type as S/SJ because historically these traits are encouraged.
Yes, I've actually read something that essentially said the bolded. The theory was that many AAs type themselves with expectations of dominant class preferences in mind. I'm willing to bet that the same often happens to many men and women on the T vs. F scale.

Can you imagine being a stereotypical dreamy INFP toiling in a field or as a domestic constantly having to pay attention to laundry, cooking, and children every day? It's just like that scene from The Color Purple when Sofia says to Celie: Girl, you oughta bash Mister’s head open and think about heaven later!

Haha, so true. At the same time though, I can't imagine where we'd be without the slaves who were idealist. I'm led to think about the hope that so many slaves used as fuel for survival, and I can't think of any other way to define that hope but in terms of idealism. In the face of what was in front of the last of them(generations of enslavement), many managed to envision freedom and a new day, to the degree to which it was within their mind's grasp as a potential reality. There were few cohesive plans for survival, and little idea of where anyone would be housed, or how they would legitimately make a living; yet ultimately, they lived and died to hopefully see that day, bring what may.

That would be good information. I wonder how intuition vs. sensing functions compare regarding their individual abilities to aid in physical survival. It'd be interesting to know if this could all be tied into something like Maslow's Hierarchy.

True, AA parents do tend to have an authoritarian parenting style. Although, it's hard to determine what came first: the authoritarian parenting style, or the severe stress that so often induces it. Families that are more socially and economically secure tend to be less authoritarian and more authoritative. Again, I'm thinking something along the lines of Maslow's Hierarchy. How far are we going to get if everyone has their head's in the clouds, imagining the possibilities and waiting for the right moment, versus dutifully and methodically doing and remaining alert to present surroundings? Further, there's a risk in blazing new trails, far too great perhaps, for many newly established families/cultures/individuals. Following the tried and true may seem like a better way to ensure familial security.

Yes, or even T and J.

Do you know how large those studies were? Because stats have a certain margain for error on them, and unless the sample sizes are particularly large, I'm incline to say that within experimental error, both countries are the same.
I'll find it and post.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not imagining it, it's been documented.:yes: ISTJ - Introverted Sensing Thinking Judging - Ransdell Associates

Yes, I've actually read something that essentially said the bolded. The theory was that many AAs type themselves with expectations of dominant class preferences in mind. I'm willing to bet that the same often happens to many men and women on the T vs. F scale.

Haha, so true. At the same time though, I can't imagine where we'd be without the slaves who were idealist. I'm led to think about the hope that so many slaves used as fuel for survival, and I can't think of any other way to define that hope but in terms of idealism. In the face of what was in front of the last of them(generations of enslavement), many managed to envision freedom and a new day, to the degree to which it was within their mind's grasp as a potential reality. There were few cohesive plans for survival, and little idea of where anyone would be housed, or how they would legitimately make a living; yet ultimately, they lived and died to hopefully see that day, bring what may.

I figured this using the old temperament system, where it seems most of my family and people on the job are what is known as Melancholy. And then, ISTJ seems to fit (matching the correlation I made between the two systems), because most of them are so orderly, externally logical, and have these sharp memories (can remember everything I ever did wrong). Yet I hear of other people here alnd elsewhere talking about a wide variety of types in their family, work, etc. and I often wonder if it is realistic for me to be so surrounded by this one type. But apprently, it is true.

I tend to go along with type/temperament being inborn, but of couse, that is not absolutely certain. If it is developed from the environment, then it would make sense that AA's would be ISTJ, because that perhaps is the best type for survival in slavery, and the rest of discrimination after that.
You can see the corresponding "Melancholy" profile here: The Melancholy Temperament ("Inclusion" is the IST part of it, and "Control" is the SJ).
Notice, the main thread of this temperament is "independence".

The I's would have less problems from the slavemaster, while the E's probably get more in trouble. Especially "Choleric" types like ENTJ. They were deliberately dumbed down, and the main focus was survival, so there would be a leaning towards S over N with its imagination. They also became very traditional, with their pain and survival expressed through arts associated with memories (books, plays, etc we have seen over the decades).
T would be extraverted (J), because again, you're only doing what you have to to survive. So they learned to be tough, and directive, though again, not very initiating or pragmatic about it. So they turn it on themselves, their families, etc. F would then be introverted, and tertiary, as they had to draw their self-worth and strength from "within" often through stuff like religion.

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Source
That's just the abstract. Has the study been completed yet and do we know the results?