User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

Results 81 to 90 of 117

  1. #81
    now! in shell form INA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    intp
    Posts
    3,198

    Default

    EP & IJ are annoying because they relay information to you with ALL of those little irrelevancies added in and get sooo irate when you skip over some of them, knowing them to be irrelevant.

    IP & EJ are sooo annoying becuase they throw out some information without ever really thinking about it. They don't even consider it. That makes all their conclusions based on information that's full of holes.
    What??
    Where do you get this from?
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

  2. #82
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IF3157 View Post
    What??
    Where do you get this from?
    I'd say personal experience but that sounds self aggradising.

    There's a thread about it somewhere I believe it was after the ten thousandth argument with my ENFP buddy where he accused me of not listening and my resulting confusion as I'd been meticulously listening and had mentally made note of all "relevant" information.

    Comine that experience with my father's description of how an INTJ thinks, which is basically they take a walk through all the information and come up with their answer whilst walking, and I got to thinking about this pattern.

    Would you say it is untrue?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  3. #83
    now! in shell form INA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    intp
    Posts
    3,198

    Default

    Wait, do you only mean the NF varieties? My bad. I thought you meant I_Ps, etc. generally . . .
    Still, the INFJs I know don't overload me with irrelevant details. Au contraire; sometimes it is like pulling teeth to get them to explain the path to their conclusions.
    And ENFJs can have what I call selective superior grasp of external, supporting detail, so I am hesitant to agree that they throw out information without really thinking about it.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

  4. #84
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IF3157 View Post
    Wait, do you only mean the NF varieties? My bad. I thought you meant I_Ps, etc. generally . . .
    Still, the INFJs I know don't overload me with irrelevant details. Au contraire; sometimes it is like pulling teeth to get them to explain the path to their conclusions.
    And ENFJs can have what I call selective superior grasp of external, supporting detail, so I am hesitant to agree that they throw out information without really thinking about it.
    No. All varieties.

    ESTP missus will tell you how her day went in great detail
    ENFP mate will go through large amounts of detail, which I assume is meant just for illustration only to be told off later for "not listening".
    ENTJ father will give you only the crux of the matter and will ignore anything he considers irrelevant.
    INTJ mate will often pull me up for some "irrelevant" detail which I missed.
    INFP friend won't really bother if I "cut things down to size".
    ENFJ pal finds it helpful that I cut out the details and get to the point and will do likewise in return.

    EJ and IP have the judging function first.
    Have you never noticed that you tend to skip things which you consider "irrelevant"?
    Have you never been pulled up on missing out things which seemed like details to you but are apparently important in some way?

    Oh and last mention, ENTP friend can get lost on some detail, including it where I consider it irrelevant, and objects most strongly when I discard it out of hand.

    It's a pattern I've seen... or one I've placed and then matched the data to... never can properly seperate those two
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  5. #85
    now! in shell form INA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    intp
    Posts
    3,198

    Default

    Then it seems wildly off-base. Take INTP for example. The type description and dominant Ti supported by Ne is counter to throwing out information without really thinking about it. As a matter of fact, it's an INTP trait to withhold conclusions until something has been analyzed. Think first, talk later. So "they don't even consider it" seems odd for a type whose hallmark is analyzing stuff to see how it fits. I can see how they would fail to talk about somehting they don't see as acentral principle to how something ticks, but I disagree that this is because they do not "really consider it". Maybe they considered it too much.

    INTJ efficiency dislikes repetitiveness and lack of precision - use of lots of irrelevant, extraneous detail seems counter to that. However, if they have made a connection to something else using their dominant Ni supported by Te, then a "natural implication" or the next step may be all too obvious to them (and therefore worthy of inclusion), while to others this next piece that is so intuitively connected in the view of the INTJ is mere "irrelevant detail". Meanwhile their economy of expression works against explaining why it is that this apparently extraneous detail is in fact relevant.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

  6. #86
    Senior Member Gen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    IP & EJ are sooo annoying becuase they throw out some information without ever really thinking about it. They don't even consider it. That makes all their conclusions based on information that's full of holes.
    QFT

  7. #87
    Senior Member mlittrell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Posts
    1,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    In response to both (I realise that's a little offhand but I believe that one statement can be applied equally to both points).

    ENFP vs INFP.
    Okay so the first two functions are reversed. Big whoop? Well yes because it's less to do with how the functions are arranged and more to do with the differences between the two types.

    If you firstly gather information sucking it up like a vacuum and then sort through it to make your ideas then it's probable that you're first function is either S or N. Ergo you're an EP or an IJ.

    EP & IJ are annoying because they relay information to you with ALL of those little irrelevancies added in and get sooo irate when you skip over some of them, knowing them to be irrelevant.

    IP & EJ are sooo annoying becuase they throw out some information without ever really thinking about it. They don't even consider it. That makes all their conclusions based on information that's full of holes.
    uhhh lol

    i like the idea of the first function being S or N for that case...then again, i know, for example an ESTJ (Te dominant) who constantly shovels information out with all the irrelevancies. Me, I'm an ENFP (that EP your talking about), and I'm about as vague as you can possibly get (as many ENXP's tend to be).

    When I first got into MBTI, I typed myself as an INFP. Over time, I started to realize that I am not an INFP but an ENFP. Thing is, I have many similarites to an INFP. In fact, the way I see INFP's is me when I'm by myself (Fi) and floating around in my own mind, and many of the INFPisms apply to me in that case. The same is true for my ENTP friend.

    It just seems to depend on how strong your functions are.

    I like the idea though. Good call.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

    "You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

    "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

    Mahatma Gandhi

    Enneagram: 9w1

  8. #88
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IF3157 View Post
    Then it seems wildly off-base. Take INTP for example. The type description and dominant Ti supported by Ne is counter to throwing out information without really thinking about it. As a matter of fact, it's an INTP trait to withhold conclusions until something has been analyzed. Think first, talk later. So "they don't even consider it" seems odd for a type whose hallmark is analyzing stuff to see how it fits. I can see how they would fail to talk about somehting they don't see as central principle to how something ticks, but I disagree that this is because they do not "really consider it". Maybe they considered it too much.

    INTJ efficiency dislikes repetitiveness and lack of precision - use of lots of irrelevant, extraneous detail seems counter to that. However, if they have made a connection to something else using their dominant Ni supported by Te, then a "natural implication" or the next step may be all too obvious to them (and therefore worthy of inclusion), while to others this next piece that is so intuitively connected in the view of the INTJ is mere "irrelevant detail". Meanwhile their economy of expression works against explaining why it is that this apparently extraneous detail is in fact relevant.
    Don't you think that's more J versus P?

    INTJs inmy experience do wander through things to establish their point of view, hence how they have prepared arguments about why they didn't take course A or B and chose C overall. What they do is throw out things they find to be irrelevant after they have sucked in the information.. it just looks different cause when an INTJ decides it's irrelevant it gets thrown into the stratosphere (and that's only because they can't be bothered to throw it all the way into the sun to be destroyed ).

    INTPs, on the other hand, work more on the principle of "this is correct but I don't believe it to be perfect, ergo I may reconsider later". The thing to watch for is trying to persuade an INTP of a new resolution. It's like pulling teeth. Each piece of information given to them must pass muster with the Ti before the Ne even gets hold of it to see how or if it fits into the larger picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gen View Post
    QFT
    Good thing we don't do that anymore eh?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  9. #89
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mlittrell View Post
    uhhh lol

    i like the idea of the first function being S or N for that case...then again, i know, for example an ESTJ (Te dominant) who constantly shovels information out with all the irrelevancies. Me, I'm an ENFP (that EP your talking about), and I'm about as vague as you can possibly get (as many ENXP's tend to be).
    Speak to the ESTJ and you'll find lots of reasons why these details are relevant. Of course you'll probably disagree with the reasoning but that's not the point.

    Now try the same with an ESTP. Sometimes they have no idea why it's relevant but it's important anyhow...

    Most confusing in a relationship
    Quote Originally Posted by mlittrell View Post
    When I first got into MBTI, I typed myself as an INFP. Over time, I started to realize that I am not an INFP but an ENFP. Thing is, I have many similarites to an INFP. In fact, the way I see INFP's is me when I'm by myself (Fi) and floating around in my own mind, and many of the INFPisms apply to me in that case. The same is true for my ENTP friend.
    I think that's common. I find lots of similarities with my ENTP friend (I don't have any INTPs to hand ).
    Quote Originally Posted by mlittrell View Post
    It just seems to depend on how strong your functions are.
    I think the strength of the preferance does help. A stronger preferance leads to a clearer picture. I'm just not a great believer in people merrily wandering around the types claiming to be more than one. It irritates my definition of preferance. Either you're one or the other, as a whole.

    Hell I'm an INTP and yet I can do ENTJ and ESFJ quite well... it doesn't make me an XXXX. I still prefer INTP.
    Quote Originally Posted by mlittrell View Post
    I like the idea though. Good call.
    Tanks
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  10. #90
    now! in shell form INA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    intp
    Posts
    3,198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Don't you think that's more J versus P?

    INTJs inmy experience do wander through things to establish their point of view, hence how they have prepared arguments about why they didn't take course A or B and chose C overall. What they do is throw out things they find to be irrelevant after they have sucked in the information.. it just looks different cause when an INTJ decides it's irrelevant it gets thrown into the stratosphere (and that's only because they can't be bothered to throw it all the way into the sun to be destroyed )
    Don't I think analysis before expression is more J v. P? Not solely, no. INTJ is more forward looking, yes. I agree that INTJs seem to have wandered through to a more conclusive report. But I think that's more a function of the INTP's Ne convincing the INTP "there's more info out there and I'll modify as I get it" rather than an "I didn't think about it, but let me tell you about it" sort of thing.


    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    INTPs, on the other hand, work more on the principle of "this is correct but I don't believe it to be perfect, ergo I may reconsider later". The thing to watch for is trying to persuade an INTP of a new resolution. It's like pulling teeth. Each piece of information given to them must pass muster with the Ti before the Ne even gets hold of it to see how or if it fits into the larger picture.
    Exactly! How is it going to pass muster if they "don't even consider it" before they convey it to you? Some things never get off the ground because the INTP already poked holes in it before relaying it to you. It doesn't mean they are stuck with it if they put it out there or that they think that's the final say. In fact, they will continue to refine it even after they've thrown it out there. However, they don't refine by throwing it out there without thinking about it first. That is un-INTP . . . sounds more ENTPish.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Similar Threads

  1. [Jung] Some Types Happier In Jobs, Make More Money Than Others
    By highlander in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-13-2015, 02:21 AM
  2. [NT] Defining Moments in the making of an NT.
    By ladypinkington in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 136
    Last Post: 07-15-2012, 06:42 PM
  3. Help in typing few people
    By alcea rosea in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-01-2007, 10:38 PM
  4. Differences in type descriptions
    By Maverick in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-28-2007, 04:04 PM
  5. Gender Bias in Type Identification / Interrelating
    By ptgatsby in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-24-2007, 05:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO