User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Loneliness

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tayshaun View Post
    This would make Ns with a hypothetically large network of N friends, colleagues, family members and neighbors less likely to feel lonely. Can loneliness mainly be defined as not fitting with the dominant currents of society and go hand in hand with a feeling of alienation (society is the main contributor rather than existential angst)?
    For the record, I am plenty alieNated at work where everyone else is S. Can that be frustrating? Yes. Do I miss having N coworkers and superiors? Yes. Does it make me lonely? No.

Don't blame society for not being predominantly compatible with you. Make the effort to go out and find some people who are.

(Sorry if I'm reading blameshifting into your post that isn't really there. My Ni is acting up today and Te is tagging along. )

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    An Introverted Sensor would probably prefer to be alone or one-on-one. But when a Sensor is lonely, he/she probably has a better and more realistic understanding on how to get out of loneliness.

I think a lonely Intuitive is more under the thought that they expect life to magically bring them a friend.
    Or maybe since a Sensor lives in the concrete and tangible, a relationship feels deep simply when you do things with someone, talk to them about anything, and can articulate feelings about them?

An iNtuitive can do all of those things and be completely unsatisfied if the intangible connection is never made.

I think it's more of what each type can sense, what each considers a meaningful relationship, and so on.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFj
    Enneagram
    2w3

I think most people either S/N experience loneliness at one point or another. I have often wondered though if it's for different reasons due to this. Out of the ENFJ profile since it appears that someone has interest:
    The ENFJ may feel quite lonely even when surrounded by people. This feeling of aloneness may be exacerbated by the tendency to not reveal their true selves.
    I have lots of people in my life but feel lonely quite a bit of the time and have pretty much as long as I can remember. I came to the internet in search of other intuitives to help squelch that feeling. I have met very few N's IRL and I keep wondering where the hell they all are!! I have only met one N that I know of since I moved. He's a sort-of odd seeming INFJ, but I can't talk to him because his GF always 'gives ' when I come near him!
    "At points of clarity, I realize that my life on earth is meaningless, and that I am merely a pawn in a bigger game. A game I cannot possibly understand or have control of. Thankfully, before depression sets in, I drift back into my cloudy, bewildered daily routine." **Joel Patrick Warneke**

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Personal experience with loneliness:

*When others have been readily available to have deep conversation with (and I should note that I had plenty of Ns around at this point in my life, and even two INTJs both male and female) I was very often both with others and alone, and never lonely.
    *When I have to make the conscious effort to find people (mostly due to physical distance) I generally don't make the effort as much as I probably should. And I feel very lonely. I don't think I notice it until it's really bugging me, and then my eyes are opened and I feel moderately trapped and depressed and it either takes
    a) a few weeks/months of conscious effort to go out and see people repeatedly and have some sort of human connection or
    b) a commitment that causes me to have human connection and it gets the ball rolling.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I think a friend is the same kind of material desire as a Plasma TV or a gaming computer. They are basically there to make people feel secure.

The only difference is that people look at friendship as a "beautiful" thing while pursuit of property is "shallow" and "materialistic." Really, I see no difference -- they are both worldly things that people want.

Enneagram
    1w2

I think a friend is the same kind of material desire as a Plasma TV or a gaming computer. They are basically there to make people feel secure.

The only difference is that people look at friendship as a "beautiful" thing while pursuit of property is "shallow" and "materialistic." Really, I see no difference -- they are both worldly things that people want.
    A plasma TV can't reciprocate or offer you support. They can't even cuss you out yet!

MBTI
    type

Really, I see no difference -- they are both worldly things that people want.
    Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    A plasma TV can't reciprocate or offer you support. They can't even cuss you out yet!
    Plasma TVs can't send you s about Uranus, either, UF.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Sure they reciprocate, I push the power button, they give me images!

A book is also a great friend. It offers support if your willing to pay a few bucks. You can learn so much more from a book than you can from a friend. Sure a person writes the book, but you don't like the person, you like the things he writes.

And let's not forget an Xbox. You push a button and the AI does exactly what it's told! Moreover, if you put new batteries in the controller, then the buttons on the controller will work.

If you tell a human to do something for you, there's always the chance they'll say "No." If you tell a machine to do something for you, they always say "Yes." And if they screw up, it's because the human who programmed it screwed up!

More likely, it is people who basically try to deprive you of your enjoyment by telling you to get away from the computer and so forth. A person is more likely to control your thinking. Yes, people will control your thinking through through the telly, but this is where the power button on the remote comes in handy.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by rivercrow View Post
    Plasma TVs can't send you s about Uranus, either, UF.
    But a computer can, if I tell it to!

MBTI
    type

But a computer can, if I tell it to!
    Building that randomizing feature is a bugger, tho. How often do you say, "I love Uranus, <insertnamehere>"?
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.