123 Last

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Default How do types perceive IQ tests?

Greetings!

Well, I'm not here to discuss if there is a correlation between types and high IQ, as this has already been discussed before (see here: -> http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...-type-i-q.html)
    No, I would rather be curious to see how various types perceive what IQ really is, what this test means for them, and how eventually they fantasize or describe it.

So far, when I wander on several MBTI fora, I've noticed these trends:

1- Amongst the NTs, ENTPs are the ones who care the least about IQ: According to a thread we had on ENTP.org several months ago, most of them would immediatley claim it's complete BS, and most of the time with good reasons (according to my own point of view too).

2- On the other hand, the INTJ forum seems litteraly obsessed with IQ scores, especially when they need to brag about it. It's like a kind of religion, they seem to develop a special faith into IQs.
    This is somewhat perplexing because a lot of so-called INTJs use wrong datas, or obviously lie like dogs when it comes to their real IQ. The average score they pretend to achieve is just statistically impossible (1). And moreover, a lot seem to believe very strongly to an unchecked and very unreliable source claiming that INTJs would have the best IQs overall (Even if this contradicts the only real scientific study made on this subject).

3- On INFP-GC, IQ scores seem both a fascinating and repulsive subject. Some brag, some don't, it's quite even.

4- INTP's attitude seem to be a mix of the three previous cases. Some are complete sceptics (just like their Extroverted brethrens), but some enjoy to display vastly exaggerated scores, and may react very angrily when you contradict them (just like an INTJ would).

---

Of course, there is some debate amongst the INTJs, because we all know that a lot of the people who are on the INTJ forum aren't real INTJs, but people who, for a reason or another, fantasize about INTJ's alleged smartness, and hence, want to be part of them.
    In my opinion, a true INTJ would never ever dare to display an unchecked data as an undisputable proof, or pretend not to notice how insane and unbelievable most of their claims are. But anyway, the debate remains open.

---

So, how do you perceive IQs? How do you think your type would perceive it, and why? How does this perception affect type, according to you?
    Why are so many so-called "INTJs" awful liars when it comes to IQ (even if this contradicts their type description)?
    According to your own opinion, what are the psychological reasons behind this odd behaviour? How could you explain it?

---

(1) Humiliating Jezebel on this subject was quite entertaining, indeed. This had convinced me that even INTJs can have a very irrational side, when some refuse mathematical evidences with the last drop of energy.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

Just a side remark: I don't think the INTP's position is that random, it just depends on the score they got... (intellectual macho's)
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by mippus View Post
    Just a side remark: I don't think the INTP's position is that random, it just depends on the score they got... (intellectual macho's)
    Probably!!!
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I guess IQ as a normal distributed probability measurement of the performance of the brain is definitly a Te thing.

But and that contradicts to my theory, I found intrest in that topic in iNFj aswell. There would be a Ni - Se connection there.

Further study is needed here
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by mippus View Post
    The INTPs I know are all very intelligent. One taught himself to read at 3, and scored 156 on IQ tests.

He doesn't feel particularly smart, however.

Back to the main point, this INFJ (who has a high IQ score too), does not place much value on IQ as a determinant of probable intellectual/academic achievement, but as an indicator of probable issues.

High IQ folk have a disproportionate amount of psychological problems, chief among them depression, anxiety, etc. Children with high IQs require a lot of monitoring of emotional problems as well as academic stimulation to continue to do well in school.

I don't view IQ as an "achievement" or something to be "proud of." God knows some of the ones who have accomplished the most in this world have *not* been gifted, but have been smart and hard working.
    Hugs,

Jen
    ~~~~~~~~
    "We must apply our humble efforts to build a more just and humane world. I want to affirm emphatically: such a world is possible. To create this new society we must reach out our hands, without hatred and rancour, for reconciliation and peace, with unfaltering determination in the defense of truth and justice. We know we cannot plant seeds with closed fists. To sow we must open our hands."

~Adolfo Esquivel

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    I guess IQ as a normal distributed probability measurement of the performance of the brain is definitly a Te thing.

But and that contradicts to my theory, I found intrest in that topic in iNFj aswell. There would be a Ni - Se connection there.

Further study is needed here
    According to the only reliable statistic we have so far, high IQ seems slightly correlated to iNtuitives. But there's almost no difference between F and T types, nothing significant (in fact, Feelers seem to have a very, very tiny advantage!! ).

But I think you mean that Te-types would especially be attracted to concepts like IQ?

7w8 SCUxI

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I appreciate intellect but I especially value insight and ingenuity.

Creative geniuses tend not to score especially high on IQ tests.

Lastly, I'm never impressed by one's IQ, instead, or rather, I am impressed by one's *actual* intellect, granted the two *may* be correlated, but that correlation I'm not too interested in.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INFJ

Nicely put--I agree.
    Hugs,

Jen
    ~~~~~~~~
    "We must apply our humble efforts to build a more just and humane world. I want to affirm emphatically: such a world is possible. To create this new society we must reach out our hands, without hatred and rancour, for reconciliation and peace, with unfaltering determination in the defense of truth and justice. We know we cannot plant seeds with closed fists. To sow we must open our hands."

~Adolfo Esquivel

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

The original purpose of IQ was to be a predictor for which children would be successful as adults. Since then they have shown that there is a correlation between IQ and success, but it is not the only factor, nor is it even the most important factor. Therefore I wouldn't say that an IQ score is totally meaningless, but I would say that the concept is outdated.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Did they throw away the children that got low IQ's ?
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]