• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do types perceive IQ tests?

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Greetings!

Well, I'm not here to discuss if there is a correlation between types and high IQ, as this has already been discussed before (see here: -> http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/other-psychology-topics/1731-mbti-type-i-q.html)
No, I would rather be curious to see how various types perceive what IQ really is, what this test means for them, and how eventually they fantasize or describe it.

So far, when I wander on several MBTI fora, I've noticed these trends:

1- Amongst the NTs, ENTPs are the ones who care the least about IQ: According to a thread we had on ENTP.org several months ago, most of them would immediatley claim it's complete BS, and most of the time with good reasons (according to my own point of view too).

2- On the other hand, the INTJ forum seems litteraly obsessed with IQ scores, especially when they need to brag about it. It's like a kind of religion, they seem to develop a special faith into IQs.
This is somewhat perplexing because a lot of so-called INTJs use wrong datas, or obviously lie like dogs when it comes to their real IQ. The average score they pretend to achieve is just statistically impossible (1). And moreover, a lot seem to believe very strongly to an unchecked and very unreliable source claiming that INTJs would have the best IQs overall (Even if this contradicts the only real scientific study made on this subject).

3- On INFP-GC, IQ scores seem both a fascinating and repulsive subject. Some brag, some don't, it's quite even.

4- INTP's attitude seem to be a mix of the three previous cases. Some are complete sceptics (just like their Extroverted brethrens), but some enjoy to display vastly exaggerated scores, and may react very angrily when you contradict them (just like an INTJ would).

---

Of course, there is some debate amongst the INTJs, because we all know that a lot of the people who are on the INTJ forum aren't real INTJs, but people who, for a reason or another, fantasize about INTJ's alleged smartness, and hence, want to be part of them.
In my opinion, a true INTJ would never ever dare to display an unchecked data as an undisputable proof, or pretend not to notice how insane and unbelievable most of their claims are. But anyway, the debate remains open.

---

So, how do you perceive IQs? How do you think your type would perceive it, and why? How does this perception affect type, according to you?
Why are so many so-called "INTJs" awful liars when it comes to IQ (even if this contradicts their type description)?
According to your own opinion, what are the psychological reasons behind this odd behaviour? How could you explain it?

---

(1) Humiliating Jezebel on this subject was quite entertaining, indeed. :harhar: This had convinced me that even INTJs can have a very irrational side, when some refuse mathematical evidences with the last drop of energy.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
Just a side remark: I don't think the INTP's position is that random, it just depends on the score they got... (intellectual macho's)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I guess IQ as a normal distributed probability measurement of the performance of the brain is definitly a Te thing.

But and that contradicts to my theory, I found intrest in that topic in iNFj aswell. There would be a Ni - Se connection there.

Further study is needed here :)

sophiedoph

MBTI Type
INFJ
Just a side remark: I don't think the INTP's position is that random, it just depends on the score they got... (intellectual macho's)

The INTPs I know are all very intelligent. One taught himself to read at 3, and scored 156 on IQ tests.

He doesn't feel particularly smart, however.

Back to the main point, this INFJ (who has a high IQ score too), does not place much value on IQ as a determinant of probable intellectual/academic achievement, but as an indicator of probable issues.

High IQ folk have a disproportionate amount of psychological problems, chief among them depression, anxiety, etc. Children with high IQs require a lot of monitoring of emotional problems as well as academic stimulation to continue to do well in school.

I don't view IQ as an "achievement" or something to be "proud of." God knows some of the ones who have accomplished the most in this world have *not* been gifted, but have been smart and hard working.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I guess IQ as a normal distributed probability measurement of the performance of the brain is definitly a Te thing.

But and that contradicts to my theory, I found intrest in that topic in iNFj aswell. There would be a Ni - Se connection there.

Further study is needed here :)

According to the only reliable statistic we have so far, high IQ seems slightly correlated to iNtuitives. But there's almost no difference between F and T types, nothing significant (in fact, Feelers seem to have a very, very tiny advantage!! :D).

But I think you mean that Te-types would especially be attracted to concepts like IQ?

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I appreciate intellect but I especially value insight and ingenuity.

Creative geniuses tend not to score especially high on IQ tests.

Lastly, I'm never impressed by one's IQ, instead, or rather, I am impressed by one's *actual* intellect, granted the two *may* be correlated, but that correlation I'm not too interested in.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
The original purpose of IQ was to be a predictor for which children would be successful as adults. Since then they have shown that there is a correlation between IQ and success, but it is not the only factor, nor is it even the most important factor. Therefore I wouldn't say that an IQ score is totally meaningless, but I would say that the concept is outdated.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Did they throw away the children that got low IQ's ?

Didums

IQ is not an accurate measure of Intelligence as a whole but is definitely an indicator of 'giftedness' in the subjects that it does cover.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
As for my opinion, I'd say IQ tests are an accurate measure... on how you are able to pass IQ tests. :D

They do measure something, but it is really "intelligence" or "giftedness"?

Didums

As for my opinion, I'd say IQ tests are an accurate measure... on how you are able to pass IQ tests. :D

Yep, just how like School is an accurate measure of how well you can do in School :)

There is a positive correlation in that people with higher IQs usually have more intellectually straining jobs but it doesn't mean that there can't be exceptions to the trend. I'm still not sure whether it can or can't be a definite indicator of a higher level of intellect, I think one would have to take a leap of faith to go to either side of the argument. Correlation does not imply causation (high iq may very well come from doing intellectually straining jobs instead of the high iq making you go to the job in the first place, or a combination of both, who knows).

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
Well..I have an average IQ, I hate it when people "brag", there is nothing wrong with being smart, I understand that they're proud but some show it repeatedly so that we "won't forget"...xD.."we get it", we're happy for you.
I think EQs should be raised, though :).

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've never taken and IQ test, and I really have no motivation to. It doesn't measure intelligence - it measures how you were raised to think. Scores go up every year, and not because we're getting smarter. They're going up because that method of thinking is becoming more and more ingrained in our society.

I'm not sure if my distrust of it (based on an article I read about it) is an SJ thing or not. Any other SJs agree?

EDIT:

Well, you seem to have made my point before me... I guess this post was meaningless. :blush:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Just did an IQ test, for the first time in my life. Look I am a genius xD

l150.gif

Free IQ Test - IQ Test Score

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Of course, IQ tests measure how well you do on IQ tests and tasks that are similar to IQ tests. I'm not sure they can predict anything else.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
That I will put in my signature, gonna get some girls with this :D

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
IQ tests have been proven to be culturally biased and such, and if a test can be skewed on something like culture and such I'm not so sure that it's an accurate measure of much except for the test taker's test taking ability. And success on an IQ test certainly doesn't translate to success in real life in any manner- being hard working or motivated and such also play as big or a bigger role in that.

Basically- IQ tests are just another way to sort and rank people, sort of like phrenology :rolli:

I score well, but I credit that to the fact that I associate standardized tests with food and LOVE taking them because of it :doh:

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Well, again, we seem to have a quick consensus amongst ENTPs (just like we had on ENTP.org)... I'm not that surprised, as ENTPs usually tend to criticize any normative systems, and IQ tests sure are one. Ne-Ti is a very destructive/sarcastic axis, as much as it is enthusiastic/creative.

But I would be curious to listen what the other side has to say. And, if possible, which functions are involved. There are people who enjoy IQ tests; let's see why...
The object of this thread is not to criticize their preference, but to understand it, how it is so.