• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do types perceive IQ tests?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Now that's a smart answer. But if you ask this question on INTJ-f, most people will tell you that INTJs never lie, as they are supposed to be "the most objective" type.

Stop confusing INTJs with INTPs. We look similar, but we're not that similar.

alicia91

I don't care at all about IQ scores, I value what people do with the talents which they were given.

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
If I know you IQ is high I will probably bust your ass if you don't bust your ass.

S

Sniffles

I have a general problem with the whole philosophical underpinnings behind the concept of IQ tests: namely that human intellectual abilities can actually be quantitatively measured on a standardized level.

This is a very flawed understanding of human nature, born out of the general notions of standardization and positivistic scientism that developed during the Industrial revolution(which of course is the era that intelligence testing began). I could go on endlessly on this subject, but frankly I'm too intellectually exhausted to do so.

As far as MBTI and IQ is concerned; MBTI seems to show me the numerous fallacies of IQ testing, or rather the over-reliance of it. Different types have different abilities of comprehending the world, which seems more compatible with the notion of multiple intelligences. Humanity is so much more multi-faceted in its nature.

IQ measures one form of intelligence(Mathematical-logical), and has relevance in that regards. But determining one's overall mental capacities(much less the worth of a human person, as Bell Curve fanatics often do) based on IQ is simply absurd. As people have already pointed out, numerous great minds have tested poorly on these tests - especially more creative minds.

There's also the philosophical issue of is life a mystery or a problem? If life is a mystery, then the notion of IQ seems irrelevant. If life is a problem, then IQ is very important. Again, I could rant on about this, but I'm too tired.

Anyways....that's just my random incoherent two cents. :redface:

Blackmail, your posts on the INTJ obsession with IQ are pure gold. :D

I would agree that people most often obseseed with IQ are usually INTJs. However, I will point out that not all INTJs are obsessed with IQ.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
All I think IQ tests are good for is determining how well you completed the IQ test. If I want to test "intelligence" I'd probably test your ability to comprehend and apply an array of concepts.

Actually that may be what an IQ test is. I've never taken one...

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
IQ tests are best for kids below the age of 9 before they're too socialized (esp. girls), and of course, it's only testing a certain type of intelligence, but there is still some degree of reliability to it in that context. To be honest, my life is probably better due to IQ tests. From personal experience, I have no hatred towards it.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I believe that IQ tests are an indication of one's ability to perform academically, but not in real life situations.

In other words, having a high IQ means that you're likely to do well in school, using certain kinds of logic, and at taking other standardized tests if you focus, but it doesn't necessarily mean you'll do well at a job or anything else you attempt.

My IQ is above average... about 120-130, IIRC.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I believe that IQ tests are an indication of one's ability to perform academically, but not in real life situations.

In other words, having a high IQ means that you're likely to do well in school, using certain kinds of logic, and at taking other standardized tests if you focus, but it doesn't necessarily mean you'll do well at a job or anything else you attempt.

bravo

Ishida

MBTI Type
INTJ
I've somewhat come to the similar conclusion that it only shows how well you do on IQ tests. I say somewhat because that's not how I derive people's worth, and I don't care all that much. But who knows, even I've taken one.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
For the people who said the IQ tests we have aren't a good measure of intelligence: do you have any other tests/methods in mind that are better and more accurate at estimating intelligence?

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i recall hearing from the mouths of esteemed geniuses such as Einstein and others that true genius is immeasurable
makes sense to me.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
What is a measure?

The thing is not the measure of the thing.
The IQ is a measure of what you have already.
What is the measure of what you have already?
It is the clock.

A reflection does not measure.
Reflection is pure semantics.

Semantics is about meaning. A stand by.
Understanding is a stop in the clock.

The meaning is beyond the measure.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What is a measure?

It is the clock.

It seems the cats got my tongue

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
What's IQ?

I will put a challenge out there to whoever got the highest score on this IQ test thing.

You take a trip here and we'll put together two piles of the exact same random items as follows:

3 steel rims in three different sizes.
1 Hood from a 1977 Saab
1 Tire iron
59' of 3" channel iron
75' of 3/8" aircraft cable
100 assorted grade 8 bolts
15 railroad spikes
A wire feed welder

You and the ENTP with the lowest score have 3 hours to figure out how to make something that will lift a semi truck 14 inches off the ground. Additionally you have to simultaneously take a test with questions such as:

How many tiles were in the ceiling of the hotel you slept in last night?

The soap in the bathroom was made by a division of what company?

What deficiencies did you notice in the way the hotel was run that were eating into their profits?

On the way here there was a blue car in from of you, what was the licenses plate number?

Additionally you must change a babies diaper, put together an Office Max desk (WITHOUT Directions), get the girl across the street watchings phone number and bake a batch of cookies for the film crew.

Point is, to an ENTP if you can do that (I'm pretty sure an ENTP is the only one that could) you're huge IQ is worthless!

To bash on us some if we had to sit still and study (3 hours worth) for a test on a topic we hated we couldn't do it to save our lives.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
The soap in the bathroom was made by a division of what company?

What deficiencies did you notice in the way the hotel was run that were eating into their profits?

On the way here there was a blue car in from of you, what was the licenses plate number?

Additionally you must change a babies diaper, put together an Office Max desk (WITHOUT Directions), get the girl across the street watchings phone number and bake a batch of cookies for the film crew.

Wow. I do all of these. I am constantly looking at labels to figure out what products belong to which conglomerates. I was at my Dad's recently where I noticed that the Pert he has in his shower is no longer made by P&G only licensed by another company.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
I think it has relevance but should not be taken as seriously as they are. I find them to be somewhat destructive in the effect they have on society. First off, most people don't seem to realize that there is more than one type of intelligence. This in and of itself is quite dangerous. People figure that IQ covers the whole spectrum of intelligence. So when people take IQ tests and they come up with a low IQ they figure that they are stupid because of the high relevance of IQ in society. No. Not good. This person might be very highly intelligent but just not in what the IQ test is testing in. But because people don't realize that there is more then one intelligence they figure that they are just dumb and don't go to college, or get discouraged from learning new things, and may make life changing decisions based solely off of this one test. I've personally seen peoples lives become ruined only because of this test, and yet these people are extremely intelligent. I personally did quite well on both IQ and EQ but those people might have more worth in society then I, yet they are throwing their lives away all because of a simple number. If someone asks your IQ and you say it is low, many people will even look down on you or view you as less of a person. But if you say your IQ is genius level high, they will respect and regard your opinion quite a bit more. Don't get me wrong, IQ has its place, but it shouldn't be taken as seriously as it is. You can't be a dummy and get a high IQ, but just because your IQ is low doesn't mean your worthless, even in an intellectual setting.

Kora

MBTI Type
ENTP
The classic IQ tests seem more focused in the Logical-Mathematical intelligence. I like to do some because I enjoy that kind of mental exercise. I don't care much about my results, as I don't think I'm really gifted.
I value intelligence in people, and IQ can be a guide, but in the end the numbers doesn't matter. It's the clever, creative or visionary people who really strikes me as intelligent.

What is a measure?

It is the clock.

You mean one's intelligence evolves with time? Or, even, that we can't really measure one's intelligence?