First 4567 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I believe that IQ tests are an indication of one's ability to perform academically, but not in real life situations.

In other words, having a high IQ means that you're likely to do well in school, using certain kinds of logic, and at taking other standardized tests if you focus, but it doesn't necessarily mean you'll do well at a job or anything else you attempt.
    bravo
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    INTJ

I've somewhat come to the similar conclusion that it only shows how well you do on IQ tests. I say somewhat because that's not how I derive people's worth, and I don't care all that much. But who knows, even I've taken one.
    What a waste of life..

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

For the people who said the IQ tests we have aren't a good measure of intelligence: do you have any other tests/methods in mind that are better and more accurate at estimating intelligence?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

i recall hearing from the mouths of esteemed geniuses such as Einstein and others that true genius is immeasurable
    makes sense to me.
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    INTP

What is a measure?

The thing is not the measure of the thing.
    The IQ is a measure of what you have already.
    What is the measure of what you have already?
    It is the clock.

A reflection does not measure.
    Reflection is pure semantics.

Semantics is about meaning. A stand by.
    Understanding is a stop in the clock.

The meaning is beyond the measure.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    What is a measure?

It is the clock.

It seems the cats got my tongue
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

What's IQ?

I will put a challenge out there to whoever got the highest score on this IQ test thing.

You take a trip here and we'll put together two piles of the exact same random items as follows:

3 steel rims in three different sizes.
    1 Hood from a 1977 Saab
    1 Tire iron
    59' of 3" channel iron
    75' of 3/8" aircraft cable
    100 assorted grade 8 bolts
    15 railroad spikes
    A wire feed welder

You and the ENTP with the lowest score have 3 hours to figure out how to make something that will lift a semi truck 14 inches off the ground. Additionally you have to simultaneously take a test with questions such as:

How many tiles were in the ceiling of the hotel you slept in last night?

The soap in the bathroom was made by a division of what company?

What deficiencies did you notice in the way the hotel was run that were eating into their profits?

On the way here there was a blue car in from of you, what was the licenses plate number?

Additionally you must change a babies diaper, put together an Office Max desk (WITHOUT Directions), get the girl across the street watchings phone number and bake a batch of cookies for the film crew.

Point is, to an ENTP if you can do that (I'm pretty sure an ENTP is the only one that could) you're huge IQ is worthless!

To bash on us some if we had to sit still and study (3 hours worth) for a test on a topic we hated we couldn't do it to save our lives.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by TucsonENTP View Post
    The soap in the bathroom was made by a division of what company?

What deficiencies did you notice in the way the hotel was run that were eating into their profits?

On the way here there was a blue car in from of you, what was the licenses plate number?

Additionally you must change a babies diaper, put together an Office Max desk (WITHOUT Directions), get the girl across the street watchings phone number and bake a batch of cookies for the film crew.
    Wow. I do all of these. I am constantly looking at labels to figure out what products belong to which conglomerates. I was at my Dad's recently where I noticed that the Pert he has in his shower is no longer made by P&G only licensed by another company.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I think it has relevance but should not be taken as seriously as they are. I find them to be somewhat destructive in the effect they have on society. First off, most people don't seem to realize that there is more than one type of intelligence. This in and of itself is quite dangerous. People figure that IQ covers the whole spectrum of intelligence. So when people take IQ tests and they come up with a low IQ they figure that they are stupid because of the high relevance of IQ in society. No. Not good. This person might be very highly intelligent but just not in what the IQ test is testing in. But because people don't realize that there is more then one intelligence they figure that they are just dumb and don't go to college, or get discouraged from learning new things, and may make life changing decisions based solely off of this one test. I've personally seen peoples lives become ruined only because of this test, and yet these people are extremely intelligent. I personally did quite well on both IQ and EQ but those people might have more worth in society then I, yet they are throwing their lives away all because of a simple number. If someone asks your IQ and you say it is low, many people will even look down on you or view you as less of a person. But if you say your IQ is genius level high, they will respect and regard your opinion quite a bit more. Don't get me wrong, IQ has its place, but it shouldn't be taken as seriously as it is. You can't be a dummy and get a high IQ, but just because your IQ is low doesn't mean your worthless, even in an intellectual setting.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

MBTI
    ENTP

The classic IQ tests seem more focused in the Logical-Mathematical intelligence. I like to do some because I enjoy that kind of mental exercise. I don't care much about my results, as I don't think I'm really gifted.
    I value intelligence in people, and IQ can be a guide, but in the end the numbers doesn't matter. It's the clever, creative or visionary people who really strikes me as intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    What is a measure?

It is the clock.

You mean one's intelligence evolves with time? Or, even, that we can't really measure one's intelligence?
    5w4 - Idiosyncratic/Leisurely/Dramatic
    It's the devil's way now.