• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sensing/iNtuiting Game: Perceiving Differences

B

beyondaurora

Somebody (sorry, I can't find the post again) mentioned that the statue in the middle of "A painting" was the body to which the head (and I see now, the hands) belong. I completely missed that! I couldn't tell what that white blob was in the middle of the painting...the most I could make out of it was a reclining Jabba the Hut.

Also interesting how I completely missed that there is a third, unoccupied window in the building in the center of the hands (Pocketlint pointed that out) and that the white puff of smoke was coming out of a train (many caught that) -- I just saw a random cloud in the background.

Also, I noticed that NT's (no surprise) look very objectively at the picture, pointing out political themes and/or critiquing the picture using the appropriate jargon. As for myself, I instantly empathized with the statue and, probably more so, with the themes I associated with it.

Here is the ultimate perceiving difference between S and N:

Sensors know. Intuitives think.
I noticed this with the responses. Very interesting. I HATED English literature classes because I always felt "wrong", that my classmates knew the correct answer which I never "saw". I realize now that I simply wasn't seeing as my classmates (likely, mostly S's) were.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The Painting

I see a situation. I see a persona being trapped in a house..The hands indicate bondage. The melancholic expression on the face indicates discomfort with the current situation one finds oneself in...The head cutoff at the neck symbolizes helplessness. The ovel window in the building perhaps exemplifies a rather comfortable setting..so this presents some irony...a certain indescribable tension. The louvered, three-tiered 'vent' above the persona's right hand...it symbolizes emotional tension in the situation..represents stress and as the louvers seem to appear shut, which amplifies this. The small dormer window directly above it in the roof represents a parallel to freedom, relief, and potential for personal equilibrium. The third, small rectangular hole next to the left hand symbolizes a small degree of freedom allowed to this persona, and speaks to the fact that one is under control and also speaks of a domination. The shadow this side of the building symbolizes depression and gloom. There is a relationship between this and the persona, marked by the facial expression and shadows which overlay the surface of the 'skin'.

The two men out in the sideyard wearing suits symbolizes prosperity, as strengthened by the ornate statue in the middleground. The brightly-kept white color of the statue juxtaposed to the dirt and ground symbolizes money and status. The open space around them represents freedom. The sun shining brightly on them amplifies their enjoyment of pleasure and symbolizes fortune. The rather large, tall, pillared structure behind them symbolizes strength. The train in the middle ground represents financial prosperity and plants a seed of the idea of progress. The flags flying on the second tier of this round building represent abundance. The round architectural style and rounded roof symbolizes affluence. Its unique design with added pillars of plenty radially adorning it add to this theme. The two windows in this building symbolizes that this structure is inhabited and enjoyed by someone.

There is a transfer of power from weak to strong and moves from the foreground to the background in a relative way. The seemingly architectural flatness of the middleground symbolizes wealth. It's extension into the foreground creates a vacuum of tension, and perhaps asks the persona to engage in jealousy and/or envy as the hands don't quite reach the surface of the finely groomed grounds. The simple, dull box in the foreground creates a relationship between the obtained and the unobtained and speaks of jealousy and want. The mountains in the background, along with the persona appearing alone in the building represent loneliness.

The dense bar in the middleground gives rise to desire for what appears difficult to obtain.

Thank you for offering this thread.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Painting:

True genius is throwing out the box which holds rigid,
conventional thinking taught by bureaucratic institutions,
and those who want to make a buck off conformity.

Ergo, by putting yourself into one of sixteen personality type boxes,
based on nothing more than an assumption of validity
is the definition of raging conformity.

:devil:

Oooh!

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I chose the painting. My type is INFJ.

First impressions: an odd collection of objects and figures, which seem disconnected from each other. The time is sunset as the strong, golden light is coming from the side. I don't like to look at the large figure sticking out of the building on the right, as I find it strangely disturbing. She (the person seems like a female to me) is reaching for the dark box in the foreground, but it is out of her reach. Perhaps this is why she is so sad?

The two figures on the right are saying farewell to each other. They are taking their time because they are going to be apart for a long time. Are they lovers? One of them is going to leave on the steam train in the distance. I don't think they are ever going to see each other again.

They have some connection to the rock-like sculpture they are standing next too. Did they create it together?

The tall tower is out of place in such a desolate landscape. It is an odd structure with no windows, and yet someone has raised two flags from the roof. Is it a monument, erected by a powerful conqueror to signify his rule over this barren landscape?

I would like to see more of the surroundings, to help me better understand the meaning of this picture. Or perhaps to watch the scene become animated, to see how it changes over time.

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just noticed how I wrote that the two figures were on the right when they are in fact, on the left of the painting! It's amazing how often I get details like this wrong, while I'm focussing on trying to interpret signs and symbols.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
i wonder what the responses say about the personalities of everyone. I mean some are like yeah their's a tree others are like it's a metaphor for blah blah blah blah and others are like oooh story time! and what does that say?

I don't think any of the pictures had a tree, I need to stop using tree as my go to example. I don't remember, I'm not going to go double check now.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I chose the painting

1. First thing i notice is that the greek statue man looks "incarcerated" due to his hands looking like they are "in the stalks".

2. Next i notice the volcano in the background. The incarcerated greek statue makes me think of pompie (sp?) due to the greek-->roman thing. The laying statue flips from a laying woman to a set of mountains, back in forth in my mind. depending on what archetype i see the picture.

3. Suddenly the business suit wearing people next to the laying greek statue jostles every Vibe the picture had been building. Suddenly it goes from this greco-roman ideologue prison of pompie to a simple art museum in Japan.

4. I say Japan because the lighting + the mountains + the suits + lack of buildings makes me think it must be a japanese place just outside the city in the mountainous ranges. Like if we turned the camera, we might look down onto a huge Asian city.

Se, Ni, Ne, or Si? you decide :devil:

B

beyondaurora

I chose the painting

1. First thing i notice is that the greek statue man looks "incarcerated" due to his hands looking like they are "in the stalks".

2. Next i notice the volcano in the background. The incarcerated greek statue makes me think of pompie (sp?) due to the greek-->roman thing. The laying statue flips from a laying woman to a set of mountains, back in forth in my mind. depending on what archetype i see the picture.

3. Suddenly the business suit wearing people next to the laying greek statue jostles every Vibe the picture had been building. Suddenly it goes from this greco-roman ideologue prison of pompie to a simple art museum in Japan.

4. I say Japan because the lighting + the mountains + the suits + lack of buildings makes me think it must be a japanese place just outside the city in the mountainous ranges. Like if we turned the camera, we might look down onto a huge Asian city.

Se, Ni, Ne, or Si? you decide :devil:

I call Ne.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
INTP
Tower

The bottom looks like a dome.
Its the eifel tower in paris.
Its not because its too small.
Its bigger than i thought.
Its the angle of the pic that made me think it was quite small at first.
You can climb the eifel tower and its not got any stairs or a lift.
One leg looks like it may be a lift.
Theres no ques just lots of people so probably can't climb it.
Link says it is eifel tower.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I chose the tower.

My first impression is the focal point, the top of the tower. There is a sense of all things coming to this single point of focus, a powerful upward momentum. This is displayed in stark contrast to the nebulous sky which is infinite and without a single point. The powerful design and materials of the tower are placed in contrast to the fluid, ever shifting sky. I see the feeble creatures standing under it with upward gazes at this monument to human achievement against a backdrop of impermanence. It makes me think about how our struggle for permanence is already lost and yet is capable of such powerful creation.

Gauche

metal thingy:

bad weather; damp and cold; maybe gonna rain; cold metal; lots of dissonant people; dull colors; mind-numbing atmosphere; feeling down

room:

oblivion; light is filling the space, but it's cold, empty light; maybe behind the walls is life rushing, but not inside

painting:

like a bad dream; little nostalgic; void; entrapment; downgraded existence, but now knowing how to escape

nanook

a scream in a vortex
  • a tower (turns out to be my favorite ... at first):

threatening, dark, space, disorientation, ...

separation of individual and culture (emphasized by the effect of the concave perspective)

ie the individual can produce or control or even understand nothing of that which surrounds him, without help of all the other specialized people, but with the people in the image, it seems likely that they are not aware of how each one contributes, so they are alone, hence separated. the monster we created. without knowing whats your place in the big picture, you cant evaluate your competence. you either act out, or suppress yourself, but anyway you don't know, can't know, what you are doing for the big picture. the monster deprives you. you would not want to just dance under that metal frame, ie do something that does probably not affect the pig picture. you are reduced to your function in the web.

[*]a space:
    picture is too artificial. i would feel fooled or like fooling myself, if i would try to come up with an interpretation. they just want to sell more nike shoes. i don't want to look at this any longer. i want to get out of here. what do you mean, i have to use the elevator? this thing is going to fall and explode, right?

[*]a painting:
    ah, its a painting, captain obvious! i cant relate to much of the symbolism. i figure such a dreamlike symbolism is too personal anyway. there is a lot of conformism in the picture, and the style might emphasis how empty or artificial the conformist world is. you would not know how to place your self inside of this world of the abstract objects of our thinking. subject is removed from object, but also at times lost in them. but with paintings i feel manipulated, even by the possibility, that elements have been chosen by sheer randomness or habit of the artist. i have seen that style too often. not motivated to go deeper. edit: i see the interpretation takes some time, working in me, while i have already tossed the Eiffel tower. guess, that makes it art. i have mentioned the subject's struggle with it's objects. the objects don't "make sense". they don't fill you, don't give you purpose, don't tell you, who you are. yet you have nothing but them. the light makes it look very static. this emphasizes the endurance of the struggle. you can dwell on the objects all night long, loose yourself in their co-creation, find yourself again, but all of it will still just be about objects. like obsessing about mbti functions in your dream. wtf is this live? sunburned, for sure.

edit: comment after reading thread: there is a volcano in the picture? i see a steam-locomotive in front of a mountain.

Last edited:

Jeremy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I am an INFP, and I chose the painting.

Well, when I first looked at this, the first thing I thought was - "Creepy." You have a bright green skyline, a statue that looks imprisoned within a house. The next thought: End of the world. Atomic bombs have just been set off, and this surrealistic picture is the moment just before the end of the world. The diplomats (standing in the picture) have likely just made peace, but they are trapped within the reality of the situation. Nothing but lime-green death awaits them.

EDIT: Now that I've went back and taken a second look, I also noticed the plume of smoke on one of the background mountains coming from the train, but it looks like a bomb to me - probably what gave me the impression that this was an end of the world scenario.

xx00oo00xx

MBTI Type
Ixxx
did them all, but here's my experience of the tower:

-got a very physical/tactile sense of the tower (the sharp edges, very rigid frame-like structure and immovable stance)

-at the same time, my eyes accelerated up the tower and I got the physical sensation of moving up to the top and then back down to the base and ground.

-people provided size reference; also provided contrast in terms of material (human: living; mobile; separate little "units", color (solid red, black) vs. tower: inanimate; static; unified, single, all one earthy color)

-noticed it was the Eiffel tower, but that seemed to be of minor significance, I think because I always envision the Eiffel tower as a symbol, when it's all lit up at night

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The shadowy underside and legs of the Eiffel Tower reminds me of a big black tarantula.

Don't know what to make of "the space"; just looks like an empty museum or gallery area. I like the ramp and the little mezzanine. Otherwise, too bland and modern.

Don't know what to make of the painting either other than the off scale person in the house (didn't even pay atention to it being a statue, or other stuff like the color of the sky, until I saw others mention it). Do notice that shadowing is very dark (and Twilight Zone looking), like there is little daylight, and the sky does look like it is becoming black the higher up it is, even though the sun appears to be out (reminds me of other planet or something).

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INFJ and I chose the painting.

There's a person who can't get out of the house. It must be in Italy, because there's sculpture around and someone has begun the leaning tower of piza in the background, although at this stage, it has not yet begun to lean.

Two guys are shaking hands. There's a train in the distance.

The house is messed up. The windows are vertically aligned instead of going horizontal.

Could be Alice in Wonderland. Ate the wrong thing and grew too big to get out. And can't get to the square ... can't ... build? create? wtf, I don't know. Has a problem, obviously. Actually, you could walk up to the block in front of the person and have a seat there in front of them and have a nice talk. Eventually they would warm up and tell you what happened. You could ask one of the guys shaking hands for a saw and you could enlarge the opening so the person could get out.

Although it's possible this is not even a person. It's a head like a statue, a bust of David or something, and hands. I mean, you assume there's a body behind it, but there might not be.

A closer look wouldn't hurt anything though. I would walk up to it and check it out.

The slant of light is obvious enough that you could probably tell the time if you needed for some reason to say when the handshake took place.

The colors are autumnal and there's no blue. We've got a green sky going on here. If the sky's green, this is not earth. That could explain a few things.

I could go on for pages...

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I did them all because I had to see what they all were, and I don't like rules in games :cheese:

1. Tower:
Angle & perspective is interesting.
Looks both gloomy & romantic .
People look like little bugs.
The tower feels personified.
The subject is so iconic that it's hard for me to form any new impression.

2. Space:
Empty space that seems to have a lot potential.
Light is radiating from the center.
It's melancholy, but the light makes it seem hopeful.
It looks like a cool space to have an art studio.
It's pretty boring to me otherwise.

3. Painting:
The person in the house is detached from the outside world, and he looks longingly outside and wants to participate but cannot, cuz he's a statue and the house has him trapped.
However, the people in the far off distance are interacting and living their life.
The box in the shadow is something the statue-person wants, but he can't identify the desire and that's frustrating.
The train in the back is things moving on in life, leaving the statue-person behind.
I don't know what the tower is about. Probably a phallic symbol. When in doubt, just refer to a tower as phallic.
That's mainly what I get out of it.