• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sensing/iNtuiting Game: Perceiving Differences

DuneE

First post in the newly refurbished MBTIcentral! Hi all.
Thought this would be good chance as any to test I really use Se over Ne/Ni. I believe I favor INTP, but I seem to use Se more than some INTPs... I've read and reread ISTP vs INTP descriptions so much I can no longer make sense of what fits best.

I chose the Space.

The lighting differential brought my eyes straight to the right angles first
Empty
Not someplace I’d live nor work in
Why's the ramp flat? Maybe a Handicapped ramp?
2 distinct environments- indoors/outdoors areas, perhaps
Some logo at corner
Is this a museum?
Variety of textures –wood, concrete, drywall, metal, glass
Feel of a postmodernist train station

Edit: I see how I am picking out some patterns and possibilities, but I am also describing concrete details of material, location, and existence. Oy.

Last edited:

ygolo

My termites win
I am not sure about my S/N choice. But here is what I thought....

I chose "A Tower"

Damn this is taking too ling to load!

Oh! It's the Eiffel Tower!

I wonder how many people are on the street.

Hey look! There is a woman with a baby carriage.

The tower get hazy near the top.

What is that building in the background?

What about the town on the right? (At least I think it's a town.)

It seems a bit chilly, everyone I looked at is wearing a coat.

I wonder how the seasons are in France.

It's funny, I think you can identify who is with who by how close they are to each other.

Though there seems to something going on the left, near the leg of the tower.

Oh. My friend just came online.

I think I'm done now.

EDIT: After looking at others responses, I still don't know which one I am. I may change my N back to x.

Last edited:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A space.

Nice lighting effect.
Empty.
Hardwood floors...nice and clean.
All hard edges...look at that, not a single curve.
What is that room next to it? It looks out of place. Unfinished.
What is that box thing?
Why is there a railing there? How ugly.
What is this place? It's too ugly for a house, but the floors are far too nice for a warehouse....perhaps a future store?

I'm not really sure if the things I noticed were details or concepts, to be honest. A mixture of both. I kinda cheated because I've seen this sort of test before, but I wanted to try it anyway.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Tower: Intricate, repeating architectural patterns made of what appears to be iron, giving the tower it's strength along with the arch shapes near the bottom. These patterns carefully yet ambitiously spire upwards from this strong base. It's a tribute to the strength of iron, and innovations in architecture.

Space: A mostly empty space with glass and light being the most defining features. The perspective seems to far too deliberately narrow towards a single point, so it must have been drawn or rendered, despite the seeming realism of it. There is a lot of order in the design, several features of symmetry. There is an empty desk near the entrance, near a flight of stairs that lead to no doors. I wonder where the walkway the stairs lead to finally ends? It's a symbol of how meaningless and empty structure would be without goals, activity, or purpose.

Painting: Several eras collide. The disembodied head and hands trapped within a house are reaching towards a box, symbolizing our unending struggle to reach out and see what lies beyond the cage of human perception and thought. Two men in the background are shaking hands on a compromise, showing how we have to concede some of our grander ideas to practicality in order to partially achieve. The other things in the picture are all symbols of the fruits of this compromise: the steam engine, transportation, ancient and modern architecture, and art. The shadows represent the things currently hidden from our understanding, and the fact that they extend off the edge of the picture hints that some things will always be beyond our understanding.

dorkilicious

MBTI Type
INTP
Hope you don't mind me doing two.

Tower:
The first thing that struck me was the unusual angle. One usually sees the Eiffel Tower straight on, rather than a picture taken from the base. I really like the angle, which made for some attractive lines of perspective, emphasized the size, and gave a feeling of grandeur.

I also noticed the contrast. The dark tower against a clear blue sky lended further dramatic effect, which worked perfectly together with the unusual angle.

I also noticed the laticework and its relevance in the construction of the tower. I wondered how much of it has engineering purpose, how much is for aesthetic effect, and how much is an elegant blend of the two.

The Space:
Another interesting picture regarding the lines of perspective. I might not have noticed that element had I not already been thinking about them from the previous picture. I just love the sense of emptiness, looking out towards a window with a halo of light.

I think this has a lot of room to interpret all sorts of meaning. The way perspective is used to make it seem almost like a tunnel compounds that feeling of being in a dark, empty space and gazing at a "light at the end of the tunnel."

I also just love the simplicity. It makes me think of Japanese minimalistic design with its simple, angular form and muted colours.

Sahara

MBTI Type
INFP
Tower image:

"It's the Eiffel Tower, photographed from an angle that makes it look even more phallic than usual."

OMG that was the first thing I thought of when I saw it too.

INFP, The tower, "Man the person that created that had size issues" , oh, and I liked the sky between the arches towards the base.

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ
A Painting: I am ISTJ

First impression was, "It looks kinda like a Salvador Dali-style painting/is surrealism"
Then I was drawn to the red tower, and thought that the color red and flags reminded me of a circus, but the white columns around it made me think of the government. So perhaps it could be a parody of govt.
Then I looked to the image/statue of the person, and it made me think of someone that is jailed or has no freedom, and finally I noticed the 2 people shaking hands...my first inclination is to think they are making an agreement.

Cindyrella

MBTI Type
INFP
I chose the photograph of the Eiffel Tower. I'm an INFP.

My initial reaction was, "what an awesome shot with a fisheye lens!" I work in the field of photography, so that's why. Anyway, it just feels so larger than life. If the top of the tower was cropped out of the photo, it would see as though the structure would go on into infinity. It feels stark, probably because of the lighting and you can clearly tell it's a cold day. Somehow it still manages to feel inviting. The arches in the "back" of the photo are SO interesting to me. They really draw you in and make you look beyond the foreground subjects. It makes me think of how miniscule we actually are in the universe. As humans we tend to think of ourselves as larger than life. This photo proves we're not!

heart

heart on fire
A Painting: I am ISTJ

First impression was, "It looks kinda like a Salvador Dali-style painting/is surrealism"
Then I was drawn to the red tower, and thought that the color red and flags reminded me of a circus, but the white columns around it made me think of the government. So perhaps it could be a parody of govt.
Then I looked to the image/statue of the person, and it made me think of someone that is jailed or has no freedom, and finally I noticed the 2 people shaking hands...my first inclination is to think they are making an agreement.

I was wondering if you felt they were making some sort of agreement that would affect the jailed man/image? Or am I the only one that conspiratorially minded? :D

lastrailway

I successfully fought the urge to read the whole thread before answering and I choose the tower
I think I am N (not really sure about)
It is the Eiffel tower in Paris and seems like it were inflated by lots of gas (like an aerostat), and if this gas input does not stop soon, the tower will loose contact with the earth.
Ok, now I can go back and read the whole thread, to find out how many people had the same impression

Edit: I read the rest of the answers and realised I 've totally missed the point of "giving the first impression". Oh, well, nevermind

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ
I was wondering if you felt they were making some sort of agreement that would affect the jailed man/image? Or am I the only one that conspiratorially minded? :D

Yes, actually that was exactly what crossed my mind. I imagined the 2 people were making a decision about the jailed person's fate...and the look on the character's face along with his hands gave me the impression that he is perhaps hopeless. See, he is not even looking at th people shaking hands, which I take to mean that he is not even trying to plead his case. Or perhaps he is looking away from them as a way to ask for help from an outside/greater source (which I would presume to be God). The painting overall gives a very cramped and lonely feeling to me now that I look at it again...like everything is far away and unobtainale to the jailed character.

heart

heart on fire
I had the impression that maybe they had something to do with the jailed figure being jailed (that they had framed him) and were shaking hands on either a job well done or further punishments for the jailed figure. ;)

Yes, I agree, there is a resignation and hopelessness about the jailed figure as it regards the men shaking hands.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I chose "A Space".

I thought the space was a very cool environment; new and ripe with potential. It seemed like the type of place that you could set up a business, either your own, or rent to someone else. The light through the window signified a beautiful view. It's the type of place that artists could work for inspiration, beauty and energy. The structure is new and sturdy. It needs to be decorated with paintings or murals. The catwalk is a nice alternative area, that could be a separate workspace, or an easy way to hang paintings/paint murals. It's an expensive space, but can be utilized in a variety of ways to generate large amounts of income.

Kaveri

MBTI Type
intp
Picture: Eiffel tower.
Perceiving function: most probably N.

Why, it's the Eiffel tower from an interesting angle. It's a good photograph-- the tall tower is made to look so surrealistically flat and some of the people are twisted in an interesting way. The tower looks like some live creature spreading its legs, like an angel guarding the twisted people or a spider ready to attack them. This picture has probably been taken with a special widescreen objective. It looks like a nice, foggy day. I remember when I visited Paris.

I' still not *absolutely* sure if I'm N or S. Because now I remember this assignment in high school. We were supposed to analyse a poem titled "Wolf". I can't remember the exact wordings, but it went along these lines (translated by me):

"Deceitfully, unnoticeably
I slip into my shoes and jacket
I adapt to any situation
I proceed alone
Yet at night
I return to my pack
And together we howl"

I remember having trouble understanding the poem. I wondered how a wolf, an animal, could wear shoes and a jacket. It disturbed me.

Then the class analysed the poem together, and I realized that it wasn't about an actualf wolf-- the title was but a metaphor. It was about a type of people, the type of people who are willing to do or pretend anything so as to proceed towards their goal. The nazis, the anorexic, the Slytherins and so on.

I felt ashamed that I had taken the poem so literally and I felt that everyone else must have understood it better than me.

Also, when I took a deconstruction course at university, I thought it was a very interesting course, but it disturbed me that at first the lecturer failed to give a few enlightening examples and tell *what* exactly deconstruction was. It wasn't enough for me to know that it "happens everywhere, all the time". Ok, so does it happen under my pillow when I'm asleep? Does it happen inside a mitochondrion in my nose when I sneeze? Little by little I came to better understand what the lecturer was talking about, but at first the vagueness really bothered me.

Occasional experiences like this make me wonder if I am truly an N.

developer

MBTI Type
INTJ
I am wondering.

I have read several of the replies, and they seem to fit so perfectly with the type of the person.

Maybe...

when you know this is about S vs N and
when you know what type you are

.... your (subconscious) mind might provide exactly what is expected.

** scratches head ** ;)

meanlittlechimp

MBTI Type
ENTP
Painting.

The painting looks like it’s done by the same guy who did the famous one with the little girl with a hoop and stick. The drawing is kind of amateurish, but it’s probably intended that way for effect. I imagine most people of the period were classically trained before they jumped into surrealism. I prefer Duchamp or Max Ernst to Dali. But I prefer this guy slightly above Dali, I don’t know why. Maybe because Dali work seems more like a straight illustrator and is less painterly in his brushwork. I’ve looked at so many reprints of this guys stuff I feel desensitized to it now, but I imagine the mood would impact me more if I saw the original work in front of me on a larger scale. I like the color palette.

I did the first thing that popped into my head and honestly forgot that I was just supposed to describe the picture in front of me; until the moment I decided to stop writing.

meanlittlechimp

MBTI Type
ENTP
Space

I wonder what kind of instution it belongs too. A gallery? A university? Maybe a gallery in a university – it looks a lot like the gallery space in my old university. Kind of a boring picture to describe. I’m guessing it’s around 60 feet across based on the relative size of the ramp, not that I care how wide it is; but how many other places would make this wheelchair accessible?

It looks depressing and devoid of life; maybe depressing with life too. I can imagine all these pseudo intellectuals eating wine and cheese while pretentiously rambling about art or how talented their kids are, when they're not. Would be a cool space to live in though – I love high ceilings, but I would need to get rid of the ramp.

Kaveri

MBTI Type
intp
Preference: N.

Picture: Space.

Nice photo. The mood is calm and isolated. The light that comes from the window is blurred in a pretty way. I wonder where this place is located. I would like to retreat here in quiet. I wonder why this calming place doesn't seem to have attracted people. It looks so deserted. Perhaps the photographer has ordered everyone to get out of the photo. Then again, it wouldn't be a calming place if there were people there.

I wonder how many people have been in this place.

I wonder what they have done in this place.

I wonder how this place is going to be furnished. I think it's much prettier the way it is here, unfurnished.

Kaveri

MBTI Type
intp
Painting

Picture: painting
Preference: N

It is weird.

It is probably very symbolic.

At a first glance, I'm not a fan of this painting, but it would be interesting to know what the artist has thought when making this. I don't like the colours and shapes particularly much.

The most prominent thing is the huge statue (who looks like a female to me) that is made to look like a living person, like a prisoner who wants to get out of her jail.

Then there are all these arbitrary, unconnected objects lying around. At first I'm not particularly interested in them.

I don't know what this painting means. The longer I look at it, the more interesting it gets and the more details I notice, like the direction of light throwing unnaturally strong shadows to the left, and the box that the statue is trying to reach for. The box is situated at such an irritating distance that the statue almost reaches it-- but only just can't. Oh, that must be irritating.

Why is the statue after that boring-looking box, anyway?

Maybe this painting depicts a dream. Dreams tend to be weird and arbitrary.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Here is the ultimate perceiving difference between S and N:

Sensors know. Intuitives think.

The way I see it, the S will indeed more likely pick up a book. The N will rely on instinct.