• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sensing/iNtuiting Game: Perceiving Differences

faith

MBTI Type
INFJ
Hmm... I've just read the thread.

Why don't my answers match other Ns?

I should 'fess up. I first chose the "picture" option because I thought a painting might be more interesting to look at. I opened it and my reaction was much the same as niffer's: Yikes! A face! A person in jail! Ugh. I can't look at this mess.

So then I chose the tower so I could look at something and give an impartial report of my observations.

:shock:

laughing dolphin

MBTI Type
INFJ
I was still lurking when I saw the original post and I know it's after the fact, but here was my take on the first picture, the tower...
At first I thought: perspective, looking up, who looks up?, tourists, what kind of tourists?, mid-western Americans, why?, because I grew up in the midwest and have a certain fondness for them (I know the connection doesn't make sense, but that's the way my mind works...),etc. And a story was brewing...
Then I went to go vacuum and I kept thinking about it and my mind did this:
“Oh honey, just look at that! Isn’t it just so…” She pauses, searching for just the right word, the word she’ll use to describe the tower when next at lunch with the girls. “It’s majestic,” she pronounces. “Majestic,” she repeats, pleased with her choice.

“Don’t you think so, Stan?”

“Hmmm?” He glances up from the pages of his dog-eared and Post-It-noted guidebook, his constant evening companion during the six weeks leading up to the trip.

“Oh yes…yes it’s great, hon. We’re doing the Arch today, too. Are you sure you want to go to the top? That’s looking like a pretty long line over there.”

This time it’s Gracie’s turn to say “Hmmm?” as she stands there, eyes to the sky, absorbing every detail.

“The top. Did you still want to go to the top?”

“Oh well…what do you think?”

“Well, if we’re going to do it, we’d better hustle over there now. It looks like the line is moving, but we’ll be cutting it close to get over to the Arch and then to” he stops to consult his book (section 4, Post-It note number 5), “La Belle Mer” (4 stars, 3 dollar signs). “And I know how much you’ve been wanting some good scallops.”

“Oh sure, honey, if you think we should go now we could just-“

“No, no, we can do it, but let’s get in that line now.”

They walk over and queue up for a ride to the top. Indeed, it does move quickly and in the elevator Stan consults his book again looking ahead to tomorrow’s schedule, silently congratulating himself for keeping them on track. This is, after all, a dream vacation, and they are going to see everything.

As he flips through pages, Gracie stares out over the ever-smaller cityscape, breathes in deeply and thinks, “Majestic.”

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
Hmm... I've just read the thread.

Why don't my answers match other Ns?
You mentioned "patterns" twice, tho... ;)

The other thing is--if you've developed skills in Sensing (like, you're a typesetter or taken art history classes), you might have developed skills of your non-preferred function. Same would be true for Sensors who latch onto atmosphere, themes, meanings, etc.
I should 'fess up. I first chose the "picture" option because I thought a painting might be more interesting to look at. I opened it and my reaction was much the same as niffer's: Yikes! A face! A person in jail! Ugh. I can't look at this mess.

So then I chose the tower so I could look at something and give an impartial report of my observations.

:shock:
I'm curious about the distress the de Chirico is causing folks. I thought it was pretty neutral...but I know his work and I see the figures as objects. Also, seems like folks with a Feeling preference are more bothered, so next time I'll be sure to enlist someone who's not INTx to look at the images. I was after a strong image, but not a distressing image.

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
I was still lurking when I saw the original post and I know it's after the fact, but here was my take on the first picture, the tower...

Oh, it's on the internet, so there is no "after the fact." :)

Thanks for contributing! :hi:

laughing dolphin

MBTI Type
INFJ
Happy to contribute! And just wondering if anyone else tends to randomly go off into creating stories, just because they're in your head...
I spend so much time in my head sometimes I need a check - do others think this way or is it me?
LD

sdalek

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Happy to contribute! And just wondering if anyone else tends to randomly go off into creating stories, just because they're in your head...
I spend so much time in my head sometimes I need a check - do others think this way or is it me?
LD

I think it's neat that you can look at a picture and a story about the picture comes to mind for you. I think of that as being pretty creative! :D

sundowning

MBTI Type
ISTP
Okay, I'll play.

My type: ISTP
Picture: The Effiel Tower

eiffel-tower-from-below.jpg

I'm on dialup, so the picture loaded within a span of 10-15 seconds. I saw the sky at first - clear, but looked drab. As the picture continued to load, I thought that maybe it wasn't drab, but that maybe it was near dusk - and indeed that's the case - and I thought that might be a 'cool' (or perhaps 'aesthetic') thing. But when the picture finished loading, I noticed that there's smog on the horizon, and that people are bundled up. Definitely ruined the feeling. Looks drab again.

The tower itself looks somewhat interesting. The picture is taken front a nice angle, and encompasses several elements from the tower itself, to far off objects, to people on the ground. Clearly digital, it's exposed in almost a surreal way - the colours, I mean. I'm sure that has a tendency to piss off purists, but I think the effect is very enjoyable.. especially in the case of the foreground arch - very clear...

I think the picture is a very close 'miss' to something that would grab me.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
A Painting (INTJ)

A statue's head and hands have been placed so as to physically pass through a building's frontispiece, causing anthropomorphosis. There is a hint of Dali in the flat landscape, more utilitarian in intention than desolate in depiction. Just beyond the building, a pair of gentlemen is shaking hands next to a second statue of a resupine woman, this one properly settled on the ground. A two-story rotunda stands on the horizon and though it is the second-largest object in the picture, my eye moves past it to the sky. At this point I consider medium, my first guess egg-tempera, what with the application of dark-to-light.

Edit: A very enjoyable exercise, Rivercrow, especially after reading your little explanation. I look forward to more of these.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm curious about the distress the de Chirico is causing folks. I thought it was pretty neutral...but I know his work and I see the figures as objects. Also, seems like folks with a Feeling preference are more bothered, so next time I'll be sure to enlist someone who's not INTx to look at the images. I was after a strong image, but not a distressing image.

I was surprised by the emotional reactions to the de Chirico painting too. I actually find his work to be very bland and unemotional, kind of stifled, stilted and repressed-feeling. The 'woman' in the painting is very obviously a statue to me, so I had no emotional reaction to it.

Carebear

will make your day
MBTI Type
INFP
I was surprised by the emotional reactions to the de Chirico painting too. I actually find his work to be very bland and unemotional, kind of stifled, stilted and repressed-feeling. The 'woman' in the painting is very obviously a statue to me, so I had no emotional reaction to it.

I agree totally. Bland, boring, uninteresting.

I got strong emotional reactions to the tower pic instead. The way someone has used a fisheye lens to jam the whole tower into a closeup picture makes the tower get sickening proportions and makes me dizzy and angry.

Jaguar

Painting:

True genius is throwing out the box which holds rigid,
conventional thinking taught by bureaucratic institutions,
and those who want to make a buck off conformity.

Ergo, by putting yourself into one of sixteen personality type boxes,
based on nothing more than an assumption of validity
is the definition of raging conformity.

:devil:

Last edited:

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
The painting.

Strong feeling of remoteness. The statue on the plinth has its head missing, which is the head in the foreground. The statue's head and hands seem to be trapped in some kind of building, while businessmen are presumably making a deal over the body, without the head having any say in the matter. The building in the background is cut off from the action in the picture by some kind of dividing line. The way the shadows fall seem to suggest to me a chain of power or influence: the men have power over the body, the body over the head, and the head itself is overshadowed by its own prison. I think the remoteness has to do with remoteness from common spheres of admission or acknowledgement, as though all this nasty stuff goes on in some kind of outworld or underworld, that people don't like to talk about or look in the face. The statue's head as it looks at you, seems to be at once showing its pain, and yet saying it'll put up with this to the bitter end, before it asks for or accepts any help from you.

Ah, there's a box in the foreground, in the shadow of the building; the hands may be gesturing to it, but may equally be reaching for it. And right in the distance there seems to be some kind of train. Maybe the statue wants to be on it - maybe the round building is a station and the statue's gonna miss the train cos it's trapped and dismembered.

Maybe the surrealist who painted this didn't intend any of those meanings, I just let my mind roam free over it and that's what I 'saw' :)

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP

Just read this after I posted my reaction - it's the same statue/face that appears in many of de Chirico's paintings. I think it's like the sheets on the heads in Magritte's stuff. Significant to him in some way that we can't really know. Except we do know with Magritte, the whole parent being suffocated or whatever it was, I can't remember.

I don't get 'repressed' off it - I get 'remote and isolated'. Like he's some kind of voice talking to itself and wandering out on the margins, where the tumbleweed tumbles at will :laugh:

BlackMita

The Tower

INTJ

The perspective makes the Eiffel Tower look like it could engulf the people below it. I don’t think it’s a completely natural; looks like the sphere-lense effect was placed near the bottom left of the photo… the ground isn’t angled but actually curving up slightly (when read from left to right). The sky is… smeary (?) as though clouds cannot be observed because of fog limiting distant sight. It must be early spring, since its cool enough for people to wear jackets, yet have no autumn leaves on the ground. I never new the tower was brown-ish, which is semi-interesting. I always assumed it was silver or “metal colored”… it contrasts the sky color well. I’m to lazy to look at the bottom and landscape in detail.

raincrow007

MBTI Type
INTP

Go for any of the Impressionists next time. S'gentler. ;)

R

RDF

I liked the de Chirico. The foreground material on the right side of the picture inspired a little foreboding at first glance, but I really liked the warmth and ease of the background material on the left side.

I was tempted to describe my impression of the painting; but I got the sense that the OP wanted us to give our initial impressions, whereas in fact I spent a while looking at the de Chirico painting and played around with the composition and feel of it in my head. Rather than go into a long analysis of the painting, I described the tower instead.

FL

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I liked the de Chirico. The foreground material on the right side of the picture inspired a little foreboding at first glance, but I really liked the warmth and ease of the background material on the left side.

That's so odd. I felt nothing when seeing the right side of the picture. It was just an odd assortment of human parts. I guess I viewed it impersonally, not personally, so the disjointedness did not bother me. In fact, the whole picture was a bit boring -- nothing really evocative for me, it was just typical ol' boring abstract art. :)

(If that was unsettling to people here, Crowsie, perhaps you should try a Giger picture! People will be having nightmares for weeks.)

heart

heart on fire
Tower--- Photographer must have been male and feeling insecure that day.

Space--- The light draws me upwards and outside out of the barren space. It reminds me of hope in times of bleakness.

Painting--- The colors are sharp, harsh, clashing, there is no comfort or ease to be found ... the lines are harsh that with the trapped man gives me a feeling of unease. There is a feeling of expectation, of a holding of breath. The shadows are long and there is an element of waiting for the executioner in this painting. There's something heartless about about the men talking, they don't care. Are they responsible for the trapped man being trapped?