User Tag List

First 678910 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by rivercrow View Post
    I'm curious about the distress the de Chirico is causing folks. I thought it was pretty neutral...but I know his work and I see the figures as objects. Also, seems like folks with a Feeling preference are more bothered, so next time I'll be sure to enlist someone who's not INTx to look at the images. I was after a strong image, but not a distressing image.
    I was surprised by the emotional reactions to the de Chirico painting too. I actually find his work to be very bland and unemotional, kind of stifled, stilted and repressed-feeling. The 'woman' in the painting is very obviously a statue to me, so I had no emotional reaction to it.
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by bluebell View Post
    I was surprised by the emotional reactions to the de Chirico painting too. I actually find his work to be very bland and unemotional, kind of stifled, stilted and repressed-feeling. The 'woman' in the painting is very obviously a statue to me, so I had no emotional reaction to it.
    I agree totally. Bland, boring, uninteresting.

I got strong emotional reactions to the tower pic instead. The way someone has used a fisheye lens to jam the whole tower into a closeup picture makes the tower get sickening proportions and makes me dizzy and angry.

Painting:

True genius is throwing out the box which holds rigid,
    conventional thinking taught by bureaucratic institutions,
    and those who want to make a buck off conformity.

Ergo, by putting yourself into one of sixteen personality type boxes,
    based on nothing more than an assumption of validity
    is the definition of raging conformity.

Last edited by Jaguar; 06-16-2007 at 07:56 PM.

MBTI
    ENTP

The painting.

Strong feeling of remoteness. The statue on the plinth has its head missing, which is the head in the foreground. The statue's head and hands seem to be trapped in some kind of building, while businessmen are presumably making a deal over the body, without the head having any say in the matter. The building in the background is cut off from the action in the picture by some kind of dividing line. The way the shadows fall seem to suggest to me a chain of power or influence: the men have power over the body, the body over the head, and the head itself is overshadowed by its own prison. I think the remoteness has to do with remoteness from common spheres of admission or acknowledgement, as though all this nasty stuff goes on in some kind of outworld or underworld, that people don't like to talk about or look in the face. The statue's head as it looks at you, seems to be at once showing its pain, and yet saying it'll put up with this to the bitter end, before it asks for or accepts any help from you.

Ah, there's a box in the foreground, in the shadow of the building; the hands may be gesturing to it, but may equally be reaching for it. And right in the distance there seems to be some kind of train. Maybe the statue wants to be on it - maybe the round building is a station and the statue's gonna miss the train cos it's trapped and dismembered.

Maybe the surrealist who painted this didn't intend any of those meanings, I just let my mind roam free over it and that's what I 'saw'
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by bluebell View Post
    Just read this after I posted my reaction - it's the same statue/face that appears in many of de Chirico's paintings. I think it's like the sheets on the heads in Magritte's stuff. Significant to him in some way that we can't really know. Except we do know with Magritte, the whole parent being suffocated or whatever it was, I can't remember.

I don't get 'repressed' off it - I get 'remote and isolated'. Like he's some kind of voice talking to itself and wandering out on the margins, where the tumbleweed tumbles at will
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

The Tower

INTJ

The perspective makes the Eiffel Tower look like it could engulf the people below it. I don’t think it’s a completely natural; looks like the sphere-lense effect was placed near the bottom left of the photo… the ground isn’t angled but actually curving up slightly (when read from left to right). The sky is… smeary (?) as though clouds cannot be observed because of fog limiting distant sight. It must be early spring, since its cool enough for people to wear jackets, yet have no autumn leaves on the ground. I never new the tower was brown-ish, which is semi-interesting. I always assumed it was silver or “metal colored”… it contrasts the sky color well. I’m to lazy to look at the bottom and landscape in detail.

"A want fastened, wants annihilation."

MBTI
    INTP

I'm curious about the distress the de Chirico is causing folks. I thought it was pretty neutral...but I know his work and I see the figures as objects. Also, seems like folks with a Feeling preference are more bothered, so next time I'll be sure to enlist someone who's not INTx to look at the images. I was after a strong image, but not a distressing image.
    Go for any of the Impressionists next time. S'gentler.

RDF

I liked the de Chirico. The foreground material on the right side of the picture inspired a little foreboding at first glance, but I really liked the warmth and ease of the background material on the left side.

I was tempted to describe my impression of the painting; but I got the sense that the OP wanted us to give our initial impressions, whereas in fact I spent a while looking at the de Chirico painting and played around with the composition and feel of it in my head. Rather than go into a long analysis of the painting, I described the tower instead.

FL

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
    I liked the de Chirico. The foreground material on the right side of the picture inspired a little foreboding at first glance, but I really liked the warmth and ease of the background material on the left side.
    That's so odd. I felt nothing when seeing the right side of the picture. It was just an odd assortment of human parts. I guess I viewed it impersonally, not personally, so the disjointedness did not bother me. In fact, the whole picture was a bit boring -- nothing really evocative for me, it was just typical ol' boring abstract art.

(If that was unsettling to people here, Crowsie, perhaps you should try a Giger picture! People will be having nightmares for weeks.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

heart on fire

Tower--- Photographer must have been male and feeling insecure that day.

Space--- The light draws me upwards and outside out of the barren space. It reminds me of hope in times of bleakness.

Painting--- The colors are sharp, harsh, clashing, there is no comfort or ease to be found ... the lines are harsh that with the trapped man gives me a feeling of unease. There is a feeling of expectation, of a holding of breath. The shadows are long and there is an element of waiting for the executioner in this painting. There's something heartless about about the men talking, they don't care. Are they responsible for the trapped man being trapped?