User Tag List

First 5678917 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Hmm... I've just read the thread.

Why don't my answers match other Ns?

I should 'fess up. I first chose the "picture" option because I thought a painting might be more interesting to look at. I opened it and my reaction was much the same as niffer's: Yikes! A face! A person in jail! Ugh. I can't look at this mess.

So then I chose the tower so I could look at something and give an impartial report of my observations.

I was still lurking when I saw the original post and I know it's after the fact, but here was my take on the first picture, the tower...
    At first I thought: perspective, looking up, who looks up?, tourists, what kind of tourists?, mid-western Americans, why?, because I grew up in the midwest and have a certain fondness for them (I know the connection doesn't make sense, but that's the way my mind works...),etc. And a story was brewing...
    Then I went to go vacuum and I kept thinking about it and my mind did this:
    “Oh honey, just look at that! Isn’t it just so…” She pauses, searching for just the right word, the word she’ll use to describe the tower when next at lunch with the girls. “It’s majestic,” she pronounces. “Majestic,” she repeats, pleased with her choice.

“Don’t you think so, Stan?”

“Hmmm?” He glances up from the pages of his dog-eared and Post-It-noted guidebook, his constant evening companion during the six weeks leading up to the trip.

“Oh yes…yes it’s great, hon. We’re doing the Arch today, too. Are you sure you want to go to the top? That’s looking like a pretty long line over there.”

This time it’s Gracie’s turn to say “Hmmm?” as she stands there, eyes to the sky, absorbing every detail.

“The top. Did you still want to go to the top?”

“Oh well…what do you think?”

“Well, if we’re going to do it, we’d better hustle over there now. It looks like the line is moving, but we’ll be cutting it close to get over to the Arch and then to” he stops to consult his book (section 4, Post-It note number 5), “La Belle Mer” (4 stars, 3 dollar signs). “And I know how much you’ve been wanting some good scallops.”

“Oh sure, honey, if you think we should go now we could just-“

“No, no, we can do it, but let’s get in that line now.”

They walk over and queue up for a ride to the top. Indeed, it does move quickly and in the elevator Stan consults his book again looking ahead to tomorrow’s schedule, silently congratulating himself for keeping them on track. This is, after all, a dream vacation, and they are going to see everything.

As he flips through pages, Gracie stares out over the ever-smaller cityscape, breathes in deeply and thinks, “Majestic.”

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by faith View Post
    Hmm... I've just read the thread.

Why don't my answers match other Ns?
    You mentioned "patterns" twice, tho...

The other thing is--if you've developed skills in Sensing (like, you're a typesetter or taken art history classes), you might have developed skills of your non-preferred function. Same would be true for Sensors who latch onto atmosphere, themes, meanings, etc.
    I should 'fess up. I first chose the "picture" option because I thought a painting might be more interesting to look at. I opened it and my reaction was much the same as niffer's: Yikes! A face! A person in jail! Ugh. I can't look at this mess.

So then I chose the tower so I could look at something and give an impartial report of my observations.

I'm curious about the distress the de Chirico is causing folks. I thought it was pretty neutral...but I know his work and I see the figures as objects. Also, seems like folks with a Feeling preference are more bothered, so next time I'll be sure to enlist someone who's not INTx to look at the images. I was after a strong image, but not a distressing image.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by laughing dolphin View Post
    I was still lurking when I saw the original post and I know it's after the fact, but here was my take on the first picture, the tower...
    Oh, it's on the internet, so there is no "after the fact."

Thanks for contributing!
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein

Happy to contribute! And just wondering if anyone else tends to randomly go off into creating stories, just because they're in your head...
    I spend so much time in my head sometimes I need a check - do others think this way or is it me?
    LD

MBTI
    ISFJ

Happy to contribute! And just wondering if anyone else tends to randomly go off into creating stories, just because they're in your head...
    I spend so much time in my head sometimes I need a check - do others think this way or is it me?
    LD
    I think it's neat that you can look at a picture and a story about the picture comes to mind for you. I think of that as being pretty creative!

MBTI
    type

LD
    Hm. I this deserves it's own thread.

You might also check out this thread.

Okay, I'll play.

My type: ISTP
    Picture: The Effiel Tower

I'm on dialup, so the picture loaded within a span of 10-15 seconds. I saw the sky at first - clear, but looked drab. As the picture continued to load, I thought that maybe it wasn't drab, but that maybe it was near dusk - and indeed that's the case - and I thought that might be a 'cool' (or perhaps 'aesthetic') thing. But when the picture finished loading, I noticed that there's smog on the horizon, and that people are bundled up. Definitely ruined the feeling. Looks drab again.

The tower itself looks somewhat interesting. The picture is taken front a nice angle, and encompasses several elements from the tower itself, to far off objects, to people on the ground. Clearly digital, it's exposed in almost a surreal way - the colours, I mean. I'm sure that has a tendency to piss off purists, but I think the effect is very enjoyable.. especially in the case of the foreground arch - very clear...

I think the picture is a very close 'miss' to something that would grab me.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

A Painting (INTJ)

A statue's head and hands have been placed so as to physically pass through a building's frontispiece, causing anthropomorphosis. There is a hint of Dali in the flat landscape, more utilitarian in intention than desolate in depiction. Just beyond the building, a pair of gentlemen is shaking hands next to a second statue of a resupine woman, this one properly settled on the ground. A two-story rotunda stands on the horizon and though it is the second-largest object in the picture, my eye moves past it to the sky. At this point I consider medium, my first guess egg-tempera, what with the application of dark-to-light.

Edit: A very enjoyable exercise, Rivercrow, especially after reading your little explanation. I look forward to more of these.

Quote Originally Posted by rivercrow View Post
    Hm. I this deserves it's own thread.

You might also check out this thread.
    Forgive the Noob...guess I've been lurking, yet have missed the relevant threads... thanks for the heads up.
    LD