First 123412 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Impressions:

1. First thoughts: Tried to type the painting style and artist. (Surreal and N-like, but lots of structure in the picture, things are composed in a very obvious structural ways, as a T would.)

2. Noticed composition first: How things are balanced, where the large areas of color were and how they interacted/supported each other, where the objects were related in comparison to each other, how all the elements fit together to create a balanced whole.

3. Consciously then began to focus on details, but had to choose to do it. Noticed the person sticking out of architecture on right, noticed the men talking, noticed what looked to be a steam engine in the background, and so forth. But details came last and were under conscious control, not first impression.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    infp

Intuition preference. INFP

A space

light comes down from the large window.
    little squares of light on the right wall.
    Ramp has what looks like a hole in it with light pouring down but it leads to ? nowhere.
    2nd overhead light is out. none of them are on.
    There are trees outside the courtyard. And the door is open to the courtyard. The courtyard is walled in, everything is cement.
    Last edited by Alienclock; 06-10-2007 at 06:15 PM.
    "May our ability to smell be greater than our propensity to stink."

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Image: Painting

Type: INTJ

Impression: A very interesting image. It appeared to be Italian because of the architecture I noticed. I do not really pay attention to composition, especially since it's a surrealistic painting where such things don't matter much. However, I will reflect on the drawing later and report back when I feel like it.

MBTI
    type

Oh, we need some folks who prefer Sensing to respond! I know a few of you--I'll start sending PMs!
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by rivercrow View Post
    Oh, we need some folks who prefer Sensing to respond! I know a few of you--I'll start sending PMs!
    How do you predict the Sensor will respond?

MBTI
    ISFJ

The Painting:

First things that caught my eye were the colors, specifically the yellow, green, and orange. I noticed that lighter colors were in the upper left, dark colors were in the right and bottom. Then I started looking at the content of the picture. Things that caught my eye then were, in order: the hands (oh, neat looking), the tower, the face (oh, how pythonesque), the sculpture in the middle (looks like a mountain range). I was then drawn to the box in the shadow of the buidling because it's shape and off color disturbed the even texture of the shadow. From there I noted the two men shaking hands to the side of the sculpture, the flags on the building, and the tiny train almost in the middle of the picture (how neat, reminds me of the pictures I used to see in the German books I used to read as a child such as Dr. Doolittle, Tom Sawyer, etc). I decided that I liked the lemon yellow around the tower, it brought memories of the smell of ground lemon peel, and the shade of orange just below the roof line of the building, just because.

Possibly part of the reason why I noticed the colors first is because that if I don't have my glasses on, I tend to cue in on colors and movement to help me see.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Type: INTJ

Picture: A Tower

It appears to be the Eiffel Tower, and in this picture I realize just how phallic it is - a huge, enduring, landmark to show just how big they feel they should be. The designer and builder was showing off.

Picture: A Space

Precise, yet boring, this space was not designed with purpose in mind. Thanks to large sheets of flat materials, this space could be created very cheaply and they're leveraging this fact. This tends to be the construction theory employed in Art Museums and government/academic buildings that have been built in the last 75 years. The space is only marginally usable for most applications, hence the lack of furniture and people. It has bad lighting in spite of large windows and is highly inefficient to heat and cool.

Picture: A Painting

I don't feel anything, but I'm drawn to the impending doom of the erupting volcano in the center of the image. This may be someone's really ugly portrayal of their inferred feelings regarding the last moments of life in Pompeii shortly before all life was snuffed out there. EDIT: Or it could just be a steam engine and the painting could have no purpose at all.

MBTI
    INFP

A painting

INFP

My immediate impression of the painting conveyed a sense of locking up or constraining Art. I noticed the outside world of the painting and it appeared to be rather dull, as if to say that art can only be "art" if it's in a museum or collection, whereas art can "never" be found outside of these institutions. Overall, I see this painting as overly humanistic: man-made buildings, man-made art, two gentlemen speaking with each other, trains and quite honestly, it dishearten me to even look at it. Nature is no where to be found. I mean, certainly, one could argue that you used components from nature to create a piece of art i.e. from one state of nature to the next, but I find the utter lack of nature to begin with in the painting as tragic e.g. closest thing to the natural being the sky and the sculpture of a mountain. I find it worth mentioning that I have a favorable bias towards the more natural than man-made. Then I suppose it would be fair to claim that art is naturally subjective and as soon as someone begins to qualify/quantify art that art dies.

Side note: I noticed that box at the bottom of the painting. It made me think of all geometric shapes and the impossibility of achieving a perfect shape. Drawing a shape, but not just limited to art, derives from a concept of that "perfect" shape. Would a perfect shape prove more aesthetically beautiful than say Michaelangelo's David or does one appreciate the flaw of not being able to create a "perfect" shape, due to our own imperfections as humans?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Default Tower

Oh. It's the Eiffel tower. From a weird angle--it goes up. There are people underneath. This angle makes the horizon look like it isn't horizontal and the top look really small. The arches look really cool and it's a different color than I expected. There is litter on the ground. How rude!
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFP

The space, INFP

The entire picture leads me towards the light, all the lines leading directly to it. It speaks of divinity, the space feels sacred, the room itself worships the light. In many ways it feels like how I imagine the place where people with near death experiences go to.

The room next door isn't really important. Hm.. just noticed a forest behind the wall of that room, don't know how it got there or why it's there. It's not important in the picture.