User Tag List

First 51314151617 Last

beyondaurora

Somebody (sorry, I can't find the post again) mentioned that the statue in the middle of "A painting" was the body to which the head (and I see now, the hands) belong. I completely missed that! I couldn't tell what that white blob was in the middle of the painting...the most I could make out of it was a reclining Jabba the Hut.

Also interesting how I completely missed that there is a third, unoccupied window in the building in the center of the hands (Pocketlint pointed that out) and that the white puff of smoke was coming out of a train (many caught that) -- I just saw a random cloud in the background.

Also, I noticed that NT's (no surprise) look very objectively at the picture, pointing out political themes and/or critiquing the picture using the appropriate jargon. As for myself, I instantly empathized with the statue and, probably more so, with the themes I associated with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Here is the ultimate perceiving difference between S and N:

Sensors know. Intuitives think.
    I noticed this with the responses. Very interesting. I HATED English literature classes because I always felt "wrong", that my classmates knew the correct answer which I never "saw". I realize now that I simply wasn't seeing as my classmates (likely, mostly S's) were.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

The Painting

I see a situation. I see a persona being trapped in a house..The hands indicate bondage. The melancholic expression on the face indicates discomfort with the current situation one finds oneself in...The head cutoff at the neck symbolizes helplessness. The ovel window in the building perhaps exemplifies a rather comfortable setting..so this presents some irony...a certain indescribable tension. The louvered, three-tiered 'vent' above the persona's right hand...it symbolizes emotional tension in the situation..represents stress and as the louvers seem to appear shut, which amplifies this. The small dormer window directly above it in the roof represents a parallel to freedom, relief, and potential for personal equilibrium. The third, small rectangular hole next to the left hand symbolizes a small degree of freedom allowed to this persona, and speaks to the fact that one is under control and also speaks of a domination. The shadow this side of the building symbolizes depression and gloom. There is a relationship between this and the persona, marked by the facial expression and shadows which overlay the surface of the 'skin'.

The two men out in the sideyard wearing suits symbolizes prosperity, as strengthened by the ornate statue in the middleground. The brightly-kept white color of the statue juxtaposed to the dirt and ground symbolizes money and status. The open space around them represents freedom. The sun shining brightly on them amplifies their enjoyment of pleasure and symbolizes fortune. The rather large, tall, pillared structure behind them symbolizes strength. The train in the middle ground represents financial prosperity and plants a seed of the idea of progress. The flags flying on the second tier of this round building represent abundance. The round architectural style and rounded roof symbolizes affluence. Its unique design with added pillars of plenty radially adorning it add to this theme. The two windows in this building symbolizes that this structure is inhabited and enjoyed by someone.

There is a transfer of power from weak to strong and moves from the foreground to the background in a relative way. The seemingly architectural flatness of the middleground symbolizes wealth. It's extension into the foreground creates a vacuum of tension, and perhaps asks the persona to engage in jealousy and/or envy as the hands don't quite reach the surface of the finely groomed grounds. The simple, dull box in the foreground creates a relationship between the obtained and the unobtained and speaks of jealousy and want. The mountains in the background, along with the persona appearing alone in the building represent loneliness.

The dense bar in the middleground gives rise to desire for what appears difficult to obtain.

Thank you for offering this thread.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Painting:

True genius is throwing out the box which holds rigid,
    conventional thinking taught by bureaucratic institutions,
    and those who want to make a buck off conformity.

Ergo, by putting yourself into one of sixteen personality type boxes,
    based on nothing more than an assumption of validity
    is the definition of raging conformity.

Oooh!
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

I chose the painting. My type is INFJ.

First impressions: an odd collection of objects and figures, which seem disconnected from each other. The time is sunset as the strong, golden light is coming from the side. I don't like to look at the large figure sticking out of the building on the right, as I find it strangely disturbing. She (the person seems like a female to me) is reaching for the dark box in the foreground, but it is out of her reach. Perhaps this is why she is so sad?

The two figures on the right are saying farewell to each other. They are taking their time because they are going to be apart for a long time. Are they lovers? One of them is going to leave on the steam train in the distance. I don't think they are ever going to see each other again.

They have some connection to the rock-like sculpture they are standing next too. Did they create it together?

The tall tower is out of place in such a desolate landscape. It is an odd structure with no windows, and yet someone has raised two flags from the roof. Is it a monument, erected by a powerful conqueror to signify his rule over this barren landscape?

I would like to see more of the surroundings, to help me better understand the meaning of this picture. Or perhaps to watch the scene become animated, to see how it changes over time.
    INFJ 9w1 sx/sp/so

"A wizard is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to." - Gandalf The Grey

And if I only could,
    I'd make a deal with God,
    And I'd get him to swap our places,
    Be running up that road,
    Be running up that hill,
    With no problems.

- Kate Bush

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Just noticed how I wrote that the two figures were on the right when they are in fact, on the left of the painting! It's amazing how often I get details like this wrong, while I'm focussing on trying to interpret signs and symbols.
    INFJ 9w1 sx/sp/so

"A wizard is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to." - Gandalf The Grey

And if I only could,
    I'd make a deal with God,
    And I'd get him to swap our places,
    Be running up that road,
    Be running up that hill,
    With no problems.

- Kate Bush

MBTI
    nnja
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    EII

LOL I thought the statue was rocks...
    "Don�t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive." - Howard Thurman

[SIGPIC]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l110/evillinclinations/fortune45.gif[/SIGPIC]

...and yes, I'm still on about that...

MBTI
    yupp

i wonder what the responses say about the personalities of everyone. I mean some are like yeah their's a tree others are like it's a metaphor for blah blah blah blah and others are like oooh story time! and what does that say?

I don't think any of the pictures had a tree, I need to stop using tree as my go to example. I don't remember, I'm not going to go double check now.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Yeah what's with the trees today?

MBTI
    yupp

i don't know they're nice, i guess.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

I chose the painting

1. First thing i notice is that the greek statue man looks "incarcerated" due to his hands looking like they are "in the stalks".

2. Next i notice the volcano in the background. The incarcerated greek statue makes me think of pompie (sp?) due to the greek-->roman thing. The laying statue flips from a laying woman to a set of mountains, back in forth in my mind. depending on what archetype i see the picture.

3. Suddenly the business suit wearing people next to the laying greek statue jostles every Vibe the picture had been building. Suddenly it goes from this greco-roman ideologue prison of pompie to a simple art museum in Japan.

4. I say Japan because the lighting + the mountains + the suits + lack of buildings makes me think it must be a japanese place just outside the city in the mountainous ranges. Like if we turned the camera, we might look down onto a huge Asian city.

Se, Ni, Ne, or Si? you decide